PDA

View Full Version : Is $60 a day enough for DLR?

Pages : [1] 2

PinkFloyd
03-20-2002, 07:40 AM
My sister is taking me to DLR March 28 to April 1. She has paid for my hotel, admission and a breakfast as she went though the Disney travel co. I am on a tight budget and I was wondering if $60 a day will be enough for food? I don't need any souviners as I was there last month and bough what I wanted. This is how I have broke my $60 down:

$10 breakfast (I usually have coffee and muffin)
$20 Lunch
$10 Dinner
$10 Snack
$10 Misc.

We are planning to go to a few sit down resturants for lunch, so I have alloted more for lunch than dinner. My sister has been so genourous already and I want to make sure that I bring enough money, any help on budgeting or input would be greatly appreciated!

Ghoulish Delight
03-20-2002, 07:58 AM
$60 a day should be more than enough, which is good. Your coffee and muffin should only cost you about $5, and if your sitdown lunches are inside Disneyland (like at Riverbelle Terrace or Cafe Orleans), as opposed to at DTD, it'd probably be about $15. $10 for dinner sounds about right. So $60 sounds perfect. A little more than you should need on any one day, but that allows for some wiggle room. That way you can go moderate on day 1 and find a good lunch for like $10, then you can splurge the next day and hit the Blue Bayou or something. Mmmmm, prime riiiiib.

BTW, you do mean $60 just for you, right? Or are you planning on buying for your sister too? You can do a full day for $30 a piece, but not with sit down meals. Well, maybe a couple. Hmmm. Now that I think about it, you can probably get away with $30 a piece a day and be pretty okay.

PinkFloyd
03-20-2002, 08:21 AM
Ghoulish Delight, thank you for your quick response and input! Now I can stop stressing over money and relax. As much as I would like to treat my sister, she knows that I am in a financial bind right now, so the alotted $60 a day is for me (hopefully I'll have some left over to buy her a meal or some snacks!)

MammaSilva
03-20-2002, 08:28 AM
PinkFloyd, the entrees at the Pizza port are big enough for two to share at lunch....and their pastas are YUMMY....just a thoght!

Corndog Barbie
03-20-2002, 08:53 AM
The sitdown restaurants, Hooks Pointe, for sure, will split an entre for an additional $4 or so. Both get the 'sides' and then the meat or whatever is divided.

So both can have a nice dinner for about 10-12 bucks.

CB

80S ERA
03-20-2002, 10:47 AM
I have used a number of penny-pinching techniques when tough on dough. Here is a few to share:

- If you have no problem with tap water, DO NOT purchase a soft drink with your meal. That could potentially save you around $3 per meal. Simply ask for a cup for water. Most places have lemon wedges available. Another note: I tried tap water at Taste Pilot Grill and it tasted like Chlorine bleach. The same goes for White water snacks. Won't do that again.
- Combining breakfast / lunch into BRUNCH. Would not suggest if you are an early riser. Worked well when we ate at Goofy's Kitchen.
- Use AP or American Express discounts. Most sit-down and buffeteria places give 10%, and in some cases like Blue Bayou, 15%.
- Try to stop by a drug store or grocery before checking in. Purchase bottled water and snacks for the room. Buying anything in the hotel convenience stores could add up fast. For example, the same bottled water that is $.89 at the grocery would run you $4.00. Take bottles with you in the park -- the entrance gate usually does not have a problem with bottled water being brought in.
- If your hotel offers a refrigerator or microwave, make use of them. If you are staying multiple days, having a meal a day in your room could make a difference.
- Don't let the "combos" fool you. A typical Disneyland fast-food combo only includes a sandwich and fries -- NO DRINK. Some walk up to the Tomorrowland Terrace or McDonald's and see $5 for a combo. However, you need a drink to make a "true combo." That pushes the price to around $8.

Ghoulish Delight
03-20-2002, 11:13 AM
These are the what I believe to be the two best deals at the resort, foodwise:

1) Gumbo/Chowder in a bread bowl at Royal Street Veranda in NOS (behind the Gallery stairs). Good, hot meal that'll fill you up for hours, at a pretty good price.

2) The Classic Corndog at Corn Dog Castle in DCA, Paradise Pier. Biggest corndog I ever done seen! It's a footlong on a stick, and fat as a Ballpark frank to boot. It's a lot-a dog for your buck.

MammaSilva
03-20-2002, 12:20 PM
I don't know if they've 'caught on' yet but last time we were there I got the bread bowl of chowder, but asked for the chowder on the side.. I got a quite a bit more chowder doing it that and the bread bowl was yum.....

Ghoulish Delight
03-20-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
I don't know if they've 'caught on' yet but last time we were there I got the bread bowl of chowder, but asked for the chowder on the side.. I got a quite a bit more chowder doing it that and the bread bowl was yum.....

You know, I've heard people mention that before. It makes me wonder if the "extra" chowder is actually that amount that is absorbed by the bread when it's poured in.

MammaSilva
03-20-2002, 01:27 PM
you're probably right, but since I don't care for "wet bread" but love the sourdough bread, I just ask for it seperately and enjoy :)

Ghoulish Delight
03-20-2002, 01:30 PM
you're probably right, but since I don't care for "wet bread" but love the sourdough bread, I just ask for it seperately and enjoy :)
Awww.:( The "wet bread" is the best part. Actually, I think I'll start asking for it separately just so I can dip all of the bread in the chowder/gumbo. Usually, I eat all the liquid contents, then scrape the wet bread and eat that. Finally, I'm left with a hunk of bread that, by the time I finish eating it, causes my jaw to ache from all the chewing.;)

Cadaverous Pallor
03-20-2002, 03:13 PM
Here's another vote for tapwater and veggie gumbo in a bread bowl! Usually the tapwater isn't bad at all, since they give you a cup of ice, and cold water is always better. My minor tip - there isn't much steak in the steak gumbo - the veggie will fill you up just as nicely, and at about a buck less, I believe. I don't like chowder, so I can't vouch for that.

If you really, really need a sweet treat, split a fudge square between the two of you. They are so killer, it'll last you a while! No one can wolf down something THAT sweet. (And let me tell you, if there's anyone that could, it's me! ;) ) Fudge can be obtained on Main Street and in Fronteirland. Hmm, I don't know if they sell fudge at DCA.

My last suggestion is that when you pass a food ODV, such as popcorn, churros, or ice cream, AVERT YOUR EYES! :D Junk like that is so addicting - and so expensive!

Ace
03-20-2002, 03:53 PM
for Squinky, 60 bucks isn't enough. but yes, I have to vote for the bread bowl thing too... it's soooooo good, I get it every time.

blusilva
03-20-2002, 05:26 PM
What everyone else said.

I would add, if you don't mind spending your $20 on breakfast instead of lunch....go for the all you can eat buffet at the Plaza Inn and eat all you can. If I eat there in the morning, I'm not really HUNGRY again until dinner time. Plus it's a characterific experience.

tink360
03-20-2002, 10:35 PM
I'm with 80's ERA on stopping by a grocery store or convenience store to buy bottled water or snacks for the room. Snacks can really add up! If you want to really be careful of your budget (like me!) you can pack a few non-perishables and not get socked by the mini-mart prices around disneyland. A little jar of peanut butter & crackers or power bars can come in handy if you get the munchies at night.

EandCDad
03-21-2002, 05:20 AM
tink360 brings up a good point. bring the water bottles with you along with a few snacks. Buy those costco muffin packs and then you only have to buy the coffee in the morning. Some hotels even have coffee in the room (check to make sure it is free).

Unless you are a really, really, really big eater then $60 a day should be no problem at all even if you don't drink tap water.

tjrj
03-21-2002, 07:01 AM
All the above ideas are good ones. I want to 2nd the vote for the big all-you-can-yet breakfast at the Plaza Inn or the Storyteller's Cafe in the GC. I prefer the food at those buffets to that which we found at Goofy's Kitchen. It will fill you up well past lunch time and then if you stop for an early dinner, you probably will find that you've actually saved money even with the expensive breakfast. Also, White Water Snacks in the GC has refillable cups available for purchase-about $7 I think-then you can fill up for free. Not sure if PP or DL hotels do. Definitely carry in your water-much less expensive and even with the security checks we had no problem.

80S ERA
03-21-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by EandCDad
Buy those costco muffin packs and then you only have to buy the coffee in the morning.

The Costco muffins are "the bomb!" However, after having one (which contains about 60g of fat) I want to go back to sleep.:cool:

Cadaverous Pallor
03-21-2002, 07:54 PM
Ooh, tjrj just reminded me - the secret free refills! You can get free refills of mint julips at the French Market. They sell them in these sturdy plastic cups, so it's not a problem to throw your cup in your backpack and grab a refill hours later. I was with friends that did this, no problem. (Ironically, I myself don't care for mint julips, and the tip is useless for me.)

I think that ALL soda fountain drinks include free refill at places like the French Market, but no one knows this, and the cups you get aren't sturdy enough to hold onto all day. I don't know if this is a fact though, and even if it is, I'm willing to bet that you can only do it at certain places.

MonorailMan
03-21-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor

I think that ALL soda fountain drinks include free refill at places like the French Market, but no one knows this, and the cups you get aren't sturdy enough to hold onto all day. I don't know if this is a fact though, and even if it is, I'm willing to bet that you can only do it at certain places.

I'd like to know if this is true. If it is, 2.19 for a drink all day isn't that bad. ;)

funnygarcia
03-23-2002, 11:04 AM
How about eating outside the park?
I know there are a Denny's, McDonald's and IHOP close by..Anyone know of other close restaurants/fast food?

I am trying to get free or reduced gift certificates to the chain type places to save some $ (5 people - one of them a teen!!)

Also what other grocery stores/convenience stores are on Harbor (right across the street) ? Is it feasible to take a taxi to a grocery store (close by) to pick up some perishables and bottled water???

MammaSilva
03-23-2002, 11:09 AM
does anyone know if the Golden Horseshoe still sells the plastic mugs that are "free refills"? We bought them a couple trips ago and refilled them everytime we past by the GH....it saved tons of money and the mugs made great souvieners

Uncle Dick
03-23-2002, 12:03 PM
does anyone know if the Golden Horseshoe still sells the plastic mugs that are "free refills"? We bought them a couple trips ago and refilled them everytime we past by the GH....it saved tons of money and the mugs made great souvieners
I believe they still do, but if not you can always find the cups at Redd Rocket's or other similar establishments. I still bring mine that I bought over two years ago.

Morrigoon
03-23-2002, 09:06 PM
The $8 (or whatever they're up to now) souvenir cups? Those aren't free refills (at least Disney doesn't intend them to be, but then again "technically" they don't allow refills on anything)

I'd suggest you go to redd rockett's, get a side salad and a pasta and split those. The side salad is the "field of greens" one - basically mesclun mix with a raspberry vinagrette dressing - very YUM. Best pasta is Chicken Fusilli, but if you like more basic the spaghetti and meatballs is nice and garlicky :D

Ace
03-23-2002, 09:46 PM
what? mugs? FREE at a Disney park? I sense either a well-kept secret or some insanity....