PDA

View Full Version : New Elements in Fireworks!!!

SweenyTodd
03-19-2002, 03:59 PM
Don't know if anyone noticed, but they've added some new elements to the already wonderful "Believe... There's Magic in the Stars" fireworks spectacular (powered by Compaq). ;) Some cool, neat stuff. Nothing groundbreaking, just some added color at the beginning, some extra stuff during the "slower" parts, and most impressively, a new cross-streaming effect right before the grand finale. Very, very nice.

What would be great would be if they added some of the "extra" elements that you get in front of the castle to some of the other popular viewing areas (New Orleans Sq, etc).

While I'm at it, if all you AP folks out there could drop by City Hall and tell them that the band at the Carnation Plaza absolutely MUST STOP PLAYING before the music from the fireworks begins. They've been kind of bad about it the past few weeks, and for those of us who watch the 'works in front of the castle, it's kind of distracting. And while you're at it, tell them they need to TURN THE VOLUME UP at the castle for the musical portion of the show.

Remember... just believe.

John

innerSpaceman
03-19-2002, 04:06 PM
Yeah, the volume at the Castle has always been too low. Too bad, as it's obviously the classic spot to watch the show, especially for 'Believe' which features stuff at the Castle that can not be seen from anywhere else at the Park. Guess you gain some sights, but lose good sound.

cstephens
03-19-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by SweenyTodd
Don't know if anyone noticed, but they've added some new elements to the already wonderful "Believe... There's Magic in the Stars" fireworks spectacular (powered by Compaq). ;) Some cool, neat stuff. Nothing groundbreaking, just some added color at the beginning, some extra stuff during the "slower" parts, and most impressively, a new cross-streaming effect right before the grand finale. Very, very nice.

By "cross-streaming effect right before the finale", do you mean the fantail effect that the last lone comet chases from right to left? If so, that's been there for a little while now. It was first used (I believe) in last year's (or was it the year prior?) special Fourth of July addition (WOW, was that awesome!), and then sometime last year, they added it to the regular show.

If that's not it, care to describe what the effect is?

/cs

zapppop
03-19-2002, 05:28 PM
It's not the fantail effect. It's sorta like a grid. well kinda.

It should also be noted that the hidden mickey has been very good lately, and last saturday night, 3 or 4 of the hearts were perfect and one of the star shapes too !

TerryTiger
03-28-2002, 10:39 PM
I've seen it 4 times in the past few weeks and the streaming fan effect right before the final blast has been completely different each time. I've also noticed many little differences in several of the shows. Last Friday night for example, the vertical rockets that rise 3 times in the middle of the show had the 2nd set cross each other at opposite angles instead of rising parallel as most times. They really are tweaking and playing around with the show. It just keeps getting better and more surprising!

Not Afraid
03-28-2002, 11:23 PM
Thay are changing / tweaking the show on a regular basis now. Tonight, the "fan" effect at the end was actually 2 fans that corssed each other in the air - and they were green. The other night, there was one fan and it was white.

I've seen this show many, many times and I find the changes very exciting. I wasy the show tonight from the Gallery's balcony and it was wonderful!

hbquikcomjamesl
03-29-2002, 01:51 PM
Oh, I thought the thread was about the use of hahnium or kurchatovium in the shells. But I guess that would be (1) too expensive and (2) too radioactive. ;)

blusilva
03-29-2002, 02:23 PM
I saw the show on Monday from the Small World Plaza and caught only a glimpse of that hovery magic ball thing at the very beginning. It looked very cool, I just wish I could have seen it better.

One question, though: Is that the "Tinkerbulb" firework that was rumored to be replacing the real Tinkerbell a couple of years ago?

Sophie832
03-29-2002, 11:47 PM
I just saw Believe tonight (3/29), and I saw two of the new effects you've been discussing.

I saw the ball moving around at the beginning, and I thought it did look like a little Tinkerbell. I actually wondered if that had replaced Tink, until I saw her in her usual spot.

I also saw the new effect towards the end, only in this show it was red, white, and blue. I thought this might be there instead of the tribute to America ending they were using after 9/11.

Anyway, Gauchograd99 and I both enjoyed the new effects (and visiting with Maynard and Rod!).

cstephens
03-30-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Sophie832
I just saw Believe tonight (3/29), and I saw two of the new effects you've been discussing.

I saw the ball moving around at the beginning, and I thought it did look like a little Tinkerbell. I actually wondered if that had replaced Tink, until I saw her in her usual spot.

I also saw the new effect towards the end, only in this show it was red, white, and blue. I thought this might be there instead of the tribute to America ending they were using after 9/11.

Anyway, Gauchograd99 and I both enjoyed the new effects (and visiting with Maynard and Rod!).

I saw Friday night's show as well, from Main Street as a rarity. There were a number of effects missing, so that was kinda odd. The multi-colored mass of lights going every which way and the full cascading effect of white fireworks during the first not-finale I noticed in particular were missing.

The little blue light floating around the castle has been there since the beginning. You can only really see it from around the castle or on Main Street. Much more impressive from far away. From close up, well, it's a little lit ball.

I wasn't as impressed with the nearly end part as some. We later heard that they'd starting doing the red, white and blue thing (it's a fan effect rather then the pinwheel effect I've seen previously) and that they'd gotten good reaction from it, but I rather like the single comet going right to left right before the massive burst of white at the very end. Nice contrast.

But still a great show.

/cs

Pickles and maraschino cherries - ewwww.

LuvDisney
04-04-2002, 06:33 AM
If you want to watch the fireworks in front of the castle, where is the best spot? (without late comers pushing in) And soon should you get there?:)

triciaandtag
04-04-2002, 07:51 AM
Quick question....are the fireworks running nightly because of spring break? I will be at DL in early May and was wondering if this was just a weekend thing.

Thx. :D

Not Afraid
04-04-2002, 08:15 AM
The fireworks are running nightly because of Spring break. The park hours have changed temporarily for the same reason. Sadly, they go back to Fr/Sa only after this week.

The best place to watch the fireworks in front of the castle is slightly to the right of center anywhere from the ropes back to the benches. How early you need to get there depends on the park crowds that day. If you want one of the benches on the outside of the hub, get there before the last parade and be prepared to camp out.

zapppop
04-12-2002, 09:40 PM
They changed the ending back to the original single shooting star again.
Personally, I think it looks better this way.

corrinhorn
04-13-2002, 06:39 PM
I am a cast member, and I believe that they were doing a different ending each night. (at least that is how it looked) I am going to miss it everyday though!!!