PDA

View Full Version : what should I ride first?

Pages : [1] 2

ruthjohn
03-23-2002, 01:21 PM
I am going in June with my family and my sisters family. I was wondering..
a. what ride should I head for first, we plan on being there when the gates open at 8 am
b. what should I fast pass first?
thanks! ruth

TecTalker2K
03-23-2002, 01:41 PM
Screw the rides, take in the ambiance., get some grapes, wander Main St. First thing to do though, get a locker inside the park. If you must ride... Indiana Jones.

MammaSilva
03-23-2002, 02:05 PM
Is this your very first visit to Disneyland ever? If so I have to second TecTalker2Ks suggestion! I've taken a lot of people to Disneyland for their "first visit" and strolling down main street, taking the time to stop and look at the emporium windows, reading the names on the second story windows, deep breathing the scent that IS main street.....Indy is a great great ride and when I took my nephews/niece for the very first time I thought they would be more interested in the thrill rides so that is where I took them, we did Indy, then we did HM then Splash then PoC then thunder... but it wasn't until we walked across the drawbridge into Fantasyland that they looked at me and said NOW we feel like we are in Disneyland :)

Gemini Cricket
03-23-2002, 02:24 PM
Do not stress yourself out the first time you go to Disneyland. Take the train, go around the park and walk around a bit. After you've seen what each land is about, head off to Indy. (Indy: I wouldn't Fast Pass this one for the first time. There's lots to see in line. However, do get Indy out of the way because that line will not get shorter.) The rest... take in stride. That's the best way to do it. Relax.

Dave Z
03-23-2002, 03:57 PM
Please don't try to do it in one day!

Morrigoon
03-23-2002, 04:16 PM
I'll second that. Take at least 2, preferably 3 days to do DL your first time around. Go slow, don't worry about hitting everything, and just do one land at a time. I'd say FP Space Mtn first, or if you're heading in the direction of Indy then FP something on that side of the park like Mansion (yeah, that's a good one to FP)

ruthjohn
03-23-2002, 04:29 PM
actually this is not my first time, I have been there lots of times, but it is the kids first time. I just have not been there with the fast pass and not sure of how big the crowd will be at the park.

Nigel2
03-23-2002, 09:24 PM
Well since they are kids I am not sure if they would want to just "sit/stroll arround" in the morning, I would say either indy, Space, or Matterhorn.

Ace
03-23-2002, 09:59 PM
Indiana Jones! go there first if the kiddies are tall enough... it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

zapppop
03-23-2002, 10:04 PM
if you're at the gates at 8AM

RIDE THE MATTERHORN !!!

Lately, the wait has been over an hour and FastPass has not been installed yet.
After that, get a fastpass for either Indiana Jones or Space Mountain.

Matterhorn Fan
03-23-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
if you're at the gates at 8AM

RIDE THE MATTERHORN !!!

Lately, the wait has been over an hour and FastPass has not been installed yet.
After that, get a fastpass for either Indiana Jones or Space Mountain. Woohoo! Good call (and not just because it's one of my favorites). The lines do, however, look a little worse than they actually are due to the way they have the queue now. You gotta ride it. However, even I don't wait more than 20 minutes for it. It's good, but it's not "stand two hours in the sun" good.

ruthjohn
03-24-2002, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I will go to Mattherhorn first, it is my favorite ride, I am suprised they don't have fastpass for it. Then I will get an indy fast pass. Are the lines at the mattherhorn still along side the mountain? Could I possibly send my husband running to get the indy fast pass and him still make it back in line for the mattherhorn with us? just a thought

MammaSilva
03-24-2002, 09:12 PM
ruthjohn, if you hubby can hustle that would be my recommendation. Just give him everyones tickets as soon as you get thru the gate and let him JET to Indy and meet you at Materhorn....if he doesn't get there before you get to the loading zone, ride it then get off and get back in line and go again, the lines won't be long at that time of the morning but in an hour or two they will get there.

disneyhead
03-24-2002, 09:18 PM
The tram from the parking structure.

Matterhorn Fan
03-24-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by ruthjohn
Thanks for the advice everyone! I will go to Mattherhorn first, it is my favorite ride, I am suprised they don't have fastpass for it. Then I will get an indy fast pass. Are the lines at the mattherhorn still along side the mountain? Could I possibly send my husband running to get the indy fast pass and him still make it back in line for the mattherhorn with us? just a thought You ROCK (even though you did spell "Matterhorn" wrong :rolleyes: ).

The lines do not go around the mountain anymore--they're piled up in the front now (yuck--I wish they'd put the queues back where they belong), and you don't choose which side to go on until you get to the turnstiles.

I don't think the Matterhorn really needs FastPass; the lines are long because everything else is in rehab.

AliKzam
03-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Just a suggestion: while you're around the Indy vicinity, get fastpass for Splash Mountain-- if it's open by then. Your going in the heart of summer, so the line will be unbelieveable-- if it's open by then. For me, it's not a complete day if I don't try to do Splash Mtn-- you get the idea.

ruthjohn
03-25-2002, 06:42 AM
I know my family will enjoy Splash but I am terrified of heights! I loved the inside of splash but when it came to the end, I almost died of fright! I love the matterhorn but the going up in the beginning scares me too, I just don't look backwards! Is the Screamin' coaster really high?

Nigel2
03-25-2002, 09:11 PM
Most of it is not, just the two inclines, the start and then part way through. But since it is a launch coaster they don't have that chain lift suspense. Also it does loop if that is an issue. But if you are affraid of all heights avoid Maliboomber, Sunwheel (Red cars don't glide but they also go the highest, I guess that is it for the big ones.:)

Uncle Dick
03-25-2002, 09:28 PM
I know my family will enjoy Splash but I am terrified of heights! I loved the inside of splash but when it came to the end, I almost died of fright! I love the matterhorn but the going up in the beginning scares me too, I just don't look backwards! Is the Screamin' coaster really high?
Screamin' gets pretty high but you feel very secure with the over the shoulder restraints and what not. Just don't sit in the front seat and you'll be fine. :)

jslivinski
04-12-2002, 09:48 AM
actually this is not my first time, I have been there lots of times, but it is the kids first time. I just have not been there with the fast pass and not sure of how big the crowd will be at the park. How old are the kids?

RideMax Mark
04-12-2002, 09:54 AM
I agree with the "hustle to Matterhorn" advice. Especially if Splash is still closed during your visit -- it seems to have pushed the crowds over to Matterhorn and Space earlier in the day than before.

Pirate
04-13-2002, 06:03 PM
Your getting there at rope drop, that's the best thing. What ever attracts you select, I say hit 'em hard & power around for about an hour and a half, you'll get a few good rides before the bigger crowds.
Then go to the relaxed/enjoy pace everyone mentions, for sure. Easier to "cruise" when you've already hit a couplle of your favs.

MouseWife
04-13-2002, 08:24 PM
Oh, I hate the feeling that I get when I am standing around, when no one can decide what to do.

I look around and feel as if I am missing soooo much. Yes, once
after I have gone on my favorite rides, I totally relax. But, if there is a ride I haven't ridden and want to, I can't shake that feeling
and it bugs.

Uncle Dick
04-14-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by MouseWife
Oh, I hate the feeling that I get when I am standing around, when no one can decide what to do.
Then you'd better not show up to Mousepad meets.... :eek: ;)

MouseWife
04-14-2002, 09:36 AM
Sadly, I have no AP. :crying:

And, I've exhausted my 'mad money' on my girls weekend out and all of the stuff that went with it {including greasing the palms of the guys who came with us {hubby and sons, who'd ya think?} to not complain that the main excitement for them was to hang out at the hotel. ;)

But, I would gladly wait around until everyone got their minds made up! I have gotten older {Oh, no offense to any Breakfast Club people!} and can appreciate taking my time and smelling the roses, or churros. Mmmm. I love churros. Just don't ask for chorros. ;)