PDA

View Full Version : Superstar Limo

Pages : [1] 2

Brown Monkey
03-20-2002, 08:49 PM
With sooo many different rumors flying around, does anyone know once and for all what the heck is going on with Superstar Limo?

Nigel2
03-20-2002, 09:24 PM
I would bet it is going to be the same as it was before, they might be repairing stuff. (Dreaming now )They might be improving the visual stuff. Possibly celebs that talk (besides Melissa Joan Heart)

Darkbeer
03-20-2002, 10:04 PM
It is interesting to note that many different people/cast members have stated that nothing is going on inside the building, and the fact that it is scheduled to re-open right at the start of Peak season.....

Tends to make me beleive...cost savings, plus the fact that the exit surveys come out better....

Nigel2
03-20-2002, 10:37 PM
Well odds are it is like CoP where basically it costs more to keep it open and running than it does to close it up since there isn't any money generated from either ride.

zapppop
03-25-2002, 08:22 AM
Last night several CM's said SuperStar Limo is no more.
It's closed for " rehab " just like the Rocket Rods with no intentions of re-opening the ride or changing it to Goofy's SuperStar Limo.

Hope you got to ride it.

Ghoulish Delight
03-25-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by zapppop

Hope you got to ride it. That's a horrible thing to say about the nice people on this board!! :p

Actually, I am glad (in a sick sort of way) that I got to see it....twice (at least there was no line the second time). Now I have first hand knowledge of how horrifyingly bad it was instead of having to rely on reports of others. And now I have the rest of my life to regail people with the tail of this terrible ride!

MonorailMan
03-25-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
Last night several CM's said SuperStar Limo is no more.
It's closed for " rehab " just like the Rocket Rods with no intentions of re-opening the ride or changing it to Goofy's SuperStar Limo.

Hope you got to ride it.
CRAP! And I never got to ride it. :(

I had to see how bad it really was. :(

Brown Monkey
03-25-2002, 10:09 AM
If this is the case, and SSL is really gone, then would anyone happen to know what would go in it's place? Maybe it's too early to tell...

Or what would you like to see go in it's place?

Ghoulish Delight
03-25-2002, 10:29 AM
Well, considering the speed with which they've replaced the huge dead space left by Rocket Rods, don't expect anything anytime soon. As for what I'd like to see, how about a GOOD dark ride. How about a "chase movie" theme where you're the stunt driver running from the cops, using the trackless technology from Tokyo Disney's Pooh ride! I'd like that.

disneyholic family
03-25-2002, 10:35 AM
was it REALLY that bad????
i'm sorry we didn't get to ride it...
(i like to be able to judge these things for myself..)

Ghoulish Delight
03-25-2002, 10:46 AM
Yes, it really was THAT bad. I don't even know where to begin describing it. It was truly insulting to Hollywood, as well as to the intelligence of anyone riding. To sum it up in a single element of the ride, the AA of Cindy Crawford in an outfit that literally made her look like a Hollywood hooker. No exageration. She looked like a hooker. Anyone who as ever been on the ride and noticed her will tell you that she looked like a hooker. Why in God's name they chose to put those close on that AA will forever escape me.

The only entertaining part of the ride is to look at the expressions on everyone's face in the picture they take of you (which, surprisingly, was NOT for sale). Nothing but blank, bewlidered stares.

zapppop
03-25-2002, 11:05 AM
It was BAD !

So bad that when you got off you were either laughing because it's so terrible that it could only be taken as a joke or you're kinda bewildered as to what heck was that ?

They'll probably replace it with something new within the next 2 years but I haven't got a clue what the replacement will be. Hopefully, a better dark ride.

by the way, Cindy Crawford wasn't the only one who looked terrible.
Whoopi Goldberg's face resembled that of MR. ED's !

Not Afraid
03-25-2002, 11:09 AM
The thing I disliked most was the feeling and embarassment and pity I felt for the CMs working the ride. They were supposed to "frame" with ride with the story and it was just awful! I really admired those CMs who were able to pull it off.

mad4mky
03-25-2002, 11:58 AM
It WAS that BAD!

Terrible, terrible ride. If I would have had to wait more than 30 seconds to get on...I would have been mad. It was a waste of my time as it was, just sitting on it going through it. Words cannot express how tacky and stupid the ride was.

But...My kids liked it...but they're kids. My youngest was disappointed when it closed. But...she's a kid.

Believe me...thank your lucky stars that you didn't torture yourself on this ride if you didn't get to see it!

bluepearl
03-25-2002, 12:16 PM
I'm starting to feel like I'm part of the minority in regards to SSL. :p

I don't think it was a fantastic ride, but it did kill a few empty minutes. I also find its ridiculousness slightly humorous. Definitely not a ride I rave about, but I do tell friends that if they want a laugh - or a break from walking - get on the ride (unless there's a line, then avoid it altogether because it's not worth it).

Ghoulish Delight
03-25-2002, 12:29 PM
But it's not supposed to be for a laugh. What the ride was intended to do, supposedly, was give tourists a taste of the glitz and glamour of Hollywood! It was supposed to be entertaining, but not an insulting characature of Hollywood. Remember, all the stars portrayed in there are in one way or another owned by Disney, so they want you to think of them positively. And that's what was so insulting. What they portrayed as the the positive, attractive things about Hollywood, was everything that is shallow, sleazy, and disgusting about it, from shady agents, to stars dressed as tramps, to jokes about plastic surgery.

Of course, I may just be carrying the permanent emotional scars of having to stand in line for an hour for that garbage. It was a preview day, I had not heard anything about the ride. And, of course, we wanted to try everything. So we stood in line, in the sun (I guess they are waiting for trees to grow in over the outside portion of the line because there wasn't a lick of shade), listening to the stupid stupid stupid voice over jokes (that were on a very short loop) over and over and over. Only to be subjected, in the end, to that ride.

MammaSilva
03-25-2002, 12:37 PM
I can say in all honesty that we have had MORE fun on the tram rides from the parking lot than was to be had on SSL......even my daughter hated it, it was really an insult to the whole idea of Hollywood, I felt so bad for the CM's at the unload area because people were rude about how bad the ride really was. But like a lot of other people we rode it so we could judge for ourselves and it went on the "we hated it" list once was enough. If you need some place to cool off and spend a few minutes resting go watch the muppet show or stroll thru the animation building if Blast isn't available.

Iceman
03-25-2002, 04:14 PM
I'm definitely in the minority of MousePlanet posters because...

I LIKED IT.

Yes, you read that correctly. Actually, my wife did too. We rode it twice. By choice! I thought it was cute, had just the right amount of tongue-in-cheek humor, and addressed the stereotypical Hollywood that people think of.

What really shocks me (and would tick me off, I guess, if I had been an Imagineer who worked on DCA) is that so many people complain, "DCA is just a bunch of off-the-shelf rides, blah, blah, blah." Then they complain about one of the few ORIGINAL concepts, "It sucked. It was so bad. Blah blah blah."

And why on earth would ANYONE think that Cindy Crawford dressed like a hooker is a BAD thing? :D

zapppop
03-25-2002, 04:42 PM
Just because it was an original concept doesn't mean it was any good.

Uncle Dick
03-25-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
But it's not supposed to be for a laugh. What the ride was intended to do, supposedly, was give tourists a taste of the glitz and glamour of Hollywood!
No, I think it was supposed to be a big, funny send up of Hollywood. The original concept may have been "a taste of glamour", but the final product was clearly intended to be humorous. Unfortunately, I found it humorous for reasons other than those intended.

I'm with bluepearl on this one. SSL was a great way to blow off a few minutes in a a colorful and completely stupid environment. Everytime I hear the big dumb announcers voice ("Look it's Antonio Banderas and Melanie Griffith"), I can't help but start laughing. It's all so bad.

I give SSL one thumb up for trying. I can think of numerous attractions in both parks that are worse than poor ol' SSL. That isn't to say I "like" the attraction but I certainly don't "dislike" it.

Originally posted by mammasilva
I can say in all honesty that we have had MORE fun on the tram rides from the parking lot than was to be had on SSL
Why thank you! :) I do try to keep the spiel interesting, both for the guests and myself.

If you need some place to cool off and spend a few minutes resting go watch the muppet show or stroll thru the animation building if Blast isn't available.
I do have a lot of time to kill at DCA waiting for BLAST! (as often as I see it ;)) and I usually spend most of that time in the Animation building. Even the nifty animation loop wears a little thin sometimes and it's nice to be able to mix it up every now and then with a change of scenery. The loss of SSL just makes the wait a little more repetitive.

Nigel2
03-25-2002, 09:34 PM
I too liked it, I always felt bad for the CMs. Not out of the fact that they basically stood arround chatting with each other but because of the whole "Superstar" thing they would have to do (and they looked like purple bellhops:D) To me the ride was like going into one of those cheasy postcards of various scenes in LA and then the comical celebs as well. It will be sad it what the CMs say is true (they have been wrong in the past) but If they are I hope they sell some of the ride.:D

CaliforniaCrazy
03-26-2002, 08:38 PM
One of the cast members I talked to a few days ago said that they are just testing the Winnie the Pooh vehicles on the Superstar Limo track, and she assured me that Limo will reopen on July 1st.

Uncle Dick
03-26-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by CaliforniaCrazy
One of the cast members I talked to a few days ago said that they are just testing the Winnie the Pooh vehicles on the Superstar Limo track, and she assured me that Limo will reopen on July 1st.
Yet another reason why Pooh should have replaced SSL instead of the Country Bears... :mad:

Nigel2
03-26-2002, 09:31 PM
Well that is good to know the CMs were wrong on this.:D

DisneylandKid
03-27-2002, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by bluepearl
I'm starting to feel like I'm part of the minority in regards to SSL. :p

I don't think it was a fantastic ride, but it did kill a few empty minutes. I also find its ridiculousness slightly humorous. Definitely not a ride I rave about, but I do tell friends that if they want a laugh - or a break from walking - get on the ride (unless there's a line, then avoid it altogether because it's not worth it).
Yes... actually, SSL was one of my top 5 favorites in DCA. It had so many things in there to look at. Everytime I rode it, I saw something new.

was it REALLY that bad????

No, it wasn't.