PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Hotel 1 bedroom suite or Grand Californian?

Pages : [1] 2

Stitch1404
12-13-2005, 10:33 AM
I am headed to Disneyland the last week of July (crowded, I know)! I have been to Disney World 35 times but never Disneyland. I currently have a standard room booked at the Grand Californian, but now I am starting to worry. We have three "kids" ages 15, 16, and 17. When I booked the room I was told they would put me in a bunk room which would have a bunk bed and trundle for the girls. However, upon investigating more it sounds like they are not going to fit in the bunks (my smallest daughter is 5'-4''). No one wants to sleep on the floor so we thought maybe there are rooms with 2 queen beds and a daybed, not sure though.

So my other option is to book a one-bedroom suite at the Disneyland Hotel, the prices for the suites at GC are just too high. Is there a kitchen in these suites? Do suites automatically include conceirge services? Does anyone have pictures? Is it worth it to sacrifice the convenient location of GC just to have more room? I am just a little overwhelmed, I know nothing about Disneyland!

hlbtimes2
12-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Is there a kitchen in these suites? NO. Its been over 10 years since I stayed in a suite, so my memory is foggy- but I think we just had a small fridge and sink.

Do suites automatically include conceirge services? NO You have to book specifically for that, and it is extra (about $125-150 per night)

Does anyone have pictures? You might try expdia or trip advisor

Is it worth it to sacrifice the convenient location of GC just to have more room? Its a personal choice. With girls that age, I would think the extra room would be nice. The walk to the DLH is not that far, especially when your not dragging small children.

12-13-2005, 11:14 AM
As much as I love the Grand Californian Hotel, a standard room will be too small for the five of you.

lbrackjo
12-13-2005, 11:30 AM
One thing you may want to consider is getting two connecting rooms at Grand Cal instead of the suite. It may be close in price to the suite at DLH. While they don't guarantee connecting rooms, the same family unit is the first priority for assigning connecting rooms, so you'd most likely get it. There are describtions of the DLH suites on Mousesavers.com in the trip reports found there.

BGLeduc
12-13-2005, 11:50 AM
As much as I love the Grand Californian Hotel, a standard room will be too small for the five of you.

Agreed!

We stay at the GCH hotel every year the week after Thanksgiving, and book a bunk room w/trundle. With 4 of us (my wife and I, our 7 year old daughter, and another 7 year old) its crowded. I can't imagine 5 people in the same room, given the ages of your kids.

Brian

Stitch1404
12-13-2005, 01:47 PM
I don't want to sound "snobby," but at Disney World we have only stayed at Deluxe resorts and we love them! I am afraid going to the Disneyland Hotel will feel like a downgrade. Is it just as nice as the Grand Californian? A friend of mine recently took her family to DH and she told me it seemed run down and outdated...

Drince88
12-13-2005, 01:54 PM
I don't want to sound "snobby," but at Disney World we have only stayed at Deluxe resorts and we love them! I am afraid going to the Disneyland Hotel will feel like a downgrade. Is it just as nice as the Grand Californian? A friend of mine recently took her family to DH and she told me it seemed run down and outdated...
Compare the square footage - I wouldn't be surprised if the GC was the same as Pop Century (though my memory of GC is fairly old, I'm pretty sure it was smaller than POFQ we just stayed at).

And there's nothing to stop you from enjoying everything but the pool at the GC if you stay at the Disneyland Hotel!

Drince88
12-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Oops, I should have checked.
Per All Ears, Animal Kingdom Lodge is 344 sq ft, and according to this (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlm/content?id=StandardGCHGuestRoomsAndSuitesHMFPage)p age, the Grand Californian is 353 - but you can see from the layout that it's not THAT spacious (and they're not showing the bunk bed room, either)

hlbtimes2
12-13-2005, 02:06 PM

Well, of course its not "just as nice". Its not nearly as new and it wasnt built by Disney. But, that doesnt mean its not a nice property. It has its own, classic charm to it. I wouldnt called it run down and outdated. Its not like its the difference between staying at the Ritz or motel 6!

Its an older hotel, with some very nice touches. The pool area is great. The little disney touches in the rooms are charming. The location is good. They have a couple good places to eat on site.

12-13-2005, 02:14 PM
It has its own, classic charm to it. I wouldnt called it run down and outdated. Its not like its the difference between staying at the Ritz or motel 6!

Well said, hlbtimes2! The Disneyland Hotel isn't exactly slumming.

Bolivar
12-13-2005, 02:26 PM
I just came back from staying at the DLH and I liked it much better than the Grand Californian. Yes the GC has that grand lobby with the fireplace and I love the craftsmen styling with the deep wood, but it really isn't all that Disney. The hotel could be any nice hotel in the country, the pool could be any pool. The DLH has the Neverland pool with the pirate ship and Ariel next to the hot tub. There is the waterfall that you can go behind.

Yes the GC has an entrance to DCA, but it is only a short walk to the monorail from DLH. It has been a few years since I stayed at the GC, but I think the rooms were smaller also. I had also read a lot of reviews about the hotel talking about the run down, out of date rooms. I didn't find that to be the case, but having read those reviews, I was going with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised with what it was. Perhaps had my expectations been higher, I would have been disappointed -- I don't know.

Minnie66
12-13-2005, 02:45 PM
While I haven't stayed at the Grand for the same reasons you are questioning (we are a family of 5 and need more room), I share your love for nice hotels. We have never been disappointed at the DLH. Remember that some of what you are paying for is "Disney" and you will be fine. While it may be "aged", it is still a nice hotel and I am as comforatable there as I am at other 5 star hotels. We did stay in a suite once in the Bonita tower that had a "wet bar" type set up, with a fridge and I thought a microwave so you might want to ask. It was on the top floor and had a wonderful view! Have a great trip.

Stitch1404
12-13-2005, 06:06 PM
I have come to the conclusion that I definitely won't be staying in the one room at the Grand Californian. I am either going to book another room there or book the suite at the Disneyland Hotel. Despite my earlier worries that it might not be as nice as the Grand Californian I feel like I might be missing some of the Disney element that would be present at the Disneyland hotel. I read somewhere that the wallpaper border at DLH has "pixie dust" on it that glows in the dark at night and the pool sounds like pure Disney! I am actually leaning toward DLH now, it is cheaper, and it sounds more magical. Also, if we book it rather than 2 rooms at GCH we might even be able to afford to upgrade to concierge, I will have to look into that. However, in the suite we will only have one bathroom which is a real bummer with three teenage girls!

Drince88
12-13-2005, 08:35 PM
3 teenage girls - there's no way you could get out of a one-bathroom situation before noon each day! Go for the option that gives you two bathrooms!!!

And as far as the "Disney Magic" - I think you're probably right -- If you've ever been to the Wilderness Lodge or the Animal Kingdom Lodge - they both remind me a lot of the Grand Californian - and neither of those two are really 'screaming' Disney Magic.

Stitch1404
12-14-2005, 10:25 AM
I have been to both the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but just to look around, eat a meal, or shop. My next WDW trip (19 days!) will be a split stay with a portion at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. So maybe I can use that to see how big the rooms are (since I believe they are a similar size to GCH) and how "magical" it seems. I have now added the possibility of a two bedroom suite at the Disneyland Hotel. We might be bringing my father-in-law and niece now in addition to our family. That adds two people, one of them being another teenage girl, so a 2 bedroom suite would be required for that group! But I am now thinking about a 2 bedroom suite just for the 5 of us even if the others don't join us. It is cheaper than 2 rooms at the GCH, we would get two bathrooms, and three rooms (2 bedrooms, and living room). I know this could be a first and only trip to Disneyland for us since it is so far away, so I really just want it to be wonderful and I am a very indecisive person!

10-97
12-14-2005, 01:07 PM
In July of both 2004 and 2005, we stayed in two-bedroom suites at the DLH, and had a great time. Some of the DLH suites have an extra 1/2 bath next to the living room. This can be a huge convenience if you have a family that includes teenaged boys and girls.

I recommend checking in early, to have the best chance of getting your first choice of view, or the extra 1/2 bath.

Koala Gurl
12-15-2005, 06:38 AM
I just stayed at the DLH and got a one-bedroom suite. I loved it! I thought it was pretty darn big for a hotel room. AND, I do have pictures...just got to upload them.

We were in the Bonita Tower overlooking the pool, right above the dancing waters or whatever that fountain thing is. We were on the 9th floor and had a view of the fireworks (ok, somewhat limited and w/ no music) but it was still nice to enjoy a bottle of wine and room service with DH while my DD (9 months) slept peacefully in the small bathroom (yeah, we put her pack & play in the bathroom!)

Oh, that gets me to my point...our suite had 2 bathrooms. One small one (just a toilet & sink...but a mirror for the girls) and a large one w/ shower & toilet in one room and double sinks outside.

Be back w/ pics!

ETA: I guess I took more video than still pics, but I did get a few. I forgot to mention we were at the end of the hotel bldg, so we had windows on 2 sides, one w/a bigger balcony (the ones facing in wards are tiny). But we also had the sliding doors in the bedroom so we could listen to the waterfalls all night. :)

Koala Gurl
12-15-2005, 08:41 AM
pics:

bathroom:
Click me. (http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cc34b3127cce95b931132dd000000016109BaMnLdu0Q)
living area (bedroom off to right)

Me, too. (http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cc34b3127cce95b931152dd600000036109BaMnLdu0Q)
living area towards front door ("bar" area back, right)

And me three. (http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cc34b3127cce95b93116ace500000016109BaMnLdu0Q)

Moderator's note: Inline images converted to links because of number and size. Please limit inline images to one per thread. Inline images must not exceed 400 x 400 pixels. For MousePad policy, please go here. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=10101) Thanks - 3894

SanDiegoDayTripper
12-15-2005, 09:37 AM
We recently stayed in the GC for just one night with my husband and three kids aged 6, 5, and 2. We had a bunkbed/trundle room, and my husband and I both decided that for more than one night, we'd want a lot more room. As I said, my kids are young, and my 6-yearold daughter slept fine on the trundle, but I can't imagine a teen on those beds. I don't think they're extra short, just seemed very narrow.

(We're planning a trip to WDW next year, and based on our GC visit, we're rebooking from the AKL to a Ft. Wilderness cabin!! We want the separate bedroom, etc.!!)

Now don't get me wrong, I love the GC for the atmosphere and location. My husband was the one who really wanted to stay there, and it made a nap back at the hotel mid-day really easy.

But based on our experience with 5 people in a GC room, and my kids are still babies, I really think for an extended visit with teenagers, as others have said, you'll be better off in a suite. I love the idea on having two bathrooms too!!

P.S. Koala Gurl -- I had to laugh about the Pack N Play in the bathroom! We do that too! I thought we were the only ones!

Koala Gurl
12-15-2005, 09:49 AM
P.S. Koala Gurl -- I had to laugh about the Pack N Play in the bathroom! We do that too! I thought we were the only ones!

He he! I guess when DD goes to sleep by 7 at the latest, I couldn't imagine sitting around being quiet from then on. By putting her in the bathroom, she slept as well as she does at home. Even thru the noise of getting room service and the fireworks. Best $$ DH and I spent for our trip to DLR. We got to relax and enjoy! :)

Stitch1404
12-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Koala Gurl, thank you soooo much. I was really apprehensive about booking the room without seeing pictures and I couldn't find them online anywhere. But it looked absolutely beautiful, I'm more or less sold! I just want to clarify two things:

1.) Can the bedroom portion of the suite have 2 queen beds? Or does it just have 1 king bed?

2.) Is the half bath not included in every suite? Should I just request it? It would be amazing to have two bathrooms with 3 teenage girls, really the only reason I was leaning toward 2 rooms at the GCH was to have 2 bathrooms! It would be okay to have only one shower since some of us could shower at night and some in the morning, but the extra sink would really just help immensely. You'd be surprised at how long a teenage girl can stand in front of a sink putting on makeup and jewelry...

Stitch1404
12-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Oh, one more somewhat silly question: is the glow-in-the-dark/pixie dust wallpaper border in the bedroom portion of the suite. The thought of that just sounds so pretty, and magical!

Koala Gurl
12-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Stitch - not sure about your questions! I think I have read that some didn't have a 2nd bathroom (we didn't know to ask, just lucked out!) I guess you can call & ask those questions. I *think* that you can get queens instead of a king...

About the pixie dust...I didn't notice it. I saw the wallpaper border that had tinkerbell on it, but I think we fell asleep (or passed out) w/ the TV on! :)

Minnie66
12-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Koala Gurl, thank you soooo much. I was really apprehensive about booking the room without seeing pictures and I couldn't find them online anywhere. But it looked absolutely beautiful, I'm more or less sold! I just want to clarify two things:

1.) Can the bedroom portion of the suite have 2 queen beds? Or does it just have 1 king bed?

2.) Is the half bath not included in every suite? Should I just request it? It would be amazing to have two bathrooms with 3 teenage girls, really the only reason I was leaning toward 2 rooms at the GCH was to have 2 bathrooms! It would be okay to have only one shower since some of us could shower at night and some in the morning, but the extra sink would really just help immensely. You'd be surprised at how long a teenage girl can stand in front of a sink putting on makeup and jewelry...

If I can add my two cents for you......we have stayed 4 times in suites, once in a 1-room, once in a 2-room, and twice in a three room and they all had the added 1/2 bath. And we have also had 2 queens. I would suggest that when you book your suite you are very specific and ask for sure. Suites are not booked like the other rooms as they usually put you right into a certain "room type" so it is more successful if you start in the type of room you want right off the bat. That doesn't mean that they can't change you at check-in or for some other reason, you are just a lot better off if you are where you want to be from the start. The reservation line can't tell you this but the hotel front desk or vacation planning can help you.

Stitch1404
12-16-2005, 08:03 PM
We have more or less decided on the Disneyland Hotel 1 bedroom suite, but I just want to be prepared when I call. We are DVC members, so we can't call DVC to book until Monday (they're closed Sat. and Sun.). But I am definitely going to request two queen beds and a room with the extra half bath. Is there anything specific I should request in terms of which building or view, or would that just jeopardize my chances of getting my other requests? Thanks for all the advice everyone has been giving!