PDA

View Full Version : Space mountain building strobe lights off?

Noah
12-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Hi everyone! What happened to the strobe lights that used to flash cool patterns on the outside of the space mountain dome during the night? The last few times I have been to Dland I have just seen the building illuminated with standard lighting (no strobe effect on the outside of the building)

DianeM
12-09-2005, 04:35 PM
It's just a guess, but if DL was actually stupid enough to put strobe lights in a public place, they probably quickly learned that some people can't handle strobe lights (it's a form of epilepsy) and were forced to turn them off. There was a scandal a few years ago in Japan, a number of children were injured when a cartoon used strobe effects and they went into seizures.

Hi everyone! What happened to the strobe lights that used to flash cool patterns on the outside of the space mountain dome during the night? The last few times I have been to Dland I have just seen the building illuminated with standard lighting (no strobe effect on the outside of the building)

Noah
12-10-2005, 12:42 AM
The strobe lights were illuminated onto the dome of space mountain on the outside. The public would only see the light reflecting off of the paint and not have a strobe light projected directly at there eyes.
If strobes and Epileptic seizures was a concern though one could only imagine that Disney would have to remove the strobe flashes from Tower of terror, California Screaming, splash mountain, Matterhorn and Space mountain (the end of the ride when your picture is taken), So I highly doubt that Epliepsy is the case, although I do appreciate the reply!

DianeM
12-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Strobes inside rides shouldn't be a problem, since most people who have problems with them are aware of the risks and I'm betting DL has a list of not recommended rides for these people. I don't think brief flashes (such as the ones when they take the pictures) would be enough to trigger a seizure, anyway. Here is an interesting link on the topic, if you would like more info.

http://www.birket.com/strobes/Library/Strobes%20v%20Epilepsy,%20rev070704.htm

The strobe lights were illuminated onto the dome of space mountain on the outside. The public would only see the light reflecting off of the paint and not have a strobe light projected directly at there eyes.
If strobes and Epileptic seizures was a concern though one could only imagine that Disney would have to remove the strobe flashes from Tower of terror, California Screaming, splash mountain, Matterhorn and Space mountain (the end of the ride when your picture is taken), So I highly doubt that Epliepsy is the case, although I do appreciate the reply!

ToursbabeC3po
12-10-2005, 04:42 PM
I know they received complaints about it but I am not sure that is why it was removed.

sunfun94
12-10-2005, 05:56 PM
I don't think brief flashes (such as the ones when they take the pictures) would be enough to trigger a seizure, anyway.

The end of SM is quite a bit more intense with regards to the flashing lights then just a flash for the attraction photo. It is multi-colored flash that moves w/ you for a decent time going through the last tunnel into the load area...

I noticed when we were there last that they didnt have the effects on the Mtn on.. wondered what happened as we thought they were cool.