PDA

View Full Version : Mini Trip Report

h_lehmann
12-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Took my two sons (age 11 and 15) to the Park today; hoping to ride Space Mountain and catch the Remember fireworks show.

- Halfway down the Ventura Freeway, I ask my 15 year old "Did you remember to bring your annual pass?"; "No Dad, didn't you bring it?". Take the next exit, head back home to get the annual pass, forget about getting to the park before the gates open.

- First off, we head to Space Mountain. He went on it for his first time a few weeks ago on another trip, my younger son has never been on it, and I haven't been on it since the 80's (seriously). It's pretty much what I remember, but the sound track's better and there are those strobe lights near the end. They went on it for a second time; me, in my middle age, couldn't stomach it more than once a day.

- Great breakfast, as always, at the River Belle Terrace. (Mark Twain, bacon, and an orange juice.)

- The Park wasn't too crowded today, certainly not as bad as the last time we were here on a Sunday, back in August I think.

- Roger Rabbit went 101 while we were in line; we stuck around anyway, and it was back in service within 15 minutes.

- Noticed some audio glitches today; the Tarzan's Treehouse audio loop wasn't playing while we waited in that long line for breakfast, nor were the spaakers at the waterfront the first time we walked through that area.

- On a whim, we rode the Pater Pan ride; probably for the first time in five years or so. It brought back memories from when my kids were *much* younger; such as "Why is there a 25 minute line for a 25 second ride?"

- Caught a few minutes of Alan on the piano at Coke Corner. He's *really*good, but we're still wishing Rod Miller would get better soon and start making more appearances. My 15 year old took his turn at the keyboard, improvising his way through the Hungarian Rhapsody; he always loves the appreciative audience that Disneyland provides.

- The Candlelight Processional happened tonight, with two shows (5:15PM and 7:45PM). I knew about this event from other posts here on Mouseplanet, but had never witnessed it myself. We found ourselves walking along Main Street alongside a throng of people all carrying electric candles, who were on their way to join the rest of the chorus & orchesta in front of the Main Street Station. My older son caught the entire show; while I was stuck helping my younger son decide which card trick to buy at the Magic Shop. I did catch parts of it; Dick Van Dyke did a great job reading Christmas stories, and the choir sang a very good rendition of the obligatory Hellelujah Chorus to finish up the program. Now that I know more about it; maybe next year I'll catch the entire show. Hats off to the Crowd Control folks, their work is cut out for them during this event.

- No "Remember" fireworks tonight; again; due to the high winds. The winds had died down during the afternoon, only to pick up again as night set in. From talking to the regulars that hang out at Coke Corner, there were no fireworks last night either.

- Once the announcement had been made that there would be no fireworks, there was the usual Biblical exodus out of the park, requiring the use of the back stage area between Coke Corner and the fire hall. We were sent that way; my first time. "So... that's were they keep the Jungle Cruise boats when they're sleeping. And look, over there, real Disney dumpsters!"

- Skipped the tram back to Mickey & Friends parking due to the crowds; even though we were tired from walking all day, we once again decided to hoof it back to the parking garage.

- Back home by 10:45PM, in time to get them to bed so that we have a chance of getting them up for school tomorrow.

mi_mous
12-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Sounds like you had a great time tonight. I really wanted to go to the candlelight processional tonight, and it was cancelled the last time I was there during it. Perhaps next year, I will get tickets for our family for Christmas.. I REALLY wanted to see Dick Van Dyke though. I was thrilled when I could see Julie Andrews on May 5th, when we were there. Dick Van Dyke would have been the icing on the cake.
I will be going tomorrow, so I am glad that you posted. I have a little more sense of what types of crowds to expect. I am not going to stay for the fireworks, probably only make it a half day.. knowing me, I won't. But, we won't stick around saving a spot for the fireworks.. we have already seen them, and I'm not thinking they will go on especially with the winds being the way that they are.
Thanks for the update!