PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report (Dec 3-11, 2005)

WITron
12-13-2005, 10:25 PM
This is really long so I will post it in batches by the day and I will also write up an abreviated report. So here goes.

Day 1 - Arrival

We got up at 5:30 am in order to get all the last minute items together and have a decent breakfast before getting on the plane for 4 plus hours. We got to the airport about an hour and half before our flight. The good thing was that I had checked in online and had printed our boarding passes the night before. The biggest pain was going through security with two kids, a stroller, our winter jackets, two car seats, a camera bag, and a lap top. After struggling through security we made it to our gate.

Since I had to put in a car seat for dd2 I utilized the early boarding, but still really felt rushed trying to get the seat in before takeoff. DW sat with dd2 and I sat with dd1. We were hoping that dd2 would nap during the flight, but that was not to be. I set up dd1 with Monsters, Inc. on the laptop and walked up and down the aisle with dd2 to keep her from screaming. There was a guy sitting next to me and dd1 that I had to keep crawling over. My wife and I were surprised that he didn’t ask to move, since there were plenty of open seats. I ended up moving to an empty seat behind my wife before landing.

We finally got to LA and hauled our stuff to the pickup point for the rental car. It was at this point that I realized and informed my wife that I forget the confirmation numbers at home. She was not too happy about that and a little skeptical that things would go well.
We get to the rental place and there is a long line, which didn’t make her any happier. I go inside and fortunately I had signed up online for the frequent rental program. I was able to walk right to the garage and only had one person in front of me. My wife was surprised by how quickly I had gotten in and out. So, now we were off to the hotel.

I had gotten a map and figured out a route to the hotel. I get going and ended up making an unexpected detour. I keep looking for the 91 freeway and we keep getting closer and closer to LA. Next thing I know we are at USC, GO SC. I realize that the freeway that I was looking at on the map was not the one that we had taken, so I should have headed south instead of north. I readjust my route, but there is heavy traffic through downtown, so I just turn around and head south the way I should have gone in the first place.

As we get closer to the park the excitement grows. Then there it is. We turn onto harbor and dd1 is telling us how excited she is to be going to Disneyland. We get to the Carousel Inn and check in. When I booked the room I had requested 2 queen size beds and a crib. We get to the room and there is only bed. We go down to the lobby and inform them of this and the only thing that was available was a suite, so he upgrades us at no charge. I am so glad that we got the suite. We put the girls in the back room and my wife and I were in the front. The only complaint about the Carousel, that my wife had, was the bed was hard.

My parents also came out with us, but stayed in Vegas for a few days to visit friends before driving to LA. The plan had been that after we had checked in we would go buy groceries and take them back to the time share that they were in and that we would be checking into on Sunday, but my wife suggested that we stop and see if they wanted to go with us and so we could find the resort since I left the information at home. I went to the front desk to see if they knew where the Dolphin Cove Resort was and they had no clue. So, I drove down Harbor and remembered that it was on Orangewood and find it no problem. I ask my parents if they want to come with us and they declined. We drove up harbor to the Disney outlet and the obligatory In-N-Out dinner. Then we headed over to Food 4 Less for our grocery shopping

When we got back to my parents at 6:20 there was a note that they had gone to dinner and to give them a call. Well, the problem was that I did not have their cell phone number with me. The girls were really tired after all the travel, so we take them back to our hotel and get them down to sleep. After they were down I went back to drop off the groceries and they still aren’t back and it is now 7:30. I wait for about 30 minutes and they still aren’t back. Then it hits me that I do have their cell phone number. My wife packed the address book so that we could write Christmas cards out. I call my parents and they are just turning into the resort. I drive back there and drop off the groceries. I head back to the room and after watching the highlights of the USC game I call it a night.

WITron
12-13-2005, 10:26 PM
Day 2-First day at Disneyland

DD2 woke up at 4:30 to nurse and dd1 couldn’t sleep, so I went into lay down with dd1 while my wife nursed dd2. After about half an hour I went back to my own bed, but couldn’t really sleep. I watched TV for about an hour and by then everyone was up and we were getting ready to head to the park.

About an hour latter we went up to the breakfast room and I was blown away by the view. We were there early and there weren’t many people there yet. We got a table right by the window and while we were eating we were pointing out the different sites at Disneyland that we could see. We finished up and walked over to the parks.

It was a nice easy walk from the carousel and we got to the gates a little before 8, when the gates open. There were long lines waiting to get in, but they moved very quickly. We walked through the right tunnel and decided to not get a stroller for the morning as there was a long lone to get them. We walked up Main Street and the first character we see is Minnie Mouse. We tried to get a picture with her, but she had to go. We also saw Mickey and Pluto, but the lines were to long.

We got up to the castle and wait a few minutes to get our picture taken. Then we walked into Fantasyland and dd1 was so excited. We headed to Peter Pan first, since the line was really short. While we were in line for Peter Pan we could see Cinderella on the carousel. After we got off we went over by the carousel and got a picture of dd1 with her. Then it was onto Dumbo, followed by the carousel, and then Snow White. This was a little much for dd2, so we decided to do some shopping before having to leave to check out.

We left the park at 10 and felt like a fish trying to swim upstream against all the people coming in. We check out of the carousel and move over to the Dolphin’s Cove Resort for the remainder of our stay. We arrived at about 11 and we were able to check in right away, which was a good thing, since after lunch dd2 needed to take a nap. The other option was for us to go to my parents unit and put her down there. DD2 took a couple hour nap and we were off back to the park.

We got back to the park at about 3 and proceeded to get a stroller for dd2 and the best part was that it was free with our Disney Visa. This time we walked in through the left tunnel because the right side was blocked for the parade and it was just weird, because I always enter through the right tunnel. We met up with my parents and their friends and they have a spot staked out for the Candlelight Procession. Since we have two young children with us, we agree that we will take the girls and meet them back in an hour.

The only downside to this plan was that the Christmas parade was going on and Main Street was all blocked up. I decided that the quickest route would be through the stores. This idea worked for the most part until we hit the watch store. Then everything was at a stand still, so we decided just to do some shopping until the parade was done. Once the parade was over we headed up the street and decided to go on Jungle Cruise. I really enjoyed the new effects and our skipper was really good.

It was time for us to head back and wait for the Candlelight procession. My wife and dd1 stopped at Main Street to get some popcorn while I went ahead and met the rest of our group who were already waiting. The spot that we had was fantastic. We were right behind the seats and rope on the right hand side. DD1 had decided to wear her Snow White dress and the CMs kept making comments about knowing who she was and saying hi. Two of the CMs were Christopher and Andrea, who were working crowd control.

As the time for the procession to begin was coming closer and closer our space was getting smaller and smaller. Even though dd1 was right at the ropes her view was being blocked by a lady that came in that had a large purse. So, just before it began we slipped dd1 under the ropes and it was then that she informed us that she had to go potty. We told her she had to hold it since there was no way to get through the crowds. A few minutes latter Andrea came over and asked dd1 if she wanted to sit with her to watch the show. It was a fantastic performance. About half way through my wife tells me that her back is hurting, so I asked Christopher if she could sit in one of the empty seats and he allowed her to. Not only that, but he helped divert dd2’s attention.

We left after the performance and headed back to Dolphin’s Cove. Since it we didn’t get dinner at the park and it was late we decided to just have grilled cheese sandwiches. Everyone turned in early to get ready for another busy day.

WITron
12-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Day 3 – Adventures in parking

After a good nights sleep we woke up and fixed breakfast. While cooking the bacon to go with our eggs the smoke detector started going off and nothing I did would get it to stop, so I had to call down to the front desk and have them send someone up to fix it. Now that we were well fed it was time to get ready to head out for the morning. DD2 had other plans and was getting tired and needed a nap. DD1 and I headed downstairs to visit with my parents while dd2 slept. After waking up dd2 it was time to head to the park.

We get into the park a little before 11 and we have reservations at the Blue Bayou at 11:30. By the time we get in and get a stroller it is almost time to go check in. Since we didn’t have much time we decided to go on Pirates. We had to do some convincing of dd1 to go on, but as soon as we get inside she really insists that she doesn’t ride, so we informed the cm when we get up to the boat that we are just going to exit and we walked out when the next boat came.

Now it was time to check in for lunch, but we had to wait a few minutes. While I was waiting my wife took the kids and wandered through the shops in New Orleans Square.
Once I was able to check in and we were waiting to be seated dd2 started to get fussy. After a while my wife was able to get her to calm down and we were seated. We had a nice table right by the water.

Everyone in the group, except me ordered the Monte Cristo sandwich. I ordered the prime rib. The meal was really good, but half way through the meal dd2 started to get fussy again, so I took dd2 out and walked her around New Orleans Square while my wife could eat and then come and watch dd2. After my wife finished her sandwich she took dd2 to the baby care center and I finished my meal and ordered the fried cheesecake to take back and share in the evening.

When we had finished our lunch I went with my parents over to the baby care center and my wife wasn’t there. I had my parents stay there with dd1 while I went for a little walk. As I was walking I spotted my wife, she had finished and walked to the corner to look for us. After getting the group back together we went and looked at the pictures we had taken the day before in front of the castle. The one where they insert Tinkerbell was cute, but we decided not to buy one.

As we were walking dd1 saw the Astro Orbiter and wanted to ride, so I took her on and she absolutely loved it. Then we walked over to Critter Country to ride the Pooh ride, which she had said that she wanted to ride. By the time we got over there she didn’t want to ride it. My parents took the girls while we went on Pooh. I thought it was a very cute ride and we saw the tribute to the Country Bears.

When we got off dd2 was sacked out in the stroller and dd1 didn’t want to do anything we suggested. We pulled out the map and had dd1 look at it and decide what she wanted to ride. She decided she wanted to go to Toon Town and ride the rollercoaster. As we were walking over there she saw Dumbo and wanted to ride that again. The line was long so my wife and I told her that we would do it again. Then my parents said that they would take her while my wife and I did either Pirates or the Haunted Mansion.

My wife and I headed back over to New Orleans Square and decide to ride the Haunted Mansion. The wait was only about 15 minutes. We really enjoyed the layover. My only complaint is that the music is too loud so you can’t hear the narration. When we were done we headed over to Pirates to meet my parents. We got there and only my dad and dd2 are there. It turns out that my mom took dd1 on the train. While we were waiting my wife and walked dd2 around the stores in New Orleans and ended up sitting for a while over by the train station, just taking in the atmosphere. After watching several trains arrive and depart, and not seeing my mom we headed over to where my dad was and my mom had just gotten back, come to find out latter that my mom took dd1 on Casey Jr.

Once we had met up we decided that we would go over to Ariel’s Groto and see Ariel. When we walking through the hub I spotted some nice seats to view the parade and then watch the fireworks. I sent my wife on ahead so that I could talk to my parents and have them grab the spot. By the time I talked to my parents and crossed the street my wife was no where to be seen. I walked up by Ariel and they weren’t in line, so I just kept circling the area. Finally my wife spotted me. She was with my parents and had staked out a spot for the parade.

The spot that they had staked out was right by the restrooms in Fantasyland, across from the Matterhorn. We had a really good viewing spot and just a stroller in front of us. I was able to get a lot of good pictures without anyone in front. The only issue was a lady that was standing to my left and a little in front of me kept leaning and then moving over. After the parade it was time to get a spot for the fireworks.

We fought the crowd walking down Main Street until we got to the hub and found a nice spot in front of the castle. They had the castle blocked because they were doing some filming, so it made it a little hard to see the projections. While we were waiting we let dd2 walk around a little in the crowds and she had fun making new friends. After about 45 minutes the show started. I was totally blown away by it. I had seen the video, but that doesn’t do it justice. After the fireworks it was time to head out, since the park closed early for the cast member party.

The crowd getting out of there was a madhouse. My wife took dd1 and headed out and told me at the place that I would know. I took dd2 in the stroller and fought the crowd to the exit. When we got to the tunnel I ditched the stroller and grabbed our stuff to head out. I walked out the main exit and waited for my wife. I waited and waited and waited and never saw her. After about an hour they had cleared the park and most of the esplanade. I didn’t know what to do, so I decided that I would head back to the van and see if my wife had the same idea.

When I got to the van my wife and dd1 were there. It turned out that she had meant for me to meet her at the sun in the middle of the esplanade, which is where we had met my parents the last time we were there a year and a half ago. We pull out of our spot and head out and that was when the real fun began. Not only was it a madhouse walking out of the park, but it was nuts exiting the parking structure. DD2 was crying because she was tired and didn’t want to be in her seat. Somehow dd1 managed to fall asleep with dd2 screaming her head off. Finally dd2 fell asleep and an hour after pulling out of our spot we pulled into the hotel.

WITron
12-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Day 4 – Day off

We had decided to take a break on Tuesday after all the events of the weekend. After having breakfast I took dd1 on a Target run while my wife put dd2 down for a nap. When I got back dd2 was napping, so I was going to take dd1 shopping to keep her from waking up dd2 and also to give my wife some quiet time.

My wife suggested that instead I should take dd1 to the clubhouse and see what they had. When I got there they were doing a craft. So, we sat down, colored, and made Christmas cards. The activities manager informed me that they had an area upstairs that had games and toys. After we had finished the cards I took dd1 up there and it they all kinds of things to play with. We ended up playing a game of Candy Land.

When we got back it was time for lunch and naps. We had noticed on the activities list that they were doing a craft of name bracelets. DD1 made a bracelet for her and dd2. Then it was time to get changed and go for a swim. The water was really warm and enjoyable, but the air was cold when we got out.

After we got back and changed I took the girls back to the clubhouse to play while my wife did a few things and got dinner ready for me to grill. While we were playing for about half an hour the phone started ringing and would ring periodically. Not knowing who it was I didn’t answer. We had been playing for about an hour and my wife still hadn’t come, so I called the room and my wife told me that she had been calling because she did not have a key and could not get through the gate to the clubhouse.

While I was grilling our dinner dd1 went in and played some games, since they were having a family game night. Then we heard the fireworks going off, so we went up some spiral stairs to see some of the fireworks. After dinner my parents came up to watch the girls, so we could go to Downtown Disney. I went to go put some fresh batteries in dd1 glow friend and it was then that we discovered that the camera bag was missing, with my wife’s and dd1’s passes to the park and dd1’s new princess camera.

We went ahead to Downtown Disney even though we really weren’t in the mood. We went into most of the stores and just window shopped. When we were finished with our shopping we went and got some ice cream, which we were really disappointed with. While we were sitting on the planter eating our ice cream someone came up and asked if we would do a survey. We said sure and she went through the usual questions. Then she came to a question that we couldn’t help but laugh at. She asked if we were planning on eating anything in Downtown Disney, as we are eating our sundae. We got back to the hotel and turned in getting ready for California Adventure.

WITron
12-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Day 5 – California Adventure

I got up early and did some searching for a number that I could get through so I could talk to lost and found and see if our camera bag had been turned in. I finally got a number that I could talk to a live person and was given the phone number for lost and found direct. I tried to call and just received a message to try and call latter. I finally decided to drive over and talk to some one.

I got over there and parked at Downtown Disney and walked over to Guest Relations to see if there was anyway that I could get into the park and go to lost and found. After about half an hour of waiting, I was then informed that the lost and found had been moved to the outside of California Adventure. I walked over there and filled out the lost form, meanwhile one of the cm’s went back to see if it was back there. It seemed like forever that she was checking. Finally she came out and asked me to describe the cameras, which I did. It had been turned in and the passes were still in it.

When I got back to the hotel dd2 was still napping. DD2 woke up and we headed over to California Adventure. After we walk through security dd1 starts crying that she doesn’t want to go to California. We make it through the gates and head to the toy store and look around to get dd1’s mind off of not wanting to be there. Once she had finally calmed down we walked back over to the Paradise Pier area so we can get some lunch. Of course we had to stop and walk through the bread factory.

We stopped and got pizza for lunch before heading to the Sun Wheel and we were able to walk right on and had one of the non-swinging gondolas. I love thrill rides and will ride on just about anything, but I am not too sure about the swinging gondolas. Then we took a spin on the carousel. After that we went into the tortilla factory. Normally I don’t care much for corn tortillas, but the ones we were given were warm and tasty. After that little snack we headed to It’s Tough to be a bug. DD1 did not want to go in, but went anyways and ended up loving it.

DD1 loves watching Playhouse Disney, so we headed over to the stage show. Once again dd1 did not want to go in, but really enjoyed it. We then headed over to the animation building. We went to go see Crush, but both girls were getting fussy, so we just walked out. The one thing that I was disappointed about was that there are no longer any princesses at the animation building and you have to do the meal at Ariel’s Groto to see them.

Since the girls were fussy we headed over to Enginears to load up on Mr. Potato Head parts. I had a blast filling up the carton with as many parts as I could stuff in it. I had dd1 help pick out parts. We ended up getting all the Ariel and Tinkerbell parts along with a lot of other fun stuff. As I was checking out the cm let us pick out 3 discontinued parts. Then we went and got ice cream. My wife and I shared a sundae and dd1 had a cone to herself. After we finished our sundae I took dd2 over to get a loaf of sourdough bread to take back to the timeshare with us, since dd1 was still eating her cone. When I got back dd1 had just finished and we headed out.

On our way back to the car we decided to do some shopping in Downtown Disney. We walked through the World of Disney and then headed up to Build a Bear. Both of our girls picked out bears and we bought clothes for them. DD1 picked out the pink Mickey shirt with the ears and gloves and we picked out the Build a Bear shirt for dd2. Then it was back to the room and another day.

WITron
12-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Day 6 – The wash and meeting old friends

This was another planned down day for us. My wife took dd1 to the clubhouse for a craft while I stayed back as dd2 napped. After dd2 woke up and we had lunch we headed back to the Disney and Sees outlet stores. We ended up finding gifts for most of the people that we were looking for at the Disney outlet and some tasty candy from Sees.

When we got back we did a couple of loads of wash at the hotel. The nice thing was that the machines were free to use. When I got there my parents were there, so I talked with them for a while to finalize plans for the next day. With laundry done I headed back to the room and we had dinner.

We had made plans to meet up with some old friends of mine and hang out while my parents watched the girls. My friends arrived and we decided to head to Downtown Disney. As we were heading into Downtown Disney my wife informed me that she had left her pass in her back pocket of her jeans. I told her that I didn’t see it when I put the clothes in the dryer.

My wife and I did some shopping at the World of Disney. We wanted to pick up matching shirts for all of us so that we could take a Christmas picture at the park the next day. Were they had the Christmas shirts there were some people were just sitting on the ledge and would not move so that we could look at different sizes. It was really frustrating trying to pick out the shirts with these rude people.

After we did our shopping my friends were hungry, so we went to the Rain Forrest Café. The wait was about 30 minutes, but on of my friends bought the VIP card and we got in at half the time. My wife and I had a big dinner, so we just shared an appetizer with one of my friends. Then we ordered the volcano to split between the four of us. We really enjoyed the Rain Forest Café and catching up with my friends. By the time we got back it was 11:30 and we didn’t get to bed for about another hour.

WITron
12-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Day 7 – Another day at Disneyland and the found ticket

I had planned on getting up early and heading to the park right away because they were releasing the Chronicles of Narnia pin, which I really wanted. I got up at about 7 and woke up dd1 and had a quick breakfast before heading to the park. We parked at Downtown Disney and got in line for the monorail. A little before 9 they let us onto the monorail and I asked to ride in the back since the front was already taken. We got into the park and I walked quickly with my daughter to the LGM store and got in line. Just ahead of me in line were my parents. I asked my mom to run over to Space Mountain and use her pass along with mine and my daughter’s to get fast passes for when we came back to meet another friend that night.

After I bought the pin I took dd1 on the Astro Orbiter again and then to meet Ariel. We got in line a little before 10, when she would arrive. It didn’t take us long for our turn and my daughter was being shy with Ariel. Ariel made a comment about Ursula taking everyone’s voice, since it seemed no one would talk with her. Ariel asked my daughter what we were going to do next and I said we were going to do the Matterhorn. Then Ariel told my daughter that she was the bravest girl she had met.

We got in line for the Matterhorn and the wit time was posted at 20 minutes and we were supposed to meet my parents in 15 minutes, but since my daughter wanted to go on the ride we stayed in line. When 20 minutes passed and I knew that we would not be getting on for at least 10 more minutes I called my parents and told them where I was and to meet us there. The wait ended up being about 30 minutes. My daughter enjoyed the ride, but was afraid of the “ghost”, actually the Abominable Snowman.

I left dd1 with my parents so that she could go on some more rides while I went back to the hotel to pick up my wife and dd2. On my way out I stopped in the candy store to see when they were going to be making more candy canes and they told me that the line would start at about 11:30. Since I knew I would not be back in time I called my dad and asked if he would stand inline to pick one up for us.

My wife informed me when I picked her up that she had found her ticket. It turned out that it was just little pieces. Since my wife’s ticket was unusable we purchased a one day pass for her. When we got back they were just finishing making the candy canes and we met my dad when he was done. On our way up to meet my mom and dd1 we ran into them coming from Dumbo.

It was lunch time and we headed to Rancho del Zocalo. The line to get the food was long, but it was very tasty. DD1 wanted a corn dog and since there were none to be found in the area we shared some of our chips with her until we got to Main Street to pick her up one. While we were eating dd2 started getting fussy and I took her and started walking with her. I just about had asleep several times, but people not paying attention would come by and bump the stroller waking her.

We then headed over to Main Street to get dd1 a corn dog and so my wife could take dd2 into the baby care center to try and calm her down. I could not believe the size of the corn dog at the Red Wagon. When my wife was done with dd2, my parents watched the girl while we went to go buy some gold mouse ears for dd1. By the time we got back from shopping dd1 had eaten about half of the corn dog and was full.

Now it was time to head down by the tree for our Christmas picture. We had the photographer take a couple with our camera and theirs. Then we were trying to get some pictures of our daughters under the tree, but there were several people waiting to get pictures done, so we headed to the other side. We tried to get a good picture, but the girls weren’t cooperating with us. Finally after about 15 minutes my wife held dd2 and I tried to get in close enough so that she wouldn’t be in the picture.

DD1 had told us earlier in the day that she wanted to ride the Pooh ride and we headed over in that direction. When we get over there she informs us that she doesn’t want to go on it. We then hoof it over to It’s A Small World. It was almost parade time and the crowds were gathering to watch it. We fought our way through the crowd and by the time we got up there dd2 was asleep in the stroller. I decided that I would wait while everyone else went on the ride.

The Parade of Dreams came by while I was waiting and I was not too impressed. I like the Christmas parade much better. The parade finished and dd2 woke up and was fussy again and the rest of my group came off It’s A Small World. We decided to head back and get some dinner. I went on ahead to the exit, since dd2 wanted to be held by my wife and my wife’s back was sore from holding her. The one thing dd2 wanted was a balloon. I stopped to ask where I could get one, but there were none out.

As I exited I noticed Cinderella over by the floral Mickey as you enter the park. I walked out and my wife and dd1 were not at the spot that we were going to meet, so I went back to the gate and as soon as I saw them I told them to go over to Cinderella. They were the last people in the line. Even though the attendant kept telling people that the line was closed they kept forcing their way in. I watched from the gate as dd1 got some time with Cinderella and then we went back to the hotel to get dinner.

My parents joined us for dinner and then after we got dd2 down to bed they put dd1 down so we could head back to the park to meet another old friend and his wife. We had planned to meet between 7:30 and 8:00. By the time we got to the park the Christmas parade was going on, so we had to fight the crowds to get up to the spot we had agreed to meet. We walked around the hub searching for my friend, but it was hard to see in the low light. I was just getting ready to call my parents and get my friend’s cell phone number when he spotted us.

After the introductions we headed to Space Mountain to use the fast passes I had gotten earlier in the day. I really like what they have done to it. When we got off both of the wives said they would never do that again and my friend and I were all excited. We went and sat down at Club Buzz so the women could recover and we could talk. The band came up and was really loud and annoying, so we went in search of a better place. We ended up heading towards It’s a Small World.

The fireworks were about to start and Small World was just wall to wall people. We found a place to stand and we waited for the show. Then they announced that the fireworks were delayed. They made the announcement several times and finally they said that the show would go on as scheduled. After a few minutes the show started. It was a totally different show there as compared to in front of the castle. This time we got to see Tinkerbell fly. When the fireworks were done it started to snow. We were just standing there waiting for it to be done because it just snowed and snowed and snowed some more.

We didn’t want to get in the mad rush out the gates and we found a nice place to sit and were able to talk some more and catch up. As we were talking the music for the lighting of Small World started. It was a neat little thing that I had forgotten was happening. We enjoyed the show and then headed over to Indy. The line was 60 minutes and since my parents were watching the girls and were heading out early the next day we decided to head out, but not before stopping at Downtown Disney for a chocolate covered marshmallow.

WITron
12-14-2005, 12:08 AM
Day 8 – Last day at Disneyland

This was our last day at the parks and since my wife’s multi-day pass was shredded I was able to spend some time alone with the girls. When dd1 got up and we had breakfast we drove over and parked at Downtown Disney. As I was walking I realized I had left the camera bag in the car, but decided not to go back since it we had a lot to do in a short amount of time.

We headed right over to California Adventure and grabbed a stroller when we walked in. It was still a few moments before 10 and we got stopped at the ropes. The security guard was funny. Just before the drop he asked “Are there any Trojan fans?” A few hands went up, including mine. Then he said “You can come to the front.” Next he asked “Are there any Texas fans?” A few hands went up and he said “You can go to the back.” Then he proceeded to ask “Are there any Bruins fans?” After a few hands went up he said “You’re out of the park!”

Once the rope was dropped I headed over with my daughter to Ariel’s Groto and the Disney Visa meet and greet. We were the first ones there and lead down the stairs. Goofy was there waiting for us. My daughter was nervous about the big character, so I picked her up and Goofy tried to make her comfortable by playing with her. Shortly Mickey arrived and we got our picture taken with them.

Next we headed over to Disneyland to ride the Autopia before heading back to the hotel for lunch. My daughter again said that she didn’t want to go on it, but I knew that once she got on it she would love it. By the time we got to get in the car she was excited. We missed the golden car by one. I let my daughter steer while I pressed the gas pedal. She was laughing and having a great time driving.

By the time we got off it was time to head back to the hotel. We left the stroller and went to the train station to ride the train back to the Main Street Station. As we were walking up the ramp the announcement came on that a train was just arriving. I watched as it pulled in and it was the Ward Kimball. We rode it to the station and headed back to meet my wife. On the way out we cashed in two of our passes at the ESPN Zone and played some games.

After lunch it was time for both girls to take afternoon naps. My wife and I spent some nice quiet time just watching the Food Network’s Christmas specials. Since my wife didn’t have a pass for the day we decided that I would take the girls to Toontown for about an hour and a half while she went to Downtown Disney. The girls napped for about two hours and then we headed back.

We parked at Downtown Disney again and I was going to hop on the monorail to get back in the park, but the wait was thirty minutes. I get back in the park and make my way to Toontown and Minnie’s house. There was a line to get pictures, so we got in line and waited and waited and waited. 45 minutes, and a sore back, later we finally got up to the front and got our picture with Minnie. By this time it was past the time that I had told my wife I would meet her and of course the parade is going on to make the trek to the exit even worse.

I managed to get past It’s a Small World and into Fantasyland. As we were being lead though the queue for Storybook Land the princess float is going by. Knowing that going out of the castle and down Main Street is an insane idea I make the trek down the Big Thunder Trail and into Frontierland. I decide to duck over to Adventureland and grab a fast pass, but they were all gone. By the time I got out of Adventureland the princess float is just coming by. I duck in through the shops all the while we are walking along the same float. I finally managed to get out of the park and meet up with my wife a half hour late. There was a huge line waiting to get in and I found out later that the park was at capacity.

When we got back to the room we finished up the leftovers that we had in our fridge and we got the girls ready for bed. Once dd2 was in bed and dd1 was going to bed I headed back to the parks for a few final hours to do the thrill rides, which my wife doesn’t like. I got parked and it was about 8:45. I headed over to DCA, thinking it was going to close at 9, I resigned myself to just riding Soarin’ Over California before the park closed. I was happy to find out as I walked through the gate that they were going to close an hour later.

I headed straight for California Screamin’ and got a single rider pass. I was on and off in about 15 minutes and then went to Grizzly River Run. There was no line and I was put on a raft right away. I didn’t get to wet on that go around, but I stayed on and rode again. This time my whole left side got soaked. Once I got off I went over to Soarin’. As I was walking over the fireworks started and I was able to see a few of them through the buildings. When I got over to Soarin’ it was another walk on. I ended up getting in the front row on Alpha. I really enjoy this unique ride. By the time I got off I still had a few minutes before the park close, so I decided to ride Tower of Terror. I really enjoyed this version much better than at Disney World.

By the time I got off Tower of Terror DCA had closed and I headed to Disneyland. I had to wait a few minutes to get back in, but had no problems. My first stop was at the Christmas shop to return the girl’s sweatshirts and exchange them for the t-shirts, which is what we had wanted in the first place. Then I went over to Buzz Lightyear. I went to go get a fast pass, but they had just run out. I got in the standby line, which went really quickly. I managed to get a score of 435,000, not bad for my first time. I need to get the girls’ names embroidered on their mouse ears and head over to the hatmosphere. I was one of the last ones before they closed up shop.

On my way over to Adventureland to ride Indy I got in line for a churro. With a couple of people in front of me they made an announcement that they only had 10 left. Fortunately I was able to get one. I ate it on my way over to Indy and then stopped at the Tiki Juice Bar and they were still opened. I grabbed a Dole whip float to have while I waited in line for Indy.

The line for Indy was about 45 minutes. While I was waiting in the courtyard of the temple there were a couple of teenage girls on the bridge eating ice cream cones. One of the guys waiting behind me made a comment that they were crazy for eating ice cream in “this kid of weather.” I had to chuckle since I was eating a whip float and was just wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Indy is always such a great ride. When I got off I asked someone what time it was and I still had about 15 minutes before Disneyland closed.

I headed over to Pirates, since this was the one ride that we had not been able to go on. I walked right on and was seated in a boat. The only thing was that there was a group of teenagers sitting behind me that were talking through out most of the ride. By the time I got off the park had closed. I went over to the Kodak store and used my coupon form the Disney Visa meet and greet for earlier in the day to purchase a picture of the family in front of the tree. As I walked down Main Street I took one last look around knowing I would not be back for a long time. Before I left I made sure to stop in and put in a compliment for the cms that were so nice during the Candlelight Procession. I got back to the room around 1:15 and crashed.

Mermaid
12-14-2005, 09:31 AM
That was a great report. It sounds like you had a lot of fun! I'm sorry about all the ticket drama though. When i was there in Sept I lost my 50th tour tickets and tore the room apart looking for them. They were in my dad's pcket but it was sooo frustrating when they were lost!

Crazy4DL
12-14-2005, 02:22 PM
WOW!! what a week! Sounds like such fun! :D

Thanks for taking the time to write a report for all of us.

WITron
12-19-2005, 09:29 PM
I have been lagging a bit, but here is the final post about our flight home.

Day 9 – Back to the cold

My wife had packed most of our stuff while I was at the park with dd1. Fortunately we had brought an extra suit case long for the extra stuff we would pick up. We had breakfast and straightened up our room a little before doing one last final check to make sure that we hadn’t forgotten anything. Once we were sure we didn’t leave anything behind we checked out and headed for the airport.

We got to the airport without any hitches and dropped off our car. The fun part was trying to get the luggage to the shuttle. While I was unloading my wife took the girls and she found a cart and we loaded it full. When we got to the airport we decided to use the skycap to help with the load. The only problem we had was that our large suitcase was over the weight limit and there really was nothing we could take out of it, so we paid the $25 fee.

The skycap was a huge help getting us all checked in and getting our luggage checked. Once we were checked in we made the trek through security and to the gate. This time we were a lot more prepared than on the flight out and everything went smoothly. The only thing that I wish they had was an area were if you have a lot of stuff and would need more time you could move over and let the people that have very little go through. When we got to the gate my wife noticed that we didn’t get the boarding pass for dd2.

There was no one at the gate, so I made my way down to the ticket counter because I was concerned that we would not be sitting together since it was a full flight. I was told that they could not do any seating arrangements there, but I would have to do it at the gate. I made my way back through security and waited at the gate. After waiting and waiting no one was showing up. Finally someone came up, but she had worked the earlier flight that had left. She ended up making some calls to find the person that was supposed to be there.

In the mean time I was talking with a gentleman behind me and he was also traveling with his wife and daughter, but the tickets had been reassigned and were not sitting together. After talking for several minutes it turned out that the seat that dd2 was assigned was next to his daughter and his seat was behind my were I needed to be, so we agreed to exchange seats. When someone finally did show up we told him what the problem was and he said that the flight was full and we would have to ask other passengers. We told him that we had worked it out and were just wondering if we had to change the tickets. He told us no, so we just waited for the flight to be called.

The flight was called and they made the announcement that those people that had special needs or were gold members could start boarding. Since we needed to gate check a couple of things and install the car seat for dd2 we went up and showed her our ticket. She very rudely informed us that she had not called our row. We then informed her nicely that we had a car seat that we would need to install and that last time we did not have enough time to install it before everyone else started boarding. She rudely informed us that she would let us know when we could board.

We are finally allowed to board and I get on and hook up the car seat shortly before the plane gets backed up boarding. I had to wait to get seated so that I can switch with someone so that I can have an aisle seat in case my wife needs me to walk with dd2 if she gets fussy. The lady I switched with was very nice about it. We are shortly headed out of the gate and the end of our vacation.

disneyhound
12-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Wow, I am exhausted just reading your report! Sounds like you had fun mixed in with the trials... I am glad that my DD was 9 when we went to DL for the first time!

WITron
12-20-2005, 08:53 PM
This was actualy the 3rd trip for our oldest. Her first time was when she was 6 weeks old. The main thing for us was to just work around our youngest schedule. It helped out that my parents were there and could watch the girls and we could have some adult time. We were also very glad that we stayed at the time share. I think we would have gone stir crazy in a small hotel room. One thing that was funny was that we brought our double stroller, but dd2 only fell asleep in the rentals, which were free with the Disney Visa.