PDA

View Full Version : Tram Ride to the Top of Grizzly Peak?

justagrrl
03-20-2002, 03:40 PM
In this article, referred to in a different thread, it says:

"I can't believe any kid would be inspired to visit San
Francisco after seeing Disney's watered-down
imitation of Fisherman's Wharf. Or to hike up Half
Dome after experiencing Disney's tram ride to the
top of of its 40-foot- high Grizzly Peak. "

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/03/17/IN147298.DTL

Where is this "tram ride to the top of" Grizzly Peak?

Ace
03-20-2002, 03:43 PM
the funny thing is 3/4 of the people reading the article think that it's correct information.

Cadaverous Pallor
03-20-2002, 03:55 PM

Ghoulish Delight
03-20-2002, 03:57 PM
Yeah, couldn't figure that one out either. My best guess was that it's a bad attempt at saying that Grizzily River Run is as boring as a tram ride, since he had disparaged the ride earlier in the article.

innerSpaceman
03-20-2002, 04:00 PM
I think, however, that it's a good indication that the author of the article is not simply Al Lutz using a pen name, as has elsewhere been alleged. Either Al used the blunder as a very clever ploy to throw suspicious readers off the trail, or the author is just not entirely familiar with DCA. That said, however, though the author may have gotten that one detail wrong, I think he nailed what's wrong with California Adventure.

MickeyD
03-20-2002, 04:08 PM
Judging by one of his posts earlier in that thread, I think the guy who said it was Al using a pen name was being sarcastic.

I couldn't figure out what the author meant there either, I thought maybe he was refering to the view from the monorail?

Techie7
03-20-2002, 04:13 PM
I sent the author this e-mail. Thought you might all like to see it:

I writing in response to your article online from Sunday March 17,2002. There were some factual inaccuracies within it. Primarily I wonder if you have been to the new park when you write, "I can't believe any kid would be inspired to visit San Francisco after seeing Disney's watered-down imitation of Fisherman's Wharf. Or to hike up Half Dome after experiencing Disney's tram ride to the top of of its 40-foot- high Grizzly Peak." While I agree that the San Francisco wharf is smaller and the it should have been, there is no tram ride to the top of Grizzly Peak. Additionally you write, “The rapids of the Rushin' River are tame by comparison to the white water of any of the state's last wild rivers.” I assume you are referring to “Grizzly River Run.” Wolfgang Puck’s restaurant was not called “Seafood Cove” but actually “Avalon Cove.” These are a few of the inaccuracies within your article. I hope that in the future when you write about locations, that you verify that attractions you dislike (tram to top of grizzly peak) actually exist. I also hope that you check the guide map that is given out in the park to verify the correct names for attractions and restaurants.

HBTiggerFan
03-20-2002, 04:35 PM
Excellent Techie, If you get a reply please post it :)

Iceman
03-20-2002, 08:55 PM
I'll be very surprised if you get a response, or at least an intelligent one. So-called "reporters" like this are just like movie critics as far as I'm concerned--they only think they're doing their job if they are as sarcastic and negative as possible. They have no interest in educating or informing people, they just like the attention of stirring the pot.

80S ERA
03-21-2002, 06:53 AM
Not only is there no tram that goes to the top of grizzly peak, but also the Pacific Wharf is not themed to be Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. It is supposed to be the Wharf in Monterrey.

Then again, I wouldn't mind a "Palm Springs Aerial Tramway" ride to the top of Grizzly Peak.