PDA

View Full Version : Breakdowns on 12/3

iceman559
12-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Hello. I was wondering if any of you know why Splash Mountain broke down on Sat 12/3 around 9:15 AM and why Space Mountain broke down around 2:15 PM that same day. I was on Splash when I got off to see that they had closed the big door at the entrance but were still sending logs around. Also, I went to use my fastpass to splash when they said that it was shut down. Just wondering why

pretty Omi
12-04-2005, 08:41 PM
ride shut downs are really just a part of a regular day at any theme park, there isn't always a specific reason given, it just happens, and at a place like disneyland, you have to expect it really

ChicagoCarlessMike
12-04-2005, 09:23 PM
On Space, it's usually not a breakdown. Eleven trains can operate at one time, but they can't all fit in the station. If trains back up in the station due to a slowdown in loading and unloading of guests, at a certain point an automatic cascade of the emergency brakes located at various points within the ride occurs. Everyone has to be unloaded from the ride before it can be reset and this takes some time. Even with the new loading area, this is apparently still a common feature of the daily Space experience.

TowerofTerror
12-04-2005, 09:39 PM
rides aren't perfect so expect them to break down every so often.

jpeben
12-04-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm pretty good friends with the Space Mountain cast members and they told me about Saturday and said it just cascaded 3 times becaues of slow guests. He did tell me a particular funny story about that day but I don't think I'll mention it here.

disneygurl92
12-05-2005, 07:18 AM
awwww. I wanna story. lol jk

iceman559
12-05-2005, 01:31 PM
well yeah I kinda expect shutdowns/breakdowns of the rides. I was actually on Space on Thursday when it did a cascade stop at like 10:15 AM.

however, I was just wondering about Splash because when we got off, they kept running logs. I figured that if they had to actually "shut it down", that they would stop the guests where they are. However, it appears as though they continued running the logs until all guests that were already on the ride were back at the loading area and gone.

screamin4ever
12-05-2005, 04:20 PM
AND space broke down twice on Sunday. Perhaps instead of slow guests it's CMs and their training? Or maybe 10 trains would be better? I love the handicapped access to this ride now. What a great idea. Take as long as you need and don't mess-up the ride for evryone else.

ChicagoCarlessMike
12-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Well, I wonder is Space the king of ride stoppages, or are there other attractions that go down a couple times a day? I mean, regularly go down. I remember getting stuck on Pirates for 45 minutes once and getting walked out an emergency exit past all the audioanimatronics, but that felt more like the exception than the rule.

Doug
12-05-2005, 05:02 PM
I was on Splash one day, not too long ago, we where near the bottom of the lift for the big drop, we sat there for a while then the cast members came out, and started unloading people, this one cast member was a real peach (ahem), told me angrily not to take pictures, why in the world would I not be allowed to take pictures while we are inside the ride .... I even took a picture behind the scenes, big woop.... geesh... but the problem was, the lift chain broke, the maint guy walked past me, and I said "lift chain broke?", he said "yep! I'll have it fixed in 5 minutes!" ... cool... CM's should never me angry at visitors, it's because of us they have a job!

FantasmicFanatic
12-05-2005, 05:16 PM
AND space broke down twice on Sunday. Perhaps instead of slow guests it's CMs and their training? Or maybe 10 trains would be better? I love the handicapped access to this ride now. What a great idea. Take as long as you need and don't mess-up the ride for evryone else.

I think the design and the CMs are just fine. Some guests just are slow, c'mon, get in and sit down already! If you are disabled and need extra time, use the disabled queue.

FF

jpeben
12-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Its not the CM's, I've seen it in action. If some one is really tall they sometimes put the lap bar down in a weird way where the CM has to make them put it the right way and then it takes time and it cascades and then the rides down for a half hour. Or sometimes people get things stuck in the pouches. When they are at full capacity they have to keep the rockets moving I think every 25 seconds. If on busy days they ran with fewer rockets than possible to avoid cascades, the line would take forever.