PDA

View Full Version : Transportation from Universal area to Disneyland

Mark Goldhaber
12-07-2005, 06:38 PM
A friend of mine will be going to LA in February, and will be staying in the Universal area. He was wondering what sort of transportation options he'd have when he tries to go to Disneyland for a day. Since I always stay on or near property, I've got no idea what to tell him. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Darkbeer
12-07-2005, 06:54 PM
He has a few options..

The best is probably rent a car, you can get one at a low price from places like Hotwire or Priceline.

The second choice is using the rail system.

Take the subway from the Universal City station to Union Station.

Transfer to a Metrolink or Amtrak to Fullerton.

Take the OCTA bus 43 south to the DLR.

Andrew
12-07-2005, 06:55 PM
If he'll have a rental car, that would be the best. He could take the Metro to Union Station and pick up Amtrak down to Anaheim, but that would take all day and he'd still need to get to Disneyland from the station at the Big A. He could take a bus, or more likely several connecting busses. Taxi would be prohibitively expensive.

Mark Goldhaber
12-07-2005, 07:38 PM
I don't think that he was planning to rent a car, but it sounds like it may be his best bet. Thanks, guys! I'll pass it along.

JeffG
12-07-2005, 08:25 PM
He could also check into shuttle services between Universal and Disneyland. I know that there are several shuttles available to transport people staying at Disneyland-area hotels to Universal, but I don't know how much is available going the other direction. There is a good chance that whatever hotel he will be staying at would have information available.

-Jeff

tod
12-08-2005, 09:15 AM
I just checked the Gray Line site, and they have day trips FROM Anaheim TO Universal, but not the other way around.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

--t

ChicagoCarlessMike
12-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Public transitwise, it could take 2 and a half hours depending on the timing (since we're talking about going 50 miles from the Valley all the way to central Orange County), but you could do it for $3.50:

Red Line subway from Universal City to Metro Center, then
#460 bus to Disneyland.

Mrs. Newseditor44
12-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Is he going on a weekday or on a weekend because that would differ greatly. I suggest going via train during the weekday because its convenient and he could rest all the way back to Universal instead of battling traffic through LA. As Darkebeer suggested, take the Red Line from Universal to Union Station (20 min) then take Metrolink to Fullerton Station (30min) or Anaheim (40 min). If he leaves back to Universal late then he would have to take Amtrak back to Union Station. I know of several people who commute from Orange County to Universal/NBC to work and its much less of a hastle for them.

Andrew
12-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Red Line subway from Universal City to Metro Center, then
#460 bus to Disneyland.
Don't forget a return trip is needed. Does that work in reverse?

Darkbeer
12-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Fullerton is the better choice is you take the train.

First off, the fare is cheaper by a $1 each way than Anaheim. And as mentioned cuts down the time on the train.

The OCTA bus (route 43) stops inside the station, and runs every 15 minutes, seven days a week. It goes down Harbor straight to the DLR. If you take the Metrolink, the bus is free.

And going back, Amtrak has some late running trains, so you can stay until about 9 PM or so (you need to be at Union Station by Midnight to catch the subway).

And by the way, there isn't that much difference between the weekday and weekend train schedules, so it is a good choice 7 days a week.

Mrs. Newseditor44
12-08-2005, 03:38 PM
And by the way, there isn't that much difference between the weekday and weekend train schedules, so it is a good choice 7 days a week.

Just to clarify for those that aren't familiar w/public transit in SoCal....there is NO weekend service on the Metrolink on the OC Line but Amtrak does run 7 days a week and there is really no difference in time.

Darkbeer
12-08-2005, 03:55 PM
OK, the main part is the train schedule, so lets look at some choices...

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/lines/schedules/#

Weekday mornings, you have Metrolink trains leaving Union Station at 6:25 AM, 7:20 AM and 8 AM, the trip takes about 35 minutes to fullerton, so this easily get you to the park for opening, and there are Amtrak trains that leave later.

The Metro Rail Red Line (Subway) runs every 10 minutes, and takes about 26 minutes, so to leave time to buy the Metrolink ticket, I would plan to get to the Universal City staion about an hour prior to the Metrolink/Amtrak leaving.

The OCTA bus leaves the Fullerton station every 15 minutes or less, and takes about 20 minutes to get to the DLR.

So the trip down would cost

$1.25 subway

$5.75 Metrolink

Free transfer to OCTA

$7 one way to the DLR

On weekends, it is Amtrak leaving the Union Station at 7:20 and 8:30 AM, and later...

The subway runs every 15 minutes on weekend mornings.

So on weekends..

$1.25 subway

$8.50 Amtrak fare

$1.25 OCTA

So $10 one way...

On the way back, only Amtrak trains run in the evening (after rush hour).

Weekdays, trains leave at 8:13 and 10:27 PM

Weekends, trains leave at 8:27, 10:27 and 11.24 PM

The fare on the way back would also be $10 one way.

I would get on the OCTA bus stop about an hour earlier than when the train leaves to allow time to buy tickets, etc...

Of course, schedules can change at any time, so make sure and verify the times just beofre you go.

Enter The Mouse
12-08-2005, 08:47 PM
We took the tram three years ago and I still remember it. The driver was so fast we thought we would crash. It was scary. I'm sure not all drivers are like that but we were all scared.

Mrs. Newseditor44
12-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Anyhow, give yourself time if you take the subway/train/bus option.

There are several Metrolink ticket machines but the line does get long! There is also a window but I believe there is two open (one on each side of the tunnel). Trying to find the correct platform can get confusing and to those not familiar but remember the time of departure and that the trains heading southbound on the OC line, the final destination is either Irvine, Oceanside or San Juan Cap. On Amtrak, I believe you still may be able to purchase tickets (cash only) from the conductor as my husband was able to do that a few times but its always better to have a ticket purchased in advance because they can sell out during weekends.

Oh and when you head back to Universal from Union Station (Red Line Subway), please take the Universal City train and NOT the Wishire/Western. I've seen too many people jump on the wrong train because either train can load/unload from the left or right platform.

TahoeBob
12-09-2005, 09:58 PM
I don't think that he was planning to rent a car, but it sounds like it may be his best bet. Thanks, guys! I'll pass it along.

When I flew into LAX a few weeks ago I got a rental can from a off site place that runs a shuttle from LAX to there place about 1 mile away or so. A PT cruser for the rate of $14.95 a day the place is ACE rent a car