PDA

View Full Version : Bunk beds at Grand Californian-How big?

Dave Z
03-23-2002, 04:05 PM
How big, really, are the bunk beds at GC Hotel?

We are bringing two 17 yr old girls and the CM suggested the bunk beds might be too small.

Anyone been in the rooms with bunk beds? We like the idea of the extra room that NOT having two queens would give us.

TIA,

DZ

Julie
03-23-2002, 09:51 PM
I've stayed in the rooms with the bunk bed - and it really depends on height. The beds really aren't meant for anyone over about 5'4''. Even then, stretching out isn't much of an option, but it depends on the person. The only problem, I would say would be the complete lack of headroom for the person on the bottom bunk!

bluepearl
03-24-2002, 02:23 AM
Yes, we did manage to squeeze in a girl that's 5'10" into the top bunk bed. One thing I think might be a little uncomfortable is that if the person on top is a fussy sleeper (likes to toss and turn all night and such), it might be a bit bothersome for the person on the lower bunk (and vice versa).

Depending on how the two kids feel, you could get the room with two queen-sized beds - that is, if they don't mind sharing a bed. But if they're in a kiddish mood, the bunk bed is fun!

iflykc10s
03-24-2002, 08:27 AM
Dave,

we stayed in a room with the bunk beds. Our children were 14 and 17. They had no problems at all. Also, there is another bed that pulls out of the bottom of the bunk bed. It looks like a drawyer at first but it is another comfortable bed.
Enjoy your stay.

Dave Z
03-25-2002, 02:36 PM
So I'm thinking we will keep the bunks thus allowing for more floor space than 2 big beds. Unless the room is smaller in the bunk bed rooms!

bluepearl
03-25-2002, 08:53 PM
The rooms with the bunk beds are the same size as the rooms with the 2 queen-size beds. My cousins took the room with 2 queen-size beds, my friends and I took the one with the bunk beds, and they were the same size. You definitely get more floor space with the bunk beds. Hope you have lots of fun! It's a fantastic hotel, so take a lot of time to explore and stuff. The slide in the pool will probably be open that day (it was closed when we were there), so take advantage of that! ;)

disneyholic family
03-25-2002, 09:02 PM
i didn't know they offered bunk beds at the grand californian.....
they didn't offer that option to me when i made reservations...
hmm...
anyway...as for size.....if the bunk bed is the same size as at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in WDW, then it's big enough...
we stayed at the AKL last year.....my kids were 16 and 14 at the time, but they're quite tall......my daughter's about 5'``10" and my son was about 6' at the time.....
i asked him if it was too small, but he was happy as a clam up there....
and they were both happy to not have to share a bed (which i wouldn't have made them do anyway.....i would have had my daughter sleep with me and my son with my husband)..
fortunately the single room was only for 5 days.....the rest of the time we were in a 2 bedroom villa.....much more conducive to late night recreational activities when the kids are asleep...:D