PDA

View Full Version : Monorails to run one-way from January thru Labor Day, 2006

Darkbeer
11-29-2005, 10:56 AM
In today's Al Lutz update, he shared this info...

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al112905c.htm

Speaking of the Monorail, plans have firmed up for its eventual closure during the final phases of the Submarine construction project. The plan now is for the Monorail to begin one-way trips in January as they will be forced to cut out the section of the route that passes over the submarine lagoon. The one way trips, similar to the operation they had during DCA's construction, will continue through most of 2006. But in September the Monorail will finally close entirely as the station is rebuilt for the new fleet of trains and the new Finding Nemo ride below. The Monorail will then reopen with the Finding Nemo ride in May, 2007.

Looks like the Hotel Management got a partial victory, but...

One-way is more problematic, and usually takes longer. If they use two trains, one train has to overshoot the station to allow the other one in, which delays the load/unload procedure. Also, last time they ran the Monorails as a one-way system (during the construction of DCA) the Monorails broke down more often.

Wendi
11-29-2005, 12:23 PM
In today's Al Lutz update, he shared this info...

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al112905c.htm

Looks like the Hotel Management got a partial victory, but...

One-way is more problematic, and usually takes longer. If they use two trains, one train has to overshoot the station to allow the other one in, which delays the load/unload procedure. Also, last time they ran the Monorails as a one-way system (during the construction of DCA) the Monorails broke down more often.

Interesting... thanks for the update, Darkbeer! We are staying at the DLH in January, so the monorail may come in handy... I wouldn't cry if it was down, but it is nice, and my 4-year-old LOVES it!

Terri
11-29-2005, 12:26 PM
one-way? isn't that how they've always traveled on the loop? I guess I ate a bowl of stupid this morning but I don't get it.
Do they travel from DTD to tomorrowland, then go backwards back to the hotel to pick up more guests? I'm just a little confused...:confused:

hlbtimes2
11-29-2005, 12:34 PM
one-way? isn't that how they've always traveled on the loop? I guess I ate a bowl of stupid this morning but I don't get it.
Do they travel from DTD to tomorrowland, then go backwards back to the hotel to pick up more guests? I'm just a little confused...:confused:

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Someone please help us.:confused:

MermaidHair
11-29-2005, 12:36 PM
This is great news for our family as I was expecting it to be closed when we are there in March! Thanks for the heads-up

Question: So if it is one-way travel only where does it go from/to? I assume it is from Downtown Disney to the park but what do I know, I don't think I have ever ridden the Monorail! My 2 year old son loves everything trains so I am looking forward to trying it out.:)

Arnie
11-29-2005, 12:59 PM
The monorail runs on a loop from DTD Station to tomorrowland, the method AL describes is a shuttle method where there is no loop involved just a length of track with two ends that do not connect.

Think of it as riding the railroad from Main Street to New Orleans, then From New Orleans back to Main street. You don't make the loop through Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

Terri
11-29-2005, 01:01 PM
got it!:p

Darkbeer
11-29-2005, 01:22 PM
OK, let's describe the current situation.

Leg 1 is from Tomorrowland Station, to Downtown Disney, going thru DCA.

Leg 2 is from Downtown Disney to Tomorrowland, going over the Disneyland Main Entrance area, and then to the Sub Lagoon and Autopia area, then around the Matterhorn to the station.

What will happen is that the area above the Sub Lagoon will not be able to be accessed, due to the construction (for safety reason).

What will happen in January is that Leg 2 will not be used.

Here is how the two train operation will work.

The first train will come out of the Barn (next to it's a small world) and go around the Matterhorn to the Tomorrowland Station. Then the Second Train will also exit the barn, and then park just before the Monorail.

They can load the first train (let's call it Red) at the Station, and then send it to the Downtown Disney Station, where it would unload, and then go forward to about the edge of Disneyland (shortly past the station).

At the same time, the Second Train (call it Blue) would enter the Tomorrowland Station for loading. After it was loaded, it would be dispatched to go thru DCA. If Red had not yet left the Tomorrowland station, then it would wait for Red to go forward by stoping near the entry into the Grand Californian Hotel. Once Red has left the station (empty), then Blue would pull into the DtD Station to unload.

Then Blue would be loaded, then dispatched to run backwards (a CM will be sitting in the tail cone, which has a phone to the cockpit to be the drivers "eyes") back thru DCA to the Tomorrowland Station where it would unload.

When Blue has left the DtD station, Red would pull back into the DtD station from the advance area where it parked, to allow Blue to access the station. It would Load passengers and then be dispatched to run backwards thru DCA, and would hold at the edge of Harbor until Blue has pulled forward to the Matterhorn area and cleared the station.

Red would then enter the Tomorrowland station and unload, then load and the process would repeat for the rest of the day.

If one train goes down due to mechanical/safety issues, then we would have a wait and a procedure.

Let's say Red goes down, and needs a tow somewhere near the DtD station. Blue would have to return to Tomorrowland Station (backwards), unload, then continue backwards past the Matterhorn and the Barn (switch track) and head to an area basically near the Tomorrowland RR station.

Then the Tractor would be pulled out of the barn, brought onto the track, sent to Red, where it would be attached to the Monorail. Then it would bring Red back to Tomorrowland Station for unloading, then to the barn for repairs. Once it is in the Barn, then Blue could go forward to the Tomorrowland Station.

One train operation would be easier. The Train would go to Tomorrowland for loading, sent thru DCA to the Dtd Station, where everyone would have to get off the Monorail (if the guests wanted to return without leaving the park, they would just go down the stairs and make a U-turn to the queue before exiting the turnstiles and get back in line). Then the Train would load and go backwards thru DCA to Tomorrowland, where the process would repeat.

Requiring all guests to exit at the DtD station will allow those folks entering the park from the DtD Turnstiles not to have to wait a long time to get onto the Monorail.

So basically the portion over the Sub Lagoon and the Autopia would not be used

Terri
11-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Then I really didn't eat a bowl of Stupid! This is how I imagined it (when I actually thought about it) I just didn't have the second train working. Okay...really have it now...kinda wish I could experience it now. It would be almost like old times going that direction on the track. (okay way way old times...)