PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Grand Californian Hotel Question

LilysMom2003
11-29-2005, 01:02 PM
I originally piggybacked my question on one about DLH but wanted to ask a few more here. We're spending one night at the GC this Friday.

We purchased our APs after we booked the hotel room. When we check in, will I get a discount or will we not receive a discount since we weren't passholders at the time the reservation was made? Also, my mom is paying and she's NOT a passholder...does that matter?

We have reserved a room with 2 queen beds for my parents, myself and my DH. We'll also have my DD...young...toddler. I was wondering if we could get a roll away or if the rooms have a sofa. When I called, the girl was pretty rude and said that it was going to be a tight squeeze with 3! Is that true? Staying at the GC is a treat and there's no way we could afford 2 rooms!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

pisces
11-29-2005, 01:31 PM
I originally piggybacked my question on one about DLH but wanted to ask a few more here. We're spending one night at the GC this Friday.

We purchased our APs after we booked the hotel room. When we check in, will I get a discount or will we not receive a discount since we weren't passholders at the time the reservation was made? Also, my mom is paying and she's NOT a passholder...does that matter?

We have reserved a room with 2 queen beds for my parents, myself and my DH. We'll also have my DD...young...toddler. I was wondering if we could get a roll away or if the rooms have a sofa. When I called, the girl was pretty rude and said that it was going to be a tight squeeze with 3! Is that true? Staying at the GC is a treat and there's no way we could afford 2 rooms!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

The rooms aren't that small when you take into account the balcony.

I think 3 people would be cozy. 4 would be a tight squeeze, and 5 people would be tearing-my-hair-out time.

GC isn't known for their discounts, and considering the number of people in your group.......you'd better plan on them charging you as much as they can get; yet anything you did manage to get from them would be gravy.

They have no mercy when it comes to bargains; so, if you are looking for ways to get good deals, GC might not be the place for you. You are just a guest to them. They are a high priced hotel that can choose to do what they want. It's not like Park admission, where you pay for admission and can reasonably expect this and that. GCH is run pretty much independantly of the Parks, and they do what, and honor whatever they want, or don't want, to.

And, if it's just one night....in your life.... I don't know that I would go through all that for just one night....that you might not even be in the room!

stan4d_steph
11-29-2005, 01:50 PM
There is no sofa in a standard 2 queen room at GCH. There is also no room for a rollaway bed. Is your toddler still young enough to sleep in a porta-crib? You might be able to fit one of those.

If you are using an AP to get a discount, the person holding the AP needs to pay. This practice is pretty standard across the resort, although some CMs may let it slide. Perhaps your mother could just give you the money to pay for the hotel room? It won't matter that you didn't have an AP at the time of the reservation, as long as you present your card at check-in.

Darkbeer
11-29-2005, 01:54 PM
AP rates have to be BOOKED in advance, and are based on availibilty.

You could call the hotel, and see if they have any rooms available at the AP rate, book it, then cancel the original reservation. You will not get one just by showing your AP at the Front Desk.

As for having an AP, you do not need one when you book the room, but you do need one (or the AP Voucher) when you check in.

The Grand has NO Roll-aways, they offer sleeping bags instead.

going2disneyAZ
11-29-2005, 03:06 PM
There is a crib (pack and play) in the room for the toddler if he would fit...

SeansMom
11-29-2005, 03:19 PM
To address the size of the room: 353 square feet. Measure your own bedroom and/or living room, and you'll get a good visual. We had one queen bed and bunk beds in our room, and wouldn't say there was much wiggle room. The bathroom has double sinks outside the toilet/shower area, so somebody can be using both areas.
However...and this is just my opinion, if the idea of staying there was to stay in a really nice hotel, forget it. It is NOT a four star hotel, even though it is portrayed as such, IMO. It is nice, and it is very convenient, but I have my doubts as to whether or not we'd stay again. In comparison, the Sheraton has HUGE rooms with plenty of room for five, and you can get a suite at several other properties for the same price or less than you'd pay at GCH. I'm not trying to be negative...but the public spaces of GCH are nicer, I believe, than the rooms...and you can experience those for free!
Whatever you do, have a great time!

tinksmom
11-29-2005, 04:15 PM
In all honesty, you might want to see if you can get a room at another close-by hotel.

I love the GCH, but to really enjoy your stay, I think you need to stay at least two or three nights. With a check in that will be after 3 and an 11 am check out the next morning, you are not going to get to take advantage of all the things that make the hotel so enjoyable.

cakimmy
11-30-2005, 12:44 PM
We stayed there one night and it was fine. And just so you know we had two queen beds (balcony view of downtown disney) and we were fine. It was my mom, myself, grandma, aunt and my 3 yr old dd and then 4 month old. The 3 yo slept in the bed with my mom and I, we put the free pack n play (it was in the closet) in between the two beds and then my grandma and aunt were in the other bed. HTH

LilysMom2003
11-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks everyone! cakimmy - sounds like your situation is similar to ours. DH and I will sleep in one of the queens, my mom and dad in the other and our DD will probably sleep in a pack-n-play. My brother "might" join us and he's just fine sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag. :) I'm not going to worry about it. Honestly, we'll be at the park ALL day Friday returning around midnight and we have breakfast reservations at 7am the next morning and will spend Saturday in the park as well. So, we'll probably only be sleeping in the room...and for a short time at that! Thanks again everyone.

wwithers
11-30-2005, 03:25 PM
You don't necessarily have to make a new reservation. I have had rates applied to an existing reservation (if that rate isn't sold out) Also, the AAA rate is the same as the AP rate, so if they are out of the AP rate, you might ask if the AAA is still available (and vice versa). This, of course only works if you are a AAA member.

sierranevada
11-30-2005, 04:25 PM
You don't necessarily have to make a new reservation. I have had rates applied to an existing reservation (if that rate isn't sold out) Also, the AAA rate is the same as the AP rate, so if they are out of the AP rate, you might ask if the AAA is still available (and vice versa). This, of course only works if you are a AAA member.

That is true. I have had a reservation at a DLR hotel and got the AP Night rate applied when it came out. I should point out that we are talking about two different AP discounts. The first is the standard AP discound of 10% off which is, as you stated, the same as the AAA discount. That rate usually does not run out of availability. The second rate is the special "AP Nights" Rate that are usually annouced about 30 -45 days prior and do have limited availability and can sell out quickly.

wwithers
12-01-2005, 05:42 AM
The first is the standard AP discound of 10% off which is, as you stated, the same as the AAA discount. That rate usually does not run out of availability. The second rate is the special "AP Nights" Rate that are usually annouced about 30 -45 days prior and do have limited availability and can sell out quickly.

Yes. I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. The AAA/AP rate does sell out though when occupancy is high (I learned this planning our trip next week-- I thought the AP/AAA rate was just an automatic discount if you asked for it.)

Thanks for the clarification, sierra. :)