PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else been "injured"?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

mi_mous
12-01-2005, 02:03 PM
We went to Disneyland on Sunday, and I took both my kids on the Astro Oribiter. We all 3 had to fit into the tiny rocket, and while I was getting in, my leg was clipped by the peg that the seat belt straps to. It hurt right away, but by the end of the ride, I was fine, or I only limped like the second I got off then was fine. I can't remember.
I now have a BIG black bruise (the size of a half dollar coin) on the back of my leg from where I was clipped.
Of course, I am not mad or anything, it really looks worse than it feels. But, I'm just wondering if anything like this has happened to anyone else, perhaps so I can be forewarned on other rides that this might happen on??

Susan L
12-01-2005, 02:21 PM
My DH is 6'3", DS is 6', and DD is 5'10" none of them will ride the bobsleds unless they can ride without someone sitting with them because it always hurts their knees. Me of course it doesn't bother riding with or without someone because I'm only 5'5"

DisneyQB
12-01-2005, 02:58 PM
I twisted my ankle pretty bad last year on Main Street. If you pay attention, their curb actually starts to gradually appear out of the flat surface near the entrance. I was running with my 3-year-old to catch the final moments of the parade, for the snow, and twisted my ankle on the curb when it was about 3 inches high, before it got full size. Not very safe, if you ask me.

My ankle was swollen the next day and I gimped around the park to let the kids continue to have fun.

Be careful out there.

Brydagr8
12-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Im 6'2, most of the rides are a tight fit but I usually can manage. I wont ride the bobsleds with soimebody else unless its a small child. Infact most of the rollercoasters are a little cramped. I have to do a neat little manuver to get into the space moutain cars. Screamin' is also dificult if you sit in the front cars. Autopia cars are also somewhat painfull becauseyou have to hold the pedal down in a cramped space, Your leg muscles will be very sore. The worst injury I have recived at Disneyland would probably be at the haunted mansion, the automated closing lapbar thingy closed on my knee leaving a bruise. Having big feet, I have triped a few times on potholes and dips.

tinksmom
12-01-2005, 04:08 PM
I got a really bad rash on my feet the last day of my last trip. It covered the top of my feet, except for where my sandal straps were. I blame the Splash Mountain water.

geoffa
12-01-2005, 04:40 PM
I got a really bad rash on my feet the last day of my last trip. It covered the top of my feet, except for where my sandal straps were. I blame the Splash Mountain water.

As the water contains chlorine its unlikely that caused the rash. More likely to be be a heat /. sweat rash (even if you do bathe your feet).

And to the Mom who twisted her ankle - did your Mother never tell you NOT TO RUN!

Boy! What a blame culture.:fez:

DangerMouse
12-01-2005, 04:58 PM
I got whiplash on Screamin during the final brake. Had a headache for hours. But it was soooooo worth it. :D

DianeM
12-01-2005, 05:35 PM
My mother was bruised very badly on one of the dark rides in Fantasyland. She was slow getting out of the ride (she has arthritis of the spine) and the operator didn't notice that she was halfway out, and moved the car forward. She was dragged several feet and ended up with a huge black bruise on the lower part of her leg. It really looked awful - covered her entire calf. Now, when we travel with her, I make sure I stand next to her and help her out of the ride, talking loudly if she is slow. We also use handicapped access on any rides I feel she might have significant trouble getting in and out of.

I now have a BIG black bruise (the size of a half dollar coin) on the back of my leg from where I was clipped.
Of course, I am not mad or anything, it really looks worse than it feels. But, I'm just wondering if anything like this has happened to anyone else, perhaps so I can be forewarned on other rides that this might happen on??

Mrs. Newseditor44
12-01-2005, 06:19 PM
As the water contains chlorine its unlikely that caused the rash. More likely to be be a heat /. sweat rash (even if you do bathe your feet).

There are people in this world that do get rashes (according my my son's allergist) from water or products in water.

Pirate Princess
12-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Had the same bruise in May from Astro Orbitor... looked lovely in shorts.

Saddlesore Swanson
12-01-2005, 06:34 PM
the first time i went to DCA i was hurt -- emotionally. :crying: does that count?

sierranevada
12-01-2005, 07:23 PM
We were watching BPB in DCA in July. When they shot off the nerf balls at the end, I stepped over a small (knee high) fence to get a few for my son and his friend. This woman proceeded to ram me full speed so I flew over the fence, scraping the inside of my leg from my knee to my inner thigh - that bruise lasted for weeks! She also took a ball out of my son's friends hand and from my sister! And when I tried to hand some out to some little kids that were in front of us, she kept trying to grab them. Some people!

DaddyB
12-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Everytime I get out of a doombuggy I bang my right knee (the one that's had surgery and hours of therapy and by all accounts will never be 'normal' again... so you'd think I'd know better) on the part of the doombuggy that folds out.

I did it again just last night. HMH is just not worth that pain.

Like I said, you'd think I'd know better. I'm a slow learner, I guess.

wHiTe2k3eP
12-01-2005, 08:11 PM
on a trip back in the late 90's, i got bit on the side of my head by a mosquito at the hungry bear... this resulted in SWELLING on my head and cheeks, and numerous trips to first aid for bags of ice... i had to wear my baseball cap the whole time, sucked big time.

vino cave girl
12-01-2005, 08:13 PM
I broke my ankle in June of this year at California Adventure. I was walking across the little swinging bridge in the Brother Bear park. When you step off of the bridge the surface is soft and my foot sank in. I am still physical therapy for it. We returned to the same spot in October and noticed that area around the bridge is blocked off. Disneyland is being nice about settling with me.

newhdplayer
12-01-2005, 08:25 PM
I ate a bunch of churros (more than two) and got sick.

Maleficent's goon
12-01-2005, 09:05 PM
This time last year I took my mom on her first trip to Disneyland in almost 30 years. She was in a cam walker (or the "boot") because of an injury she had received at her job so I had her in a wheelchair. On the last day of an otherwise perfect trip we decided to go on the Jungle Cruise. As some of you may know you go thru the exit and board after the current boat unloads. Well..the loader cast member calls my mother over to get in. Unfortunately nobody bothered to tell the driver that they were loading somebody (nor did he bother to look) so as she puts her good foot in the boat the driver takes off dragging her bad foot at least a boat and a half length down the dock till he finally realized that everybody screaming at him to STOP was actually meant for him:mad: The only good thing was that the loader had a gorilla grip on her arm which kept her from falling one way or the other. No apologies or assistance from anybody working the ride by the way. We were all in such shock that we actually went thru with the ride AND stupidly didn't go and fill out an accident report (or whatever) though I did contact them by email once I got home that evening.
I'll just add this last part---it took 2.5 months of going back and forth with their legal department before we were scheduled a formal interview only to find out THAT DAY that our representitive got transferred to another department. We also came to find out that within that 2.5 months they never conducted any kind of inquiry with the cast members at the ride--you would think after Big Thunder that maybe they would want to know if something like this was true or not if nothing else to discount what I was saying(???) They continued to give us the runaround till we finally gave up:rolleyes: And NO I wasn't expecting some big payday either.

JookyG
12-01-2005, 09:05 PM
I get bruises and cuts as a part of my daily life, regardless of where I'm at. The tables in the training rooms at work bang my knees really bad. I get bruises on my legs from my bike or sometimes from tripping on the stairs. I twisted my ankle because the roots of the tree made the sidewalk push up and I was talking on my phone and not paying attention. Once the bus was really crowded and the driver didn't see me there and the door closed on my arm and I got a big bruise. The chair in the restaurant had a part that was loose and it caught on my shirt and tore a big hole in my shirt.

Sometimes I even get owies in Disneyland if I'm clumsy or slow or not paying attention where I should be!

ChicagoCarlessMike
12-01-2005, 09:23 PM
I twisted my ankle pretty bad last year on Main Street. If you pay attention, their curb actually starts to gradually appear out of the flat surface near the entrance. I was running with my 3-year-old to catch the final moments of the parade, for the snow, and twisted my ankle on the curb when it was about 3 inches high, before it got full size. Not very safe, if you ask me.

No offense meant, but if you were running across the park, don't you think it's kind of silly to blame the curb? The CMs tell you not to run for a reason.

seattlemouse
12-01-2005, 09:52 PM
The first time I went to DL I was 7, this was in 1974. I had my little sister with me (I have no idea where my mom was) and I tripped over the streetcar rails and hit my head pretty badly on the rail, then my little sister fell on top of me and I hit my head again. I vaguely recall going through the shops looking for my brother and mother and some CM trying to help me. Then I went to some kind of first aid station and then the emergency room that night, but next day it was back to Disneyland.

Can you believe I still love Disneyland after that.

Mickey Matt
12-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Over the years, I have visited the first aid station at DL for cutting my chin open tripping on a unlevel brick on Main St. I was taken off Tom Sawyer Island in a wheelchair 'cause I cut me knee on a rock. That was actually a bad one. The nurse wanted to call my parents and send me home but I wouldn't have that, so I walked around DL the rest of the day with a huge tear in my pant legs aroung the knee and dried blood covering them. I also had a welt on my head form one day when someone threw a nickel off the Skyway and it hit me square on. But what I think is the most dangerous thing to watch out for is careless parents pushing a stroller into your ankles. It seems to happen alot around Storybookland and the Teacups.

SandraVB79
12-01-2005, 11:48 PM
One year, after my thrombosis, I was still on medication, that made my blood thinner, and thus increased bruising.
After going twice on Space Mountain and Star Tours, I looked like I had been abused for days by someone... (Oh, this was at DLP, so Space Mountain has a harness and goes upside down)
All people who saw it felt sorry for me..; it was kind of embarassing.
Last time I went on Star Tours, I got sick because of the heat in the ride

For all the other things: well, I assume you have to look where you put your feet. There are rails in Main Street, there are curbs on Main Street, just watch your step. And if you miss your step, watch your language, there are children around! ;)

ChicagoCarlessMike
12-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Come to think of it, I suppose I did have an "injury" too. Back when the teacups actually spun (do they do that anymore?), I spun so maniacally that I raised a bloody welt on one of my hands. Although when the ride stopped, I was applauded. Unfortunately, the operator wasn't a CM who was giving free rides for the fastest spinner.

I'm a tea cup injury recidivist, too. When I used to live on the east coast, I threw my back out spinning the same way on the tea cup ride at Six Flags Great Adventure (in NJ). And I had passengers that time, too. They were not amused.

Vegitabeta
12-02-2005, 01:19 AM
I have been known on a few occasions to bang my head on the top of the Doom Buggy!

TowerofTerror
12-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Tom Sawyers Island in the cave. I`m 6 feet and I was in a cave in a tight area and stood up and banged the top of my forehead. I have a nice bruise from it .