PDA

View Full Version : best time for reindeer viewing

shamrockshake
12-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi All,

We ( my husband, 3 year old daughter and 10 month old son) are going to disneyland this weekend. We are AP holders, so we expect it to be busy, but we love the Xmas decorations. I was wondering about the reindeer/Santa viewing on the weekend. Anyone have a good time they like to visit, when we can take pictures and not have to wait hours. ( I have no idea how poplar this is.) Also, are you able to get pictures of the kids on Santa's lap?

Sometimes things like this close earlier than the rest of the park. Does anyone know the weekend hours?

I really enjoy everyone's participation on the discussion board.

Can't wait for my Monte Cristo Sandwich on Saturday.

Will have to wait for the end of January for a mid week visit!

thanks much!

mi_mous
12-08-2005, 12:11 PM
I have done Santas Reindeer Roundup twice. The first time, we went and saw Santa and did the crafts and all.

I would recommend going as early as you can over there. It seemed to be less of a wait, although the line was pretty long when we were there, but I would say only about 20 people ahead of us. The thing that takes the longest is the kids saying what they want. We were there about noonish, and it wasn't too bad of a wait, but when we were there in the afternoon, the line was out of the cabin, and almost out of the ranch area.. so your best bet is probably as early as you can.

There were 2 Santas there, one I call the "nice" Santa, and the other I call the "mean" Santa. When we got in line, the "nice" Santa was there, you could tell he genuinely was having fun with each child, knew a whole bunch of toys and was interacting with them. Then, he went to go feed his reindeer, and check on Rudolph. The "mean" Santa took his place. We had the picture with the "mean" Santa. We went up there all excited to tell him what we wanted for Christmas (me, DS, and DD). All he did was sit there and smile for a picture and then took my son off of his lap. Same with my daughter. Like an assembly line of pictures.. not one word was spoken to my kids. It was kinda dissappointing. So, I hope you get the "Nice" Santa when you go.

OK, so there are crafts (a coloring page, or a reindeer cutout) going on there. They also have a cookie decorating station that you can do, it you want to pay to decorate a cookie, I think it was $5 last year. Mrs. Claus if you catch her, is sitting on a bench in front of the cabin, although the entrance to see Santa is off to the side.

The reindeer are in a big pen, and you can't get close up at all to the pen, but you can still see them. With little ones, you will probably have to hold them up cause they have a lot of decorations up to keep you from getting too close to the pen.

There are various characters wandering around the area, and it is surprisingly a lot less of a challenge to get pictures with them, or at least it was when I was there, don't know about busier times. Chip, Dale, Pluto, and some Chicken (can't think of her name) were all walking around in holiday gear.

There is also a band there that plays Christmas music, and plays games and such with the crowd. When we were there, it was two step round the Christmas tree, hence the avatar. I think the second time we were there, it was a musical chairs type game. I am not sure.

It is a lot of fun, and you can easily spend a lot of time there. I would if I had more time, and we weren't just stopping in.

They also have a tree lighting ceremony at night. I think it is around 5pm. It usually closes at 6 or 6:30, at least that was when it was closing both times I was there.

Hope that helps.

shamrockshake
12-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Mi Mous,

Thanks so much for ALL the information. Now I know EXACTLY what to do.

Will look forward to it!

cpeak
12-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Does anyone know when the Reindeer Roundup will stop. We will be there on Jan 1st-5th. I am pretty sure that Santa will be gone by then. I am so disappointed, we were supposed to be there in Nov., but we had an little accident and had to put it off.

ChipmunkStar
12-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Ah.. .the Roundup...

I too, would reccomend being at the ranch at the time it opens (10 a.m. daily). There are usually a few families waiting outside the Ranch gates before it even opens, but that's probably the shortest the line will ever be. The reindeer all rest and walk around at various times, but they seem to be a bit more playful when the weather is colder.

The entertainment usually begins around 11 am, and there are three different acts, each with a different feeling and mood to their performances. Bill and Candy Carol are the more mellow musicians (the ones that do the two-step around the christmas tree), and Farley the Fiddler is more interactive with Chicken dances, Hokey Pokeys and singalongs. The third act we have is the Merry Marrionettes, a nice puppet show with several different marrionettes in each show. Miss Chris is the owner of the Ranch, and pretty much keeps games and crafts going with the help of her Jolly Ranchers.

It's loads of fun there... I've seen families there for HOURS before, and they still have to drag their children out kicking and screaming (literally). Have fun!

ChipmunkStar
12-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Oh yeah, the official closing date for the Ranch is set for January 3. After Christmas, Santa plans on coming out to play with the rest of the characters and entertainment in the ranch side of the area, so you won't miss him :)

RStar
12-08-2005, 08:47 PM
mi mous, thanks for the info! I was wondering myself....

cpeak, I hope all is well and the little accident is ok now. Looks like you'll see Santa, so I hope you have a great trip to the park!

Merry Christmas!

~Bob

DaddyB
12-10-2005, 07:29 AM
For those of you who haven't seen it yet, pictures of the Reindeer Roundup are in my November 21st photo update here:

http://www.visionsfantastic.org/daddyb/2005_11_21_Update/11_21_Update.htm

Clara Cluck is the (very rarely seen) chicken character that leads (appropriately enough) the chicken dance.

I have pictures of "Farley The Fiddler", who is usually found wandering around Frontierland in other times of the year, leading the singing and dancing at the Reindeer Roundup.

TowerofTerror
12-10-2005, 08:34 AM
well i say do it first thing when first opens up in the morning.