PDA

View Full Version : Will a third park join Disneyland and DCA?

Bijah
11-28-2005, 06:14 PM
I understand that Disney owns 600 contiguous acres in Anaheim, 300 of which are occupied by Dineyland, DCA, Downtown Disney, and the hotels. Cast members we encountered on my family's 2005 visit were all breathless over rumors of a third park, whether a theme park, a Disney-MGM addition, or -- most likely, they say -- a water park. Any inside information on this? Sure would be exciting. Where would such a park go? North of the Disneyland Hotel? Thanks.

Darkbeer
11-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Currently Management is focused on increase capacity and attractions at Disneyland (Such as Funding Nemo), and trying to figure out a way to get DCA to be more self supporting.

I think you have a better chance of seeing Downtown Disney get an expansion before work starts on a Third Park.

The area most mentioned for Downtown Disney Expansion is the current parking lot north of the ESPN Zone and the Rainforest Cafe.

This would require more parking, more than likely by adding to the Parking Structure, either where Pinocchio is, or the employee lot north of Mickey and Friends.

Another option is to build a new parking structure in the lot on the south west corner next to Paradise Pier. But there is also a rumor of using that area for a Water Park.

Disney does own a small lot that they use for parking, called Pummba, east of Harbor on Disney Way. You could build a parking structure here, but the problem is providing tram service. Since the tram would have to go on public roads, you would have to use buses instead of trams, similar to the Cast Shuttles.

The biggest chunk of land that Disney owns is south of Katella, where their is currently a large CM parking lot, and then the old Strawberry Fields that is south of that lot, and has access onto Harbor (but there is a chunk of hotels and restaurants along Katella and Harbor that would prevent Disney from having easy access between the two areas.

This is one of the main reasons why the area has not been developed, as any solution to connect the properties comes with a high price tag. Adding a Monorail or Peoplemover is very expensive, and adding bus service isn't cheap either, especially since you have to use city streets for the vehicles, which will require Disney to pay a lot more in taxes and fees, along with additional requirements for those who will drive the buses.

Hopefully in 20 years or so we can see a major expansion down there, but I doubt that Disney will start any project south of Katella for a long time, and focus more on the current area.

Bijah
11-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Darkbeer. Couldn't Disney buy the properties that surround it, particularly the ones that block access between the current parks and the other stuff (like the strawberry fields) and talk Anaheim into closing the streets that are now public and just make new streets that cater to the configuration of a new park? Who cares about the pricetag -- maintaining the prominence of the Original is worth it.

Bijah
11-28-2005, 07:32 PM
More on Darkbeer's insights -- Is management trying to add land/space to Disneyland Park or to DCA?

kimi911
11-28-2005, 10:00 PM
A third park is something I hope to see someday. I know it sounds foolish to wish for a third park, when DCA gets bad reviews so often, but with my passion for this resort, I just *want* to see it. However, I respect the fact that it won't be soon.

From what I read online, it originally would have began construction in 2003, to be completed by 2010, but DCA lack of attendance put a halt on that. Overall, its probably good a third park is not being built right now. I want something that blows us away, not something that is going to be picked at constantly, and I don't want a water park either. Maybe with a little time, we can someday have a stunning third park at the DLR. I hope so.

Another Dimension
11-29-2005, 01:02 AM
Will a third park join Disneyland and DCA?

In 15-20 years, maybe.
But the 3rd park is on the extensive Disney back-burner at the very least for the next decade, or two.

lauramaynot
11-29-2005, 01:10 PM
In 15-20 years, maybe.
But the 3rd park is on the extensive Disney back-burner at the very least for the next decade, or two.

Maybe they will pull it out for the next "biggest celebration in disney history" - 75th or 100th :rolleyes: