PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Nights at DL? and WDWCP

Kontra
11-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Hello everyone, I'm not a very frequent poster on this forum but I do read the MousePlanet articles pretty much everyday. Anywho, I'm in this Jazz History class and I wanted to do a presentation on the Jazz nights that went on in the early years of Disneyland. I have the Disneyland USA DVD with the footage, but now I'm looking for more information on the performances. I remember reading an article in one of my Disney magazines about the Jazz nights but I can't figure out which issue that was. Does anyone know what Disney Magazine that story was a part of?

Also I just found out yesterday that I will be doing the Disney College Program at WDW for the Spring 06' semester. I have been casted in my first choice, operations. I am extremely excited! Any words of wisdom on the WDWCP would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Mike

potzbie
11-24-2005, 08:25 PM
I don't know anything about JAZZ NIGHTS.
But I can share a couple of things.

The first time I saw WOODY HERMAN AND HIS SWINGING HERD was at Disneyland at the Main Street PLAZA GARDENS STAGE (which used to be called something else back then, if I remember).
Wow! The sound was so big and so perfect!

Nowadays, every Saturday is a swing/boogie party with authentic big bands or authentic jump bands.

Who have I seen in the last couple of years play in the PLAZA GARDENS STAGE?

Swingtown
Jumpin' Joz Band
Doc Anello & the Swing Machine
Swing Kings
Wartime Radio Revue (Pete Jacobs)
Stompy Jones
Red and the Red Hots

That will at least complement your subject matter. -- Who is blowing jazz on Main Street Saturday night?

"Moppin' up soda pop rickeys
To our hearts delight.
Dancin' to swingeroo quickies
JUKEBOX SATURDAY NIGHT."

"Goodman and Kaiser and Miller
Help to make things bright
Mixing' hot licks with vanilla
JUKEBOX SATURDAY NIGHT."

-- as performed by Glenn Miller

Kontra
11-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Good stuff, thanks for the info. I didn't know DL was still such a large venue for Jazz performers. I'm sure my Prof will be impressed by the list of performers you gave me.

Thanks!

tod
11-25-2005, 09:35 AM
That's nothin'.

Back in the '70s, a lot of those old big band guys were still alive and swingin'. The Lovely Mrs. tod and I saw Lionel Hampton, Bob Crosby, Glenn Miller vocalist Tex Beneke, and Cab Calloway at Plaza Gardens -- the place booked a different band every week all summer, and although the band may have been local talent hired for the gig, the leader was The Real Deal -- and every year the week after Labor Day the Buddy Rich Band would play for an entire week.

I've seen a picture of Duke Ellington playing Plaza Gardens, and I know that for one TV show Louis Armstrong played on that stage in the middle deck of the Mark Twain. And jazz legends Kid Ory and Teddy Buckner spent the last years of their careers playing at Disneyland. Also, Ward Kimball would bring the Firehouse 5 + Two to Disneyland for occasional gigs, one of which was recorded and is now available on CD, with a vintage picture of the band stuffed into a Mad Tea Party teacup with Peter Pan's Flight and the Skyway tower in the background.

Also, for a jazz night, I saw Willie Bobo play at the Tomorrowland Terrace (now "Club Buzz.") I have a vague memory of seeing Tito Puente and it being a Latin jazz night, but I'm not sure about that any more.

There is a long and proud history of jazz at Disneyland.

--t

P.S. It's "Kyser." Kay Kyser was the man's name, and his trumpet player was also a comedy vocalist under the name "Ish Kabibble (http://www.parabrisas.com/d_boguem.php)."

Andrew
11-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Also I just found out yesterday that I will be doing the Disney College Program at WDW for the Spring 06' semester. I have been casted in my first choice, operations. I am extremely excited! Any words of wisdom on the WDWCP would be appreciated.
Kontra, you may want to post about the WDW College Program separately in the WDW forum. It probably won't get any responses here in the Disneyland forum.

Kontra
11-25-2005, 05:48 PM
oooo, very good stuff, thanks Tod.

Yeah, I'll have to make a separate post about the WDWCP in some WDW forums. Lots of ppl are either DL all the way or all WDW all the way, thanks Andrew.