PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney Quotes that Pertain to Today

LIMANDL4EVA
03-23-2002, 12:31 PM
I RECENTLY BOUGHT A BOOK CALLED ' THE QUOTABLE WALT DISNEY ' A great GREAT book might I add for anybody interested in Disney, or just looking for some AMAZING quotes by Walt himself.

I was reading through it and I came across a few quotes that struck me of how they pertain to the Disney Co. and how it is being run today.

"I've never believed in doing sequels. I didn't want to waste the time doing a sequel; I'd rather be using that time doing something new and different." -Walt Disney
I found this interesting because what is the Disney Co. doing right now? Whipping out a sequel to classics every moths, (I.E.Hunchback II, Cinderella II, Peter Pan II)

"A word may be said in regard to the concept and conduct of Disneyland's operational tone. Although various sections will have the fun and flavor of a carnival or amusement park. There will be none of the pitches, game wheels, sharp practices, and devices designed to milk the visitor's pocket book."
This opinion is in reagard to DCA, specifically the games of the boardwalk in PP. Sure they are what makes a carnival a carnival, and they are fun, but Walt Wouldn't have wanted it (according to this quote I am assuming he wouldn't), afterall the company bares HIS name doesnt it?

"I don't want the public to see the world they live in while they are here."
This is a big issue with every Disney fan in reagards to DCA, you can see hotels, streets, and the outside world in general, in PP you don't feel like you are in some place special because you can see telephone poles from across the street.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
It seems like that idea has since changed, I would find it hard to believe that a decent souvenir could be found for under $10 anymore. I could be wrong though.

"You hate to repeat yourself. I don't like to make sequels to my pictures. I like to take a new thing and develop someting, a new concept."
I am going to go out on a limb here and put this quote towards the repetition of attractions in parks. Some attractions should be in all the parks such as Pirates of the Caribbean, a classic, thats an exception. But in DCA, there are just a bunch of duplicate rides from other Disney parks brought in to fill some empty space, other than Soarin, there arent many new concepts in the park.

Finally, this quote attains to Eisner.
"You don't build it for yourslef. You know what the people want and you build it for them."
As I recall I remember Al Lutz talking about how Eisner played a HUGE role in the design of DCA and the Grand Californian. Ok the hotel turned out beautiful. But in DCA, the farm is tehre because EISNER always wanted something like that. He basically said yes or no and it was whatever he wanted for the park, assumingly so that none of the visitors were out into consideration by him.

Ok, now on with my DISCLAIMER. These were quotes by WALT DISNEY HIMSELF. NO he wasnt specifically speakning of DCA or anything because obviously he isnt around anymore. But he said this stuff and Disney Co. went ahead and built/did it. I personally think that is wrong. BUT THIS IS ONLY, YES ONLY my opinion. I am not saying DCA is a bad park, quite on the contrary, but there are some aspects of it and the way the Co. is run today that I dont THINK Walt would accept if he were still around.

P.S.
I Belive you can purchase the book (See name above) at the Disney Gallery.

LIMANDL4EVA
03-23-2002, 05:22 PM
Just one more thought...
There are many more quotes in the book. I would say around 500 of them are great. But thats just an estimate.

HTHBellcaptain
03-23-2002, 08:05 PM
"Everybody thinks that [Disneyland] is a gold mine -- but we have had our problems. You've got to work it and know how to handle it. Even trying to keep that park clean is a tremendous expense. And those sharp-pencil guys tel you, 'Walt, if we cut down on maintenance, we'd save a lot of money.' But I don't believe in that -- it's like any other show on the road; it must be kept clean and fresh." Walt Disney.

LIMANDL4EVA
03-23-2002, 09:21 PM
Well Said.

HBTiggerFan
03-23-2002, 10:57 PM
I believe there was a post/thread/article (I forget) abotu a month ago about why all the sequals are happening now, and that is becuase the rights to these classic characters were going to be up for grabs, and other companies could make sequals, so rather than that happening, the Disney Co. decided to make sequals, their way, and extend the rights. Maybe someone can find this article/post/thread.

Originally posted by LIMANDL4EVA
"I've never believed in doing sequels. I didn't want to waste the time doing a sequel; I'd rather be using that time doing something new and different." -Walt Disney
I found this interesting because what is the Disney Co. doing right now? Whipping out a sequel to classics every moths, (I.E.Hunchback II, Cinderella II, Peter Pan II)

"You hate to repeat yourself. I don't like to make sequels to my pictures. I like to take a new thing and develop someting, a new concept."
I am going to go out on a limb here and put this quote towards the repetition of attractions in parks. Some attractions should be in all the parks such as Pirates of the Caribbean, a classic, thats an exception. But in DCA, there are just a bunch of duplicate rides from other Disney parks brought in to fill some empty space, other than Soarin, there arent many new concepts in the park.

Dawnie
03-24-2002, 12:40 PM
" I always hated to fire anybody. I'd think, 'Well, gee, he's got five kids' "
- Walt Disney

Iceman
03-24-2002, 06:22 PM
I am as big a Disney fan as anyone here, and I am so in awe of the vision that Walt Disney had and made a reality. That being said, I don't think it's quite fair to take his quotes and try to apply them to the current situation. The Walt Disney Company is infintely different from the operation Walt ran, and today's business climate is not the same he had to deal with. While I am disappointed in some of the decisions of Eisner, et. al., and I would run things differently were I in charge, I see too many people blanket their distate for the way things are by saying, "This isn't the way Walt would do it." Walt's gone. His legacy lives on, and will change and evolve into the future. But it's not fair to take individual snippets of his conversations and use them as evidence that the current management has it all wrong.

MonorailMan
03-24-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Iceman
I am as big a Disney fan as anyone here, and I am so in awe of the vision that Walt Disney had and made a reality. That being said, I don't think it's quite fair to take his quotes and try to apply them to the current situation. The Walt Disney Company is infintely different from the operation Walt ran, and today's business climate is not the same he had to deal with. While I am disappointed in some of the decisions of Eisner, et. al., and I would run things differently were I in charge, I see too many people blanket their distate for the way things are by saying, "This isn't the way Walt would do it." Walt's gone. His legacy lives on, and will change and evolve into the future. But it's not fair to take individual snippets of his conversations and use them as evidence that the current management has it all wrong.

Very good point. Walt lived in simpler days. Also, I hate to say this, but if Walt were still around and he would run his business like he did back then, he might get "Eaten Alive". :)

Dawnie
03-25-2002, 11:58 AM
But it's not fair to take individual snippets of his conversations and use them as evidence that the current management has it all wrong. [B]

Correct you are, Eisner and Co. produce all of the "evidence" we need. :D

LIMANDL4EVA
03-25-2002, 06:47 PM
ok im sorry my idea of the thread got taken off in the wrong direction, what I was trying to do was compare the times THEN to the times now, I know that if walt tried to run the company today the way he did then they wouldnt survive, what I was trying to get across was that times have a changed, a lot and the quotes that I stated that he said would be hard to keep up to this day and age.

Nigel2
03-25-2002, 09:25 PM
How true, if only some people would understand that the world is more cut throat now then it was in Walt's time (not saying that it wasn't cutthroat then as well). I beleive it was said that Walt was able to keep the loan collectors away so that may have been a sign of something important.