PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone noticed the hole in the ceiling of Pirates?

Pages : [1] 2

kered22
12-13-2005, 11:47 AM
One of my friends got the tickets to the After Dark in the Park at Disneyland Thursday night and we hopped on Pirates a few of times (wanted to ride it a few times since it'll be changing). Just after the second drop, when you're going through the caves (before the pirate ship scene), when you turn left, there is a pretty big hole in the ceiling. Can see some wiring I think. pipes etc, all the way to the actual show buildings ceiling. Does anyone know how long that's been there? I was wondering if was some recent exploratory work done by the Imagineers for the new effects (I think that's the general area where the mist curtain with Davy Jones face is supposed to be). No one else noticed it until I pointed it out, but still it does take a bit of the show away.

Great to ride the old classic one last time though, haven't been by the park in nearly 10 years. :)

Leap for Joy
12-13-2005, 11:55 AM
I don't remember when I first noticed it... It's been there since the summer at least, and each time I've seen it it has grown larger.

10 years??? How did you survive the withdrawals?!!!

Andrew
12-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Interesting... I will have to remember to look for that this weekend.

AB29
12-13-2005, 01:09 PM
There is a leak somewhere in the Blue Bayou that is running down into the Pirates' flume in that area.

kered22
12-13-2005, 01:33 PM
10 years??? How did you survive the withdrawals?!!!

Honestly I didn't have the desire to go back after seeing how things had gotten in there. The last time I had gone was when I graduated from middle school (same group of friends too which was really cool :) ) and seeing how bad things had gotten just made it pretty undesireable.

I'm very glad I went back though, everyone else had to make the prerequisite bathroom break by City Hall before going in and I just stood outside with a huge grin on my face looking around. :) It's just beautiful what has been done and I do intend to go back more often now, though I think I'll wait until after the holidays at least. LOL Getting in was pretty hard with everyone else going out. LOL

Doug
12-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Hmm.. I have seen some vent holes in the ceiling, not sure what you are talking about... could you give some more detail of the location? How about a video or pic ;)?

Opus1guy
12-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Yeah. Years ago after a fire in Pirates, they installed several ceiling vents and smoke escape hatches. You can spot these if you look closely.

Or is what you're looking at look more like a hole was punched through the ceiling in a more ragged way?

Doug
12-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Fire? When was this? What happend?

Yeah. Years ago after a fire in Pirates, they installed several ceiling vents and smoke escape hatches. You can spot these if you look closely.

Or is what you're looking at look more like a hole was punched through the ceiling in a more ragged way?

kered22
12-13-2005, 03:43 PM

More ragged, looked much more ragged. This was a straight out hole, no vent over it or anything. I could see all the utilities (some pipes or something on the left side specifically) up there and the real ceiling of the show building.

Opus1guy
12-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Fire? When was this? What happend?

I don't recall what years or what caused them, but I recall two.

One was the rather famous one where (according to legend) the fire department had a tad bit of confusion due to the fire effects in the burning city scene. But not legend and in fact still there is the burnt lamppost that is no longer charred by set designers, but is charred for real from that fire (they left it there as-is).

Then several years later there was another one that shut Pirates down for some time and I believe it was this second one where the city requested Disney install the smoke escape hatches.

I also seem to recall that it was around this same time that Imagineer Eddie Soto installed the ship masts on the Pirate show building roofs, finally completing the late Imagineer Herb Ryman's original concept for giving the illusion (when viewed from afar) that there was a body of water behind the streets of New Orleans Square.

I could be off on the exact series of events here (old fart memory and all). But generally that's what I recall.

More ragged, looked much more ragged. This was a straight out hole, no vent over it or anything. I could see all the utilities (some pipes or something on the left side specifically) up there and the real ceiling of the show building.

Could be then that someone is doing some repairs in the space (pipes, electrical, HVAC, whatever) and just punched through to get to the goods. Most likely will be patched over upon completion if that's the case.

kered22
12-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Just found this site with a handdrawn map.

http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/potc.htm

It's in the first left turn of the ride where there's that little hairpin. As the boat starts to go left, look up and the holes in that area.

TDBearGrrl
12-13-2005, 04:22 PM
There is a leak somewhere in the Blue Bayou that is running down into the Pirates' flume in that area.

Interesting... I noticed a drip Sunday when we were there. I don't remember exactly where though...

Leap for Joy
12-13-2005, 04:33 PM
What I've noticed looks like an unplanned tear in the fabric(?) of the ceiling. There was stuff hanging and a large hole that is obviously not part of the show.

TowerofTerror
12-13-2005, 08:57 PM
I haven't noticed it at all.

Durliin
12-13-2005, 09:26 PM
the hole in the celing is new and its not for the rhab part of the celing fell off it wont be fixed until the rehab from what I have been told

SoCalDude
12-13-2005, 11:46 PM
The other day there was a few large holes when you were still in the dining area at the very start of the ride.

Noah
12-13-2005, 11:52 PM
What is After Dark in the Park?

Tinker Bell
12-14-2005, 09:00 AM
That Large hole as been there since July 17. Most people dont look up. I at least don't but for some reason did that day and wont look up again. It was a very BIG hole like part of the roof just fell out. Sad

kered22
12-14-2005, 02:57 PM
What is After Dark in the Park?

Where a company reserves the park for the night, it was a travel company in last Thursday nights case. We could arrive as soon as 4 PM but could only stay if we had on these green wristbands after the park closed at 8. We were able to stay until 1, but my friend was saying some of his co-workers were able to stay a bit longer and were able to ride Space Mountain 7 times straight after 1. The last ride we rode was Pirates (got on about 12:55 and the CM gretting everyone was jokingly reluctant to let us in LOL), we were going to ask if we could stay on for one more spin but the rain started to come down a bit harder at that point. Didn't know how much harder it was going to come down, so we decided to head home.

That Large hole as been there since July 17. Most people dont look up. I at least don't but for some reason did that day and wont look up again. It was a very BIG hole like part of the roof just fell out. Sad

Ahh okay, I can understand with the ride being changed so much that they won't fix it. It does take away a bit from the ride if you notice it, those small things I can understand (there is a patch of stucco or some filler in the elevator waiting area of the Haunted Mansion too). Just as long as there is no rotting wood, severly peeling paint etc as before, I didn't see any of that.

Mark Mywords
12-14-2005, 03:31 PM
During our last trip (Dec 1-4) I noticed dripping water in the pirates arcade area and a hole (probably 2 1/2 feet in diameter) in the fake rock towards the ceiling right before the treasure room. It was very ragged, with the remains of the fake rock hanging limp, like wet fabric...

mi_mous
12-14-2005, 10:16 PM
I went on the ride tonight, in search of the "hole". I found it. It is ugly, and is showing utilities, wires, etc. To me, it didn't look like something unplanned, or perhaps they have cleaned it up a bit, or I am remembering wrong.. I hate it when that happens!

I noticed a couple more changes in the ride as well, actually a lot more changes than I normally do. So, here goes:

-the hole in the ceiling

- not sure if this is a new discovery for me, or if it is new, but when you come into the battle scene, there is a boat that is sinking.. I have heard people make mention to this, but I thought it was the pirate ship that was supposed to be sinking. This boat that I am talking about is on the left hand side, right as you come in, and looks similar to what Jack Sparrows boat looked like when he docked it at the beginning of the movie.

- The pirate that is sitting on top of the treasure now has a Jack Sparrow hat on it, and the rags he wears are now brown.. wasn't it just a pirate handkerchief like hat before? Tied close to the head, and red?? (Again, maybe it's just me, but it looks like a new affect, enough for me to notice it.)

- The pirate that sits on top of the bridge before you go into the jail scene is no longer there, but the audio is still playing. It is wierd to hear the bird talking, and there is no bird.

- As you are coming "up the waterfall" at the end of the ride, there are pirates trying to take out treasure, and you then see that they are skeletons. There is one skeleton that I have not noticed before and perhaps is new?? He is the last skeleton, and he is wearing a captains pirate hat. He is not in the light, so is harder to see, or perhaps they are not illuminating him yet? Again, don't know if this is something that I just have not seen before.

If anyone can tell me if those things are new, or if they have always been that way, let me know! I don't consider myself an expert on the ride.

kered22
12-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Yay! Another witness. LOL

Not sure on the those changes myself, been 10 years since I've been on there, the only ones I knew of were the PC changes to the pirates chasing the woman, woman chasing the pirates and the new explosions in the water. Got through dry once, second time though, I got some water in there and at the end in the explosives room. LOL

leotatoombs
12-15-2005, 12:20 AM
I think they just have bad leaks all the time! I always notice discoloration in the ceiling etc. I have been noticing holes for years on and off. They always seem to be near the start of the ride by blue bayou or in the battle scene on the ceiling around where they pull boats. also have been underground in that area. There are a ton of pipes running along the walls(wet with condensation) and leaky or drippy. This is nothing new.:geek:

Phantom2006
12-15-2005, 12:27 AM
I noticed a couple more changes in the ride as well, actually a lot more changes than I normally do. The only one that i knew about was the skeleton at the end, from what i remember it has been there. But the rest is new to me and next time i go on i will be sure to look for them.:)

Osky
12-15-2005, 12:06 PM
I saw the hole as well. This past Sunday-Tuesday, I noticed in the last treasure room on the right where the pirate skeletons are drinking, there is quite a bit of water running down the ceiling and dripping at the very end of that scene. Very noticeable. It was quite a bit of water, not a slow drip.