PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Eve!

mckygirl99
12-02-2005, 05:39 AM
I have never been to DLR on New Year's Eve. We usually go to the Rose Parade b/c we have a nice set up there. This year, I really want to go DLR.

My question is how early should I get there to enjoy the festivities? I want to go at like 7:00 but am scared the park will reach capacity before then. Has it ever reached capacity on NYE? I am a little nervous about this after reading about the attendance levels last week. I am a premium PH and my husband has a deluxe so we have to pay for him ($30, right?).

Anyways, thanks for all your help in advance!

stan4d_steph
12-02-2005, 07:11 AM
The earlier the better. I think 7 is too late to arrive for NYE. I think we had already started to stake out our spot in front of the castle by 7 the one time I went on NYE.

SportyTink
12-02-2005, 11:42 AM
I have been to Disneyland 3 times on New Year's Eve (1999,2000, 2002) and of those three times it never hit capacity that I am aware of. We always used to get there early in the morning and the crowds were relatively light up until about 7PM. By that time we had alreaday done all the rides and what not and so at that point it was easy to kind of just relax and stake out a decent spot near the train station (that way we could get out quickly after midnight). Between 6 & midnight is when the park becomes a MAD HOUSE, but again do not recall it ever reaching capacity (even on y2k).

Also, yes you are correct about the $30 charge for your dh.

mckygirl99
12-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks! Hopefully, my husband will get off early enough so we can make it or maybe I'll have him meet me there.

janell
12-03-2005, 06:33 AM
I have been at DL over New Years for the past 15 years, I would be in the park no later the 3:00pm. Just because there has been a year where they have shut the gates at 3:30. And with this year being the 50th and the park has been busy during off season, I think New Years is going to be really busy.

Hope you have a great time.

Happy Hoildays. :)

Loteki
12-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Hubby and I were laying in bed watching tv at 8pm a couple of years ago and realized that, after one year of marriage, we were about to drop off to sleep on New Year's Eve like an old fogey married couple. So we got up, got dressed and rushed over to DL. Got parking, tram, and entry without a hitch... decided we'd head to IASW area for the midnight festivities... and hit a wall of people just to the right of the hub in front of the castle. We literally were standing there pinned against our fellow guests for two hours before the fireworks and show but it was GREAT and so worth it!

The only "bad" part about the evening was getting back out... took us an hour to get to the exit gate, a good half hour to walk back down the tram road (no trams NYE) to the parking lot, and another hour to get out of the lot.

mckygirl99
12-08-2005, 01:36 PM
The only "bad" part about the evening was getting back out... took us an hour to get to the exit gate, a good half hour to walk back down the tram road (no trams NYE) to the parking lot, and another hour to get out of the lot.

Why were there no trams on NYE? That would be horrible! Has it been like that every year??

ozbeauticn
12-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Why were there no trams on NYE? That would be horrible! Has it been like that every year??

With sooo many people leaving right after midnight, it would take even longer to wait for the trams to load. Instead, they let the crowds walk along the tram route back to the parking garage. Unfortunately, this means everyone is then trying to get out of the garage at the same time.

Diosabellissima
12-09-2005, 12:38 PM
Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster :D

I FINALLY got off my butt and registered just for this thread! My friend and I will be heading down to Disneyland just for new years (well, not JUST for new years, this will be my 10th trip down this year).

Out of the thousands of times that I have been to DL, I have never been on New Years- so any tips or tricks would be much appreciated! Our plan was to get there at opening time, hang out for a few hours, leave after lunch at the Blue Bayou (so maybe 12:30), head over to our hotel for a nap, then come back about 5 or 6 PM. Apparently, that is too late to return to the park?

What exactly happens on New Years? Special fireworks? Special shows? Where should we be to see all the goodness? Is it really necessary to park ourselves for 5 hours? :eek:

nursemelis374
12-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Well, we went last year on NYE and it was not that crowded. Granted, it had rained all day, but it was nothing like everyone spoke of on the boards. My friend had gone the year before and said it wasn't as bad as she expected. We got there at about 7:30 and stayed until 1:30. We staked out a great spot in front of the castle at 11 with no problems. The trams were running when we left at 1:30. We had a great time and are going again this year!