PDA

View Full Version : Need expert help planning Disneyland holiday trip

eddie2490
12-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Hi, does anyone w/tons of experience w/holiday DL visiting have any advice on a plan to optimize the most time and get on the most rides? Planning to stay all day .... sadly on Dec 24 or 25, yes, i know, max attendence on those days, but no other choice b/c of work conflicts on weekdays and want to see fireworks and parade, that's it.

I would buy RideMax, but with spending a hefty $200 already on tickets, I'm a little reluctant. Anyone have a good plan RideMax style to take to hit all the good rides? (inc all the mountains!)

THANK YOU!!!

stan4d_steph
12-14-2005, 07:12 AM
If you don't want to invest in RideMax, I would recommend checking out the touring plans in the Unofficial Guide to DL. You could always go to the bookstore and copy down the info. into your own notebook if you really didn't want to spend the money on the book, or see if it's available at your local library.

Going on Dec. 24-25, I would say investing in RideMax is probably a good idea. Otherwise, make sure you know where the bottlenecks will be durings shows and parades. Read the tips for avoiding crowds in the most recent MousePlanet DL Update. Use FastPass to your advantage, and don't expect to get a large number of attractions in.

hlbtimes2
12-14-2005, 07:49 AM
While I know that $200+ is a lot on tickets, why not make the most of them and spent the extra $15 on ride max ? If you were going to just enjoy the park, parades, fireworks ect, I wouldnt recomend it. But, if rides are your goal- spend the money!

If you really cant justify it, here is what I would do: Get a space fastpass first thing. They run out the earliest. Then from that point on watch the "next pass available" time on the bottom of your fast passes- and get a new one every time its available. Keep in mind you can use them after the return time on the ticket.

After you grab your fast pass for Space, hit fantasy land. The lines for dumbo and peterpan get really long later in the day, and never really let up. So, get them out of the way in the morning. When we were there in Oct thunder mtn. never really had much line to speak of, if that is still the case, dont waste a fast pass on it, just stand in the line. Splash seem to have the shortest lines at night- during F! and the fireworks. People dont want to be cold and wet at night this time of year. Use it to your advantage. Use a fast pass for HM. The line gets really long.

Try to avoid the follow the crowd mentality. Its human nature, but try to resist the urge. If everyone goes in and turns right, then go left! Have one person in your group get fast passes for everyone else. Send the fastest walker. They can often get the passes and catch up with the rest of the group. People also dont usually mind letting one person through the line to catch up with the rest of the party, but more then one person and you risk making people really mad! If you want to watch fireworks, F! or a parade, bring a blanket or something to sit on. Have one or two people stay with it, while the rest go on rides or buy snacks. DONT leave the blanket alone, it will get moved by people that are willing to actually stay and hold a spot.

Dine at off hours. Have breakfast at 10:30, lunch at 3 and dinner at 7 (or something like that) The lines will be shorter. If you eat at prime times you will spend way to much time waiting in line!

eddie2490
12-14-2005, 03:52 PM
I'll check the library out this weekend and see what they've got. thank you both very much :) we'll see how it goes; hopefully it won't be that big of a nightmare like I'm reading on these other boards.

hlbtimes2
12-14-2005, 05:33 PM
I just sent you an email with some other hints and tips.

chrisaustx
12-15-2005, 10:21 PM
I live 5 miles down Katella from Disneyland and I am a vendor at the park as well, working for WDI. I have been to the park three times this week, and it has been nuts. The advice I give as an expert is: expect crowds, expect disneyland to close mid day and not to allow more people in. Expect the place to be mobbed, many locals have bought a/p's and are flooding the place for the holidays. So all you can plan for is crowds, some frustration and not being able to see everything you want at Disneyland. The crowds seem to get worse in the mid day and evening. So you may want to try to get in first thing in the morning and see all you can before the place gets packed. I got stuck in a mob tonight leaving the park, it will just get worse the closer Christmas gets.