PDA

View Full Version : Best Western park Place Inn Vs. Candy Cane Inn?

keschy
11-30-2005, 11:30 AM
I have narrowed it down to these 2 hotels for our upcoming stay in February. I have read the reviews for both but thought I'd ask here too. Which one do you like? I have heard that the candy cane Inn is a little further away-is it a long walk? We like to take a nap during the day so a convenient hotel would be great. Also, is the breakfast at Candy cane as great as it sounds? ANy input about either place appreciated!

hlbtimes2
11-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Trip advisor.com has the candy cane as the #2 hotel in the area. I'm guessing there is a reason behind that! I'll be staying there for the first time in May. I think I've only read one negative review about it, so I'm guessing it will be a nice stay. They do have their own shuttle, so if its to far to walk you can always take that.

DianeM
11-30-2005, 12:22 PM
I've never stayed at the Candy Cane, although I've heard good things about it. But the Best Western is my favorite place to stay. It's not fancy, although it is clean, quiet, comfortable and nicely decorated, but you can't beat it for "close to the park". At the end of a long day at DL (or in the middle), I love being able to simply cross the cross walk and then walk to my hotel room. No shuttles, no extra blocks. If closeness to the park is your primary concern, go for the Best Western.

I have narrowed it down to these 2 hotels for our upcoming stay in February.

mi_mous
11-30-2005, 12:47 PM
I have stayed at the Candy Cane Inn 3 times, and it has been GREAT!! I loved it! It isn't too far, and they do have a shuttle. The rooms are very nicely decorated, and I have had no problems staying there! I don't remember the breakfast though.
I would have stayed there our last trip up there, but we decided to go as cheap as possible.
Hope that helps.

ghoofie
11-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Candy Cane is THEEEEE BEST.

donaldquackers
11-30-2005, 08:33 PM
We stayed at both places in 2001. Candy cane can seem like a bit of a long walk. The breakfast is the best I've seen anywhere. PPI is closer, but I don't remember if they even had a breakfast. Both places were clean and met our needs. CC offers a shuttle service but we chose to walk rather than wait. This past summer we stayed at the Casle Inn, which is across the street from the Candy Cane. I noticed that when we stayed at PPI we came and went from the park a few times each day as we felt like. When staying at Candy Cane or Castle we went back to the hotel only once each afternoon. We planned more when to go back to the hotel and when to go back to the park. One night I was delayed going with the group and made the walk back olone. Although I felt very safe it wasn't much fun walking that far alone.

Scroll Lock
12-01-2005, 10:33 AM
My family of 4 has not yet stayed at the Best Western, but we may try it in the future. We have stayed at the Candy Cane half a dozen times and find it very nice. The staff is wonderful, the rooms are nice and clean and there is a great shuttle that even works great with our double-barrelled stroller.

The breakfast is really nice with plenty of: bagels, fruits, cereals, milk, oj, coffee, donuts, muffins, hot chocolate, etc to choose from. They have nice tables in the "food" area, or you can eat out by the pool, or even just send Dad out, Me, to go fetch all the items and bring back to the room for consumption while the wife works on putting on her makeup or blowdrying her hair.:D

I believe the shuttle runs every 30 minutes from the East entrance of the park.

Mommy2NicknMax
12-01-2005, 11:00 AM
PPI is closer, but I don't remember if they even had a breakfast
They do. It's in the upstairs of the restaurant next door (Captain Kidd's?). It's the usual continental breakfast. Nothing special. The hotel itself is nice. I've stayed there a few times now and the short walk to the parks can't be beat.

kirstie_29
12-01-2005, 11:29 AM
I have stayed at both hotels, and Candy Cane Inn is the best by far. Nothing wrong with PPI, after all it is right across the street, but CCI is always clean, the staff is terrific and they have the best free breakfast selection I have seen. We stay there everytime we go to Disneyland unless they are booked.

The old man
12-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Please see my review of PPI in the hotel review section. I think I overrated it at 2 1/2 stars (AAA rating system), BUT I already have my reservation there for the end of April.

David

PirateSmile
12-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Candy Cane if you like the rooms to be cute. Best Western PP if you like short distances.

keschy
12-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!

tod
12-06-2005, 09:08 AM
We went to the Candy Cane once when the Park Place screwed up our reservation and gave us a room that was too small for the 24-plus-foot length of tod Family that had to sleep there.

We called the front desk and asked if they could give us a suite like we had made a reservation for. "No, sorry, we're all sold out, sorry."

I politely thanked them and -- thanks to the recommendations of this board -- caled the Candy Cane. They said yep, they had a room that would sleep 24 feet of people, no problem, come on by.

As we started repacking, the phone rang. Just by coincidence they had a suite open up, and did we want it. I said we'd call them back. We conferred for a moment, and then went back to packing.

The Candy Cane is warm, friendly and inviting. The room we had was a pleasant peach color. The building is just nicer, surrounding a parking lot. The extra time in the walk to Disneyland is more than compensated the two convenience stores next door. There is also a shuttle if the walk is not for you.

We'll be back.

--t

buzzzz
12-06-2005, 10:02 AM
I have reservations for Candy Cane in Feb. I'm not sure exactly where it is (but I have a general idea of its location). I've stayed at HoJo several times and consider the walk from/to the park to be reasonable. Can anyone tell me how much of a walk Candy Cane is from the park entrance, relative to HoJo?

Thanks much!
Buzzzzz

hlbtimes2
12-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Going by Alex's info in this thread, its 97 feet further to the Candy Cane Inn. http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=46907&highlight=farthest

Plus, they have a free private shuttle if you dont feel like walking.

tinker3
12-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Just a quick thing to remember about the Candy Cane Inn, it's on the same side of the road as Disneyland. I found it to be a nice little walk, especially with little ones and not having to cross any major streets.

Warrenbob
12-06-2005, 06:18 PM
The candy Cane Inn is the best! I have stayed there 4 time and I have never had a complaint. If we don't feel like waiting for the shuttle the walk is not bad. I had a friend stay at the Best western Park Place in August while we stayed at the Candy Cane Inn. Big difference in quality if you ask me. The Free breakfast at the Candy Cane Inn is real good too. But if you are just looking for a place to sleep the Best Western might be the place for you. Just my two cents.

vwhite5974
12-06-2005, 09:05 PM
My brother and his wife stayed at the Candy Cane when we went a few years ago. Their room seemed small but was really nice and they loved it. We were all jealous of their short walk. We had to take a shuttle to our hotel and the bus was always packed, had no seats left usually, and was full of stinky, sweaty, tired, and hot Disney guests.

sixwoofys
12-08-2005, 03:48 AM
Stay as close to the park as possible. Especially if you have kids. We have stayed at all these motels over the past 15 years. The closer the motel the better. I've seen some cute rooms of course -- wow, neat-"o". Who cares. (Except for the Tropicana which has those stupid light fixtures directly above the bed, not bad if you don't mind banging your head every time you sit up!) OUCH! Whose idea was that? Cleanliness is very important to us and most of the motels are clean. Except the first floor of the Castle Inn. Walk around your room for 2 minutes and the bottom of your feet are black. Yuck! If you go in the summer make sure the air conditioner works (unlike the Radisson's) whose air conditioners "freeze up" at 2 AM or so. No one can sleep of couse, the kids are whining and cranky. If you call for help they tell you maintainence is not on duty and all they can do is move you to another room... yeah right. By the time we would be finished "moving" it would be time to wake up. Ruined our ENTIRE day at Disneyland.

If you stay at the Carosel do not go to the breakfast even 5 minutes early because the attendant will yell at you (in a not nice way) and tell you to come back at 7:00 when they are open. We were only 5 minutes early! I just kept knocking on the door every minute for the next 5 minutes. You should've seen the mean guys face when he finally opened the door. It was funny!

The beds at the Penny Sleeper are lumpy. No worse. Hard to explain - BAD. Don't do it, it is not worth the little bit of money you save. No sleep at all.

All these motels offer basically the same "breakfast", If that is what you want to call it. Great if you want to fill up on mud (so called coffee), sugar and starch. We don't eat any of this "open air" kind of food, it's just plain gross, kids pick their noses and then for some reason they feel they've gotta touch every muffin they can (seen it). Then someone in line with a cold sneezes all over everything else (seen it). (Ever had everyone in your group get food sickness while on a trip?) Not fun. Bring your own food and get a fridge in your room. Bring your own coffee too if you want a good cup.

We stayed at the Park Inn on our last trip and it was wonderful. Great service, nice rooms. Somebody complained the pool was salty. I told him that I don't think you are suppose to drink the water. He failed to see the humor. It is close enough. Oh and by the way: SHUTTLES SUCK. Especially that Trolley thing that NOW you have to pay for. What a crock. It's really great when you wait for 1/2 hour and it's so full you have to wait for the next one. We don't like to depend on anyone else for our schedule. We leave when we want to leave and go when we want to go. It's the best way.

One thing I like about the Candy Cane is that it is on the same side of Harbor as Disneyland. Very, very nice if you do walk. BIG plus for us. Also it is a very pretty walk with the landscaping and all. You really get the "resort" feeling with that. It's also not "that" far. Not like the Radisson at least.

Good luck and have fun!

asharpcook
12-09-2005, 12:44 AM
We stayed at the Tropicana over Thanksgiving...they have recently remodelled and no longer have the light fixtures at the head of the beds....it was very clean and staff was nice...breakfast wasn't much..It is a good place if all you want is a place to crash. They do have mini fridges and microwaves in the room.
We are looking at the CCI for our next trip this spring...depends on finances!
AS