PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Trip Report

going2disneyAZ
11-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Cast: Me, DW (H), her sister (A) and husband (M) their 1 year old DD (S) and our 2.5 year old (MF) and 8 month old (MS) DS's.

Our family drove, A, M and S flew over.

Day 1 11.24 We got up at 4am and loaded the final things in the car. Grabbed MS and MF out of bed and into the car seats. MS never woke up and MF was wide awake and when he saw the DVD player I installed in the car for trip immediately demanded "Buzz". So with Toy Story playing we hit the highway.

After a 30 minute breakfast stop halfway through we arrived at the GCH at 11:00AM. Check in was a breeze but our rooms were not ready. They gave us our keys and a telephone number to call and check periodically to see if our room was ready.

We headed out to DTD to start our vacation. First stip was the Lego store. MF love that and we had to pry him away from the play tables. Then we headed over to the DLH to check that out. We did some shopping there and MF wanted a Stitch hat, DW wanted him to have a Mickey hat. Soooo, after a long debate with mom, MF got a Stich hat.

We were getting hungry so we decided to head over to ESPNZone for some lunch and a little Thanksgiving Day football fix. The place was nearly empty but filled up as we sat there. About halfway through our lunch A and M called said they just checked in and would meet us.

After eating we called the hotel to see if our rooms were ready and they were. They gave us our room numbers and we headed up. On the way we noticed Santa was posing for photos so we noted the times and headed up to our rooms.

We had a great surprise. I booked a standard view room but we got a park view! Room 2216. We had a clear shot of Grizzly Mountain and TOT and if you leaned over a bit and look right a great view of PP. The only downside was the view of some construction vehicles below us but the park view made up for it and MF thought the trucks down there was the best part of the room. He loves trucks.

After a rest, shower and change we headed downstairs for a photo with Santa before heading to Catal for our Thanksgiving Dinner reservation. MF did not dig Santa so DW and I had to hold the kids for the photo. The photos did not come out too well so we did not purchase.

Catal. Good food, relaxed atmosphere. Will write a review later.

After dinner off to bed.

Day 2 11.25 Had 8:30AM priority seating at Storytellers. We headed down at about 8:10AM and were seated right at 8:30AM. We saw Dale, Meeko, Terk, Koda. As has been stated in many prviour posts the food was great, character interaction OK.

After breakfast we headed into DCA through the hotel entrance at about 9:45AM. No wait for security or to get in. M and I rode soarin' while the wives waited with the kids. We walked right on but when we got off the wait was already 40 minutes so the wives decided to hold off (we forgot to ask for a stoller swap pass). We headed to Aerial's Grotto for the Disney Visa privat character meeting. It was Mickey! Got some photos taken and the wives wanted to ride Sceamin'. M and I took the kids on the carasol while we waited.

Headed to DL and got in at about 10:15AM. MF wanted to ride the "jets" (Astro Orbitor) so H took him. S needed to be fed so A and M fed her. I took MS with me to get fastpasses for all. Straight over to Space. Long line (15 minutes or so) to get fastpasses. Then whole the CMs were telling us we may not get any. I got what I believe were the last two or close to it at about 10:40 or so. I couldn't use them as H and A had agreed to switch kids each night Friday and Saturday so us couples could go out solo. Friday was their night so I flipped the fastpasses to them.

We had AAA enhanced fastpass so Grabbed Buzz, Indy, Thunder, Splash, HMH and met the group back at the carasol in Fantasyland. H and A wanted to take the kids on that so I stayed with the sleeping MS and took photos. MF hated it so I had my wife hand him over the fence to me.

Everyone wanted to go on Small World. But wait the line is how long? 2.5 hours. Nah, maybe tomorrow. M and S and MF and I went on Casey Jr. Then we headed to Critter Country for Splash and Pooh. On the way we child swapped at BTMRR. We did Pooh but not splash as the kids were getting cranky and no one wanted to deal with them alone as others when on Splash. We rode Pooh like 4 times in a row becase MF could not get enough. After the first ride he actually tried to close the door on the car because he did not want to get off.

A, M, and S headed back to the hotel for a rest because it was their date nite. We stayed out because it would be an early night for us anyway. We did HMH and thought it was great. We were concerned MF would be scared but he was only breifly in the beginning. I talked to him a lot and tried to make light of the whole thing. He did great.

MS was sleeping so we headed to Banyon BBQ for a light dinner. By the time I got through the line MF was asleep too. I went on Indy while H watched the kids.

We decided to call it a day at this point and headed back to the hotel.

Day 3 11.26 After lobbying, begging, pleading I got my wife out of bead for EE. She absolutely did not want to do it. A, M and S did not make it to EE. We got to the gates at about 6:35AM and were within the first 10 guest there. Gates opend right at 7 and we were off. A quick photo in front of the 50th Mickey by the Main St. Station and off to BLAB, walked on, next Peter Pan, 5 minute wait, Small World Holiday, walk on, Alice, 5 minute wait. H had now thanked me about a dozen times for making her get out of bed, we had done soooo much in such a short period of time! By now it was 8AM so I headed to grab our fastpasses. Space, BLAB, Indy and met H by JC. Walked onto JC. Next POTC, walked on. A, M, and S called and said they were in the park and wanted to grab breakfast so we met them by the exit to POTC. A quick photo at the courtyard of angels. And off to Riverbelle. HUGE line. So we skipped. A wanted to get on Small World before the line backed up so we decided to postpone breakfast headed there. On the way I grabbed fastpasses for BTMRR. We got on Small World after about a 10 minute wait.

MF really wanted to go on a train so we headed to ToonTown Station. The gate was locked and no train for 15 minutes so we knew that was not going to happen. At this point no one could come to a consensus on what to do so our families split up. We decided to head out of the park as we had already had a long day and H was hungry and did not want to deal with the park crowds. We walked to DTD and H wanted to go to Rainforest. We had a nice relaxed lunch and headed out. MF still had not rode a train and reminded us when he screamed TRAIN outsid the monorail station at DTD. THe line was short so we left the stoller and got in line. Short line but few people got off each train so we had to wait for about 4 trains to get on. We got on and asked about the nose cone but it was full from guest getting on at Tomorrowland but we got to ride in the tail cone.

We got off at Tomorrowland and MF and H saw the cars at Autopia and wanted to try that. Then line was 70 minutes (I forgot to get fastpasses in the morning.....doggonit) so we decided to use our BLAB fastpasses. H wanted to rest before our date night so we headed back via DLRR Tomorrowland Station to Main St. Station and walked back to GCH. I grabbed the stroller at Rainforest and met them in the room.

I was not tired yet and MF was boucing off the walls so he and I went to DCA. I tried to get him to sit with the Surfer Santa but no way, he freeked out again. So I thanked Santa and we headed to Turtle Talk with Crush. It was a short line so we got in but we waited for about 45 minutes before they started the show. I guess they were waiting for a full theatre or something. Anyway we loved it and MF laughed and laughed. I had one minute by my watch to get to the Playhouse Disney show (the main reason we headed to DCA that afternoon). We ran but were told we were too late :(

So we went to look at our Mickey photos and purchased some of them. I wanted to see Bugs Life so we headed there. I sat near the door in case MF freaked out. He thought the 3D effects were cool. He did not like to opening with the spider that shoots its quills and jumped out of his seet and onto my lap. The rest of the show I talked to him and tried to make light of the whole thing. He was find much to my surprise.

It was close to the time for Block Party Bash so we waited on the curb. He enjoyed that and was thrilled to see Buzz on the Toy Story Float. Mr. Incrdible popped out right in front of us and he like that as well.

After the parade we headed back so I could get ready for date night with H.

H and I headed out at about 8am and had a quick drink at Hearthstone. Then off to DL. We need to get the kid's names on their golden ears so a quick stop at Mad Hatters.

Next to use fastpasses at Indy and check in for our Riverfront Reserved Seats for the 10:30 Fantasmic. We were given some bad info at Guest Relations and headed to the Gallery for check in. After about 15 minutes of waiting around because the cast member posted at the foot of the Gallery stairs told us someone would be right back I headed up the stairs, right past the CM. She said nothing. This gal was clueless. When a guest asked her where he could see it snow she gave him directions to Adventureland. Anyway the folks at the Gallery steered us in the right direction. We needed to go to a podium staged directly accross from the NOS train station. We checked and were told that we were the secong group to check in. GREAT, we'll get the best seats....wait....no....the first group is 27 people! Oh well, we still had fun and were surprised that they had set up a dessert buffet and not the dessert boxes as I have read about.

Great show that we were glad was not cancelled as the winds were picking up that had caused the fireworks to be cancelled.

After the show we headed toward Space with a quick detour at Star Tours, walked on. Fastpass at Space, I was not very impressed with the updates. We were going to head back to the GCH but decided we would hit BLAB one more time as the line was less then 5 minutes.

Day 4 11.27 Breakfast at Storyteller's, a little shopping at DTD and Pack 'em up and head 'em out!

We had a great trip even though Friday was CRAZY crowded.

Long Live Early Entry and Long Live AAA Enhanced Fastpass!

Thanks to all the wonderful people on this board, without who's help and tips I would not have been nearly prepared enough to enjoy our trip through the holiday crowds.

Hoping I can convince H we need to return in March for MS's first bday!

Mommy2NicknMax
11-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Great report! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! :)

Crazy4DL
11-29-2005, 12:53 PM
I enjoyed your report! thanks so much for sharing! :)

rentayenta
11-29-2005, 01:17 PM
What a great report. Very cool the you got upgraded at the GHC!

You are make EE sound well worth it! :~D

Crazy4DL
11-29-2005, 02:10 PM
You are make EE sound well worth it! :~D

Oh it is! boot that Whitney right out of her bed! :~D :p ;)