PDA

View Full Version : Don't take any shortcuts or risk spoiling the "Magic"

Pages : [1] 2

Sy-
12-14-2005, 12:29 PM
I was in Disneyland on 12/3. After Fantasmic and after they cancelled the fireworks we tried to make our way out of the park only to be greeted with bad "people traffic". When we eventually reached the end of mainstreet near the coca-cola/hot dog station the CM's forced us to take a "shortcut" that led us behind the coca-cola building and returned us back in the park between the firestation and emporium. If you have any kids I know you wouldn't want their last memories of Disneyland to be an alleyway with big gary steel buildings on the left, dumpsters and CM's sitting around eating on the right. It definately didn't look like "Main Street" back there.

I know Disneyland is just a facade. I've even been on the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour in WDW, where they take you in the underground tunnels. There is a reason that they have an age limit of 16 for the kttk tour guests. It's so they don't spoil the "Magic" for the little ones. Luckily my daughter was asleep when we went through this "shortcut" so the "Magic" still exists in her mind.

Don't spoil the "Magic"... Don't take the "shortcut"!!!

~Sy

hlbtimes2
12-14-2005, 12:44 PM
We took that "short cut" back when the main street electical parade was coming to an end a few years ago. They had record crowds at this time (which were simular to recent numbers). We also took a short cut back near village haus. There is a big gate they can open up. I dont remember where exactly it let us out, but I remember we were headed toward the back of the park- maybe near the stage where snow white was at?

Dh and I thought it was neat, but I'm glad we didnt have children with us.

Syndrome
12-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Me and my wife were at the park this past weekend and the crowds were insane. After the fireworks, they re-routed people back behind Main Street. My wife felt the same way as you - felt it ruined the magic of the park to see the garbage cans and cardboard crusher. :) I thought it was kinda cool - got to see CM lockers and stuff.

TP2000
12-14-2005, 01:37 PM
They do the same thing to people every night after Fantasmic! at MGM Studios in Walt Disney World. In fact, the stadium they built for that show was apparently purposely designed to dump people out a back alley that's a shortcut down the hill to the Main Entrance. It's ugly, charmless, lit up by industrial flourescent lights, and kind of smells like trash. And I was sent down there not on a Saturday night at Christmas when everyone knows it's busy and the CM's are just trying to prevent gridlock and unsafe situations; my post-Fantasmic! backstage adventure at WDW was on a weeknight in November when the place wasn't busy at all.

I understand the backstage crowd control outlet at Disneyland more. They are just trying to keep us all safe and sound, and prevent the types of scenarios that people have complained on message boards about in recent weeks.

CrazyTrain
12-17-2005, 02:57 PM
I'd LOVE to take that backstage shortcut! THough I do agree that it might ruin the magic for kids!

SifuJustin
12-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Perpahs Disneyland should consider creating a themed walk way behind the buildings like Disneyland Paris has with the Liberty and Discovery Arcades on Main Street. I know there is not a lot of room back there though.

Justin

ILovePoker
12-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Come on people. You should know that Disneyland isn't all fairytales behind the buildings. Saying that this backstage thing ruins the magic just sounds so juvenile! It's life, get over it.

DISNEYLAND GUY
12-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Come on people. You should know that Disneyland isn't all fairytales behind the buildings. Saying that this backstage thing ruins the magic just sounds so juvenile! It's life, get over it.

I believe the post mostly talks about the guest's children(so it is juvenile):

It's so they don't spoil the "Magic" for the little ones. Luckily my daughter was asleep when we went through this "shortcut" so the "Magic" still exists in her mind.

Because not all children know the difference between whats real and different, its all in the power of their imagination. So they are talking about for the children's sake, to not take the shortcut at keep the magic alive for them.

Thats all

Disney Village
12-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Do you have a choice? What if you have no option but to be routed through the backstage area? Good thing your kids were asleep.

PragmaticIdealist
12-18-2005, 04:49 PM

Backstage areas are back-stage for a reason.

The suspension of disbelief the fictions of The Magic Kingdom attempt to create in guests is completely undermined by allowing these people to go backstage.

Such a practice conveys unprofessionalism and poor showmanship to everyone regardless of age. Disney needs to apply its efforts towards remedying the situation without having to resort to lowering show standards in this way.

Esmerelda
12-19-2005, 12:38 PM
Sorry, but even at Disneyland safety comes before show. As we all know, the crowds have been insanely huge lately. The only reason people are led backstage is to lessen the chance of being trampled or in gridlock for hours.

I don't think it's unprofessional to try and keep our guests safe.

prncsmsj
12-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Due to a medical situation last week, we saw the whole backstage area behind the right side of Main Street. I actually thought it was pretty neat and was excited to see all that stuff, but then again I didn't have kids with me.

ILovePoker
12-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Backstage areas are back-stage for a reason.

The suspension of disbelief the fictions of The Magic Kingdom attempt to create in guests is completely undermined by allowing these people to go backstage.

Such a practice conveys unprofessionalism and poor showmanship to everyone regardless of age. Disney needs to apply its efforts towards remedying the situation without having to resort to lowering show standards in this way.
Okay! Then Disneyland would have to tear down the whole railroad entrance and knock down all of Main Street to allow wider walkways. Your idea is completely unfeasable and the costs would be astronomical. Safety always comes first, I can't believe you think the idea of childish "magic" is more important than getting everyone out of the park safely.

splashmtngurl
12-19-2005, 03:51 PM
perhaps its because im older but when we took the "short-cut" in our trip on december 8th or something like that...it didnt seem that bad. we were greatful for the shortcut and if you dont mind me asking, although perhaps thats not the most magical of experiences how magical is it trying to make your way through a stream of people looking up at all the those people, i cant imagine thats the most magical experience. Even i get frustrated in those crowds. i would think the most magical thing would be to hang around untill the crowds thin out and make the most of it...just a thought tho, just my p/o

Drince88
12-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Due to a medical situation last week, we saw the whole backstage area behind the right side of Main Street.
Hope everything is ok!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
12-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Walking past the Nichols baling press is less than magical, but it has to beat getting squished flat or being separated from a small child as you make the way down Main Street.

We stayed for the fireworks on the 12th and as we were exiting the cast members were offering the "backstage" option. After reading about some of the nightmares experience by other padders trying to exit the park, we headed straight for the backstage area. The kids were so tired they didn't even notice where we were and the adults all thought it was a hoot to see the back side of Main Street.

PragmaticIdealist
12-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Okay! Then Disneyland would have to tear down the whole railroad entrance and knock down all of Main Street to allow wider walkways. Your idea is completely unfeasable and the costs would be astronomical.

Not quite.... I'm not going to argue with you, but all this insanity could be avoided with better planning and better management.

SandraVB79
12-20-2005, 06:27 AM
Not quite.... I'm not going to argue with you, but all this insanity could be avoided with better planning and better management.

I don't think it has been Disney's purpose of being overwhelmed by guests, I don't think they thought it was going to be so bad. I think they are somehow victim of their own success at this very moment. The only thing possible is letting in less people, but then everyone would complain that they didn't get into the park.

I think, somehow, it's also a little the "responsability" of the guests. Just use your common sense. Just like Disney advises to avoid peak restaurant hours to have lunch or dinner, try to not exit the park right after the fireworks. Leave before, or leave way after the big crowds. Just sit down on a bench, enjoy a snack, enjoy the evening magic, take one more Jungle Cruise, ...

prncsmsj
12-20-2005, 07:25 AM
Hope everything is ok!
Everything is great now. Thanks.

Opus1guy
12-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Just for the record, Disneyland has been using the backstage areas as audience-control (Disneyland has no "crowds" ;)) flow bypass routes since the early 1960's. So this is certainly nothing new. Almost every Summer these were used.

While having to take these bypasses certainly is not the best way to leave the Park, I don't think they really ruin the "magic" all that much. I mean, you just see the backs of some buildings, perhaps a Jungle boat or two at their dock. It's not like you're seeing how they create any of the magic or see any Characters with their heads off or anything.

For several Summers (and Special Events) past they even rigged a backstage bypass leading from where the bathrooms are at Space Mountain direct across to Town Square. They just had Parking Lot cones lining a "path" that was policed by Cast Members and that was it. A backstage shortcut between Tomorrowland and Main Street. Most Guests were thrilled to be able to visit backstage for even a minute! Of course when they did that, they took extra precaution to temporarily relocate the Character Zoo rest area adjacent to the Town Square backstage gate.

I don't think one minute of walking by some back doors of the Main Street buildings and a couple of trash compacters, is going to ruin the magic of Disneyland. Heck, you used to see much worse from the Skyway buckets. And that was a bona fied attraction!

But I suppose if someone feels it's ruined the magic for them...it has.

As someone else posted here, I really like the parallel Main Street "Arcades" that Disneyland Paris has that takes care of this problem and more.

Dr. G
12-20-2005, 11:08 AM
It's not like you're seeing how they create any of the magic or see any Characters with their heads off or anything.

Has the Queen of Hearts been angered backstage too? She threatens to take my head off too everytime in Alice in Wonderland. ;)

Opus1guy
12-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Has the Queen of Hearts been angered backstage too? She threatens to take my head off too everytime in Alice in Wonderland. ;)

Well...I didn't mean it quite like that ;), but you also bring up another point: I didn't mean that the "face characters" would have their heads taken off either! :)

Stevebp
12-20-2005, 05:57 PM
This past weekend (December 16-18) during the Christmas Parade we got caught in "people traffic" near the Coca Cola Building and wanted to get to the Disney Emporium so when that option was offered to us by a cast member we took it. It did not ruin any of the Disney Magic for me or the other person I was with. If this next part if off topic excuse me I need some feedback and though ( I may post this topic in another thread) The crowds were at a dangerous level this past weekend so much that the Fire Marshall had to restrict attendance twice to only prepaid – no tickets were sold at the gate for several hours. I realize with Christmas and the 50th that more people are going but is money more important than the safety of the guest. I have gone to Disneyland for many years but in the last two have noticed that the crowds are more than the capacity of the park as it relates to safety and crowds do not bother me that much but this past weekend has opened my eyes to reconsider time of the year where attendance is so dangerous.
Maybe I am over reacting and would appreciate positive feedback good or bad on my comments. Thank you.

newhdplayer
12-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Heck, you used to see much worse from the Skyway buckets. And that was a bona fied attraction!

That's why they were taken out. You were able to see roof-tops, and floodlights, and cables, etc...and that ruined the magic.

The Mouse Is Back
12-20-2005, 08:44 PM
That was not the reason the Skyway was removed.

It was removed because of a few IDIOTS who behaved in an IDIOTIC way, thereby causing accidents to happen. Legal decided it was not worth the risk to keep the attraction running.

And it never spoiled the magic for me and many others right here on this forum. It added to it.

-Allegra-