PDA

View Full Version : Planning our honeymoon ... need help! (A bit long!)

2006Honeymooners
12-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Hi everyone,

My honey and I are getting married in June (204 days away! :D), and we will be spending three nights at Disneyland, then three or four nights in San Diego. Yesterday, he made our reservations for the Grand Californian through DVC Member Services. (Gotta love those points.) Yay! We wanted a Downtown Disney view, and we requested a view of the MK fireworks -- not guaranteed, but requested. And yep, he told them it's our honeymoon.

I've been to Disneyland and DCA quite a few times, but most of those times were as a child, and I don't know it like I know WDW. Our honeymoon will be his first trip there, and I really want this trip to be extra special for him. By the way, he and I are both members of another board, but I'm hoping to come up with some surprises, so I needed to find another board to keep it a secret. Can you help? Any and all advice, tips, suggestions, etc., are welcome. Specifically, I'm wondering about:

*The Vacation Planners. Can we use them if we made our reservations through DVC Member Services? How do I contact them, and what do I need to know before I do?

*The Fantasmic viewing options. I've never seen Fantasmic at Disneyland, and I'm feeling pretty clueless there.

*Any ideas you might have for extra magic, romance, fun, etc. We love character meals and meet-and-greets; we love the rides and shows; we love any and all Disney Details. (I'm thinking about booking the "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour -- are there others I should consider?)

*Any restaurant suggestions you might have.

Thank you so much!

Sandy

P.S. If anyone has any tips for San Diego, those would be greatly appreciated too! :D

hlbtimes2
12-02-2005, 07:05 AM
Yes, you can use vacation planning since you are staying onsite. Doesnt matter how you booked it. The number can be found at the disneyland.com site. I'm too lazy to go look it up. I bet someone will post it here for you.

F! seating is one of 3 options- find a spot early, have a seat and wait. Not the funnest way to spend the evening! Or you can reserve a seat. You'll want to do this exactly 30 days before you want to go- or actually, your best bet is to have VP take care of it for you. Call them a few days before the 30 day mark and they'll reserve. Its $57 per person. You can choose balcony, which is limited to 22 people. Its at the Gallery. You are served desserts and have a great view above the crowds. You loose a little of the "show" being up there. You cant feel the mist and heat from the fire- but its a special feeling to be up there above everyone. Or there is riverside seating- also $57. The desserts are more like snacks (cookies and what not). But, you get to feel the mist and heat- which really adds to the show if you ask me. There is a lot more seats at the riverside seating.

Raven
12-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Vacation planning is AWESOME! I am using them right now to iron out the final details of my honeymoon next week!!!!

stan4d_steph
12-02-2005, 07:25 AM
The phone number for Vacation Planning is 714-300-7526 (select option 2).

I would highly recommend making a reservation at Napa Rose. You might want to let them know you would like a quiet, romantic spot for your seating too. :)

bassett1976
12-02-2005, 07:36 AM
First, when you arrive you have to buy the wedding mouse ears. This is a great way to show that you are on your honeymoon without being annoying and yelling it out to everyone.

I would recommend getting Blue Boyou reservations and get there early and ask for a water table. Then I would get the Fantasmic tickets for the balcony if you can actually make it up there. Finally, the napa rose is wonderful and when they ask if you are celebrating any special occasions let them know its your honeymoon. My wife and I got dessert.

Wow, this brings back so many good memories of my wife and I taking a trip for our honeymoon!

Mrs. Newseditor44
12-02-2005, 09:28 AM
P.S. If anyone has any tips for San Diego, those would be greatly appreciated too! :D

If I were on my honeymoon and going to San Diego, I'd stay at the Hotel Del Coronado. Its quite pricey but its a very nice place to relax and stroll along the beach. If you are up for it and willing to pay the price, you can treat yourselves to a very nice honeymoon dinner at the Prince of Wales.

Another option is to stay at one of the hotels near Petco Field or Gaslamp Qtr. The ones that I remember is the Marriott or the Hyatt. Since you'll be there in June/July, you can catch a Padres game or even walk along the Gaslamp for dinner. Oh course there is Sea World, Balboa Park and the Zoo. North in San Diego County in Escondido is the Wild Animal Park. Or since it is your honeymoon, you can drive north about an hour (?) to Temecula Wine Country. They have hot air balloon rides and you can do a bit of wine tasting as well.

bassett1976
12-02-2005, 09:35 AM
San Diego tips, I would check out getawaytoday.com. They have some great deals on hotels that come with SeaWorld tickets and you can also get zoo tickets for some great prices. My wife and I will be using out getawaytoday package in about 2 weeks.

prncsmsj
12-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by 2006Honeymooners
P.S. If anyone has any tips for San Diego, those would be greatly appreciated too!

I second staying at the Hotel Del Coronado. It is beautiful. Also, for a special dinner, try Star of the Sea. It has fantastic seafood, a great atmosphere, and a beautiful view overlooking the water.

Also, if you don't have AP's, there is a Southern California City Pass available, which has a 3-day Park Hopper, Sea World ticket, and a ticket to either the Zoo or the Wild Animal Park. It is a really good deal if you plan on doing both Disney and San Diego - less than $200 for all. The new one will be offered beginning April 1st and is rumored to have Universal tickets, too.

sierranevada
12-02-2005, 01:44 PM
I third the suggestions of the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego!

As far as Disneyland - vacation planning can do ALL of your arrangements for you - priority dining seating, Fantasmic! tickets, Tours, ask for Premium seating for Aladdin - no cost and they can usually do it. They have a whole list of gift baskets and food items you can order delivered to the room (chocolate dipped strawberries & champagne... how romantic!) - basically, whatever you need, they can do. And make sure when you talk to them (and anyone else when you are planning this trip) that they know you are on your honeymoon. Mention it to the gate attendants at the airport - my husband and I got upgraded on one leg of our honeymoon flight.

Seconding some recommendations already in this thread - Fantasmic! Balcony; Dinner at Napa Rose; Lunch at Blue Bayou; 50th Anniversary Tour (or Walk in Footsteps tour); Get the Bride & Groom ears; Make a wish together at the wishing well; Get your picture taken in front of the castle and have them photoshop Tinkerbell in; Ride around the train around the park and kiss in the tunnels! and have a wonderful time!

Congratulations!

sierranevada
12-02-2005, 01:44 PM
I third the suggestions of the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego!

As far as Disneyland - vacation planning can do ALL of your arrangements for you - priority dining seating, Fantasmic! tickets, Tours, ask for Premium seating for Aladdin - no cost and they can usually do it. They have a whole list of gift baskets and food items you can order delivered to the room (chocolate dipped strawberries & champagne... how romantic!) - basically, whatever you need, they can do. And make sure when you talk to them (and anyone else when you are planning this trip) that they know you are on your honeymoon. Mention it to the gate attendants at the airport - my husband and I got upgraded on one leg of our honeymoon flight.

Seconding some recommendations already in this thread - Fantasmic! Balcony; Dinner at Napa Rose; Lunch at Blue Bayou; 50th Anniversary Tour (or Walk in Footsteps tour); Get the Bride & Groom ears; Make a wish together at the wishing well; Get your picture taken in front of the castle and have them photoshop Tinkerbell in; Ride around the train around the park and kiss in the tunnels! and have a wonderful time!

Congratulations!

sixwoofys
12-03-2005, 03:46 PM
I agree with bassett1976 completly. I would schedule an evening meal at Blue Bayou for sure. Then I would definetly get balcony seats for Fantasmic. I find that DCA can be very romantic in some ways. Sit at a table at the Cove (next to Ariel's Grotto) after dark. The lights and view are very pretty. Have lobster nachos and a beverage (or two). Listen to Screamin'. Ride Screamin, ride T of T, see Aladdin (priority seating), ride Soarin', and Shop. Alot. Then walk downtown Disney and shop more. Buy stuff. Go back to your motel and order room service, (something with strawberries and cream)..etc. etc.

crazi4dlr
12-04-2005, 08:35 AM
We spent our honeymoon at DL almost 10 years ago and were there again this past June for our anniversary. I booked the 10:30 balcony seating for Fantasmic as a special treat for our anniversary. You have to call exactly 30 days before you will be there and you need to get into the phone line and be able to hit speed dial because I called from 7:59 a.m. and got the message that they were not open yet until 8:03 a.m. and by the time I got in, all of the 9:00 show was sold out. Also, your seats in the balcony are determined by the order that the tickets are sold. My DH and I were #4 but we got front row seats. The balcony is so romantic and the desserts are wonderful. I will probably never do it again because I'm not a big Fantasmic fan but it was a wonderful treat. Also, we made reservations at the Blue Bayou that trip. Neither of us had been there. We requested a waterside table and it was very romantic to sit with our backs to the rest of the restaurant and look out into the water. DL can be very romantic when it's just the 2 of you. Be in your own world, sleep late, have breakfast at the Carnation Cafe and just stroll through the park enjoying each other and the magic. Congratulations and blessings to both of you.

mi_mous
12-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Ok, this is the third attempt at this, somehow my computer doesn't like me posting advice to you!

I 4th the "Del" as well!! The Glorieta Bay Inn is nice as well, and just across the street. Something to check into if the Del is too pricey.

Primavera is a GREAT restaurant to eat at on Coronado, and if they know that it is your honeymoon, they treat you extra special. (I know an EXCELLENT concierge and she can make you some reservations if you would like. PM me and let me know if you would like that.)

It usually kicks me off now, so I will post this, and start working on the other things.....

mi_mous
12-04-2005, 11:52 PM
OK, now that those things are posted....

There is also a really nice and romantic thing on Coronado that not a lot of people know about.. it's a gondola ride in the Lowes resort. You get an hour long ride with views of the bay, and the nice homes that are right on the water. The view of the bay is the best!! I recommend it at night. (They do have blankets to keep you warm.) It is $75 for the hour, and you get chocolate covered strawberries, iced beverage (you bring the beverage), some romantic music playing, and gorgeous views.
My husband and I did it last year for our anniversary, and it was GREAT!! VERY romantic. The only thing I had reservations about was getting all mushy and all in front of the person rowing. He had ear plugs in, listening to his own music, and he could have cared less about what we were doing, so don't worry about that sort of thing.

About Disneyland.. we also did that on our honeymoon! (We only had one day, and DCA was not built yet.)

I too think you should get the mouse ears that say in a rather "discreet" way that you are honeymooning!! I think it's cute when people do have them on, and I have actually seen couples get special congrats from cast members while wearing them!

I say do things that you can remember and go back and do!! Blue Bayou is a MUST!! (I ordered a mint julep drink there, and now when we eat there, I always order one, out of nostalgia.) Get an ornament from the Christmas shop, or some other Mickey and Minnie (or other character) honeymoon or wedding thing you will remember your time by! Sit in the little "benches" that are carved out on the drawbridge to the castle and eat a treat, or just enjoy being together and talk. ( I have yet to do this, because I always have kids with me now! But, it's something I always see people doing, and want to do it.)

If you need assistance, or advice on anything that I have mentioned, let me know, and I will help you out, no problem!!

Have fun! Good luck with the planning!! It will be here in no time!!

disneyjunkie
12-05-2005, 06:46 PM
At Disneyland: hooray to all of the above suggestions. Have fun take pictures with the characters , and dont be shy about asking other people to use your camera and take a picture of the two of you. People are really nice about doing this and if you have your wedding ears on your sure to get lots of offers to take pictures for you.

Raven
12-06-2005, 12:42 PM
I will be there tomorrow on my honeymoon, where can I buy these "wedding ears"? THANKS!

mi_mous
12-06-2005, 12:50 PM
I will be there tomorrow on my honeymoon, where can I buy these "wedding ears"? THANKS!

At any of the mad hatter shops. There is one on Main Street (Right side, if you are facing the castle, over by the 50th anniversary presentation, formerly Great moments with Mr. Lincoln.) and there is the Mad Hatter shop in Fantasyland right next to the tea cups. Have fun!!

2006Honeymooners
12-08-2005, 05:00 AM
Oh my gosh, everyone!!! Thank you SO much for the information!

mi mous, thanks for the extra efforts at posting even though you kept getting kicked off. :D I will be sending you a PM.

Thanks again, all.

cannondale
12-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Congrats on the honeymoon! We actually went last March four ours! As far as Disneyland, it sounds like everyone has you covered with the exception of the enhanced fastpass option (only available when you book through AAA and stay on Disney property). It allows multiple fastpasses at a time (one for EACH ride giving them out at the time) with only the starting expiration time required before pulling another for the SAME ride. Technically it is possible to have passes for all the rides and in some cases multiples for some rides.

As far as San Diego goes, we took the Amtrak train between Anaheim and San Diego and it was great! Since we didn't need a car at Disneyland we saved some cash by not having to rent a car in Anaheim. We rented one in San Diego from Fox Rent-A-Car at an incredibly cheap rate. They even picked us up at the train station (we called ahead and it was no problem). Great views of the coast from Anaheim to San Diego! Plus it was fun! Get a buisness class ticket and sit on the side facing the ocean.

Go to the San Diego Zoo AND the Wild Animal Park (they are at separate locations). The Wild Animal Park is farther away but worth every minute! It is an outdoor Serengheti-type setting where you see the animals mixing with all different species in a natural setting. Take the train ride to see all of it.

I also recommend the Del for your hotel! Awesome! As far as restaurants go, my parents celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary last year at a restaurant called The Chart House. It is in the town of Cardiff by the Sea (that is the town's full name) and is about a 20 minute drive from San Diego up the coast. Look it up online. It is right on the water and has spotlights looking out into the sea so you have an AMAZING view of the ocean. Call ahead for reservations and ask for a seaside table. You won't be disappointed! Hope this helps! Happy Honeymooning!