PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn mountain strobe effect on the Monster

Noah
12-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Ok, another strobe light question! :) What is with the flashing strobe when you pass the yeti, I guess the most obvious answer would be a flash for some type of in ride photo op that is no longer available. When was this discontinued? I sure wish they would disable the flash! Any insight on this?

DCACM
12-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Ok, another strobe light question! :) What is with the flashing strobe when you pass the yeti, I guess the most obvious answer would be a flash for some type of in ride photo op that is no longer available. When was this discontinued? I sure wish they would disable the flash! Any insight on this?

Nope, no photo op was ever offered. Just another perfect example of Disney's attention to detail...actual encounters with yetis are often accompanied by flashing lights. Ask any Himalayan.

Noah
12-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Are you being serious? I honestly thought it must have been for a on ride photo op. Very strange indeed.

Bolivar
12-10-2005, 11:05 AM
The strob is on the FL side, but not on the TL side.

ToursbabeC3po
12-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Please Be very careful at space if you have seizures!!!! It is the worst!
Then I would say HISTA is pretty bad and Star Tours for strobes. Astro blasters has a lot of visual stimulation but the strobes are not bad (If there are any I don't notice) But it is like a big video game.

Phantom2006
12-10-2005, 10:15 PM
I think it is just an effect just kinda to disorent you....you know like slow motion.

notlemc
12-11-2005, 10:26 PM
the strobe effect is to help make the Yeti look a bit sacrier. Rather than just seeing a yeti with it's legs glued to some white painted rocks growling at you, the strobe lights add some suprise to the event (even thought it may seem un-realistic). The same sort of effect is used in Indiana Jones with the boulder crashing. There, strobe lights go off to help add to the thrill of that moment. Realistic? No. But it just adds a little more suprise into scene.

potzbie
12-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Please Be very careful at space if you have seizures!

This is true.

There is a certain frequency of flashing lights which will trigger a epileptic fit, of which the first symptom is dizzyness and nausea.

Of the general public, a minority (1/5 or 1/4, I do not remember the percentage) of people are subject to this effect.

Lights which flash slower or faster than the certain frequency will not trigger the fits.
Strobe lights you buy cheap at an electronics strore are not dangerous, because of their lack of precise flashing.
But professional/industrial strobe lights are capable of having this effect.

Here is a story behind this.
There was a highway where the accident rate was higher than normal.
The engineers ultimately found out that the trees along the road, evenly spaced, in combination with a rising or setting sun, in combination with a certain driving speed, would cause the sunlight to flash at that certain rate at the eyes of the drivers, thus trigging the epileptic symptom in drivers.

Where did I learn this?
In my college class, "Physiological Psychology," at Cal State U. Los Angeles.
There was a film my professor showed to demonstrate the effect, with appropriate warnings of not watching if certain symptoms were felt.

Thus, a halloween "haunted house," which uses strobe lights of a certain frequency and strength, will put some people at risk.

Beware.