PDA

View Full Version : Grand Californian Tips and Tricks?

princess fiona
12-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Hi, I'm new here and just love all the info. My family is staying at the Grand Calif. from Dec.22-25. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to getting a decent room? We are not in a suite or have concerige(SP?) so I don't know if it is even possible to get anything other than a room to sleep but we do have a Downtown Disney view. I would just be interested if anyone knew of an especially good room at that rate and even how do I make request, or what I should request?? We plan to check in as early in the day as possible.
Can't wait for replies!!

Fiona

lbrackjo
12-12-2005, 06:36 PM
The only tip I can offer is not about getting a particular room, but getting from the room to D-land. Instead of walking back to the elevators, go down one of the stairs (if you are able to do 4 flights of staris) and you'll pop out close to Downtown Disney. The stairs look exactly like you would expect hotel bowel stairs to look like so be forwarned. You usually can't go back up, but it saves lots of steps on the way down and into the parks.

Also, past threads here have shown room number floor maps, you could search for those.

Susan L
12-12-2005, 06:46 PM
When you book your package or room you can always request a room/view with the Disney hotels but, room request are not garunteed. I think you have the right idea on checking in as early as possible to get what you want.

Please report back to us on your stay there. We are going to be staying at the GC in Feb. Have a wonderful Christmas holiday at Disneyland.

biolabetty
12-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Downtown Disney view seems to have a broad meaning. I have had a room over Quiksilver on the 5th floor with a nice view of the activities below, and within listening distance of the violinist there. We could also see parts of Fantasmic's show and fireworks. Then I also have had a room over the World of Disney store, again on the 5th floor, with a view of the tram loading area and not much else. I now request being placed in the main building, off of the lobby area, rather than the building you enter near the Napa Rose. I like the feel of it better, since you get to enter through the main lobby. The other entrance is just a very small room with elevators in it.

I also prefer being above the 3rd floor, just a personal preference, it seems to be less "busy" inside, but that could just be me. I have also had some very nice standard view rooms, looking out at the courtyard where the monorail goes through. It is very quiet, even when the monorail goes by, and my kids loved sitting out on the balcony waiting for the monorail.

This last visit, I was supposed to have a standard view room, but was upgraded to a theme park view room when I arrived. That was pretty nice too. Truly, the only view I did not like was the one looking at the tram loading zone. Have a great time, it is decorated very nicely for Christmas.