PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Inn Express on Katella?

gkeep
11-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on this hotel? From my research I think this might be a good choice for us. I do like the hojo - and am still considering it - but the rates are quite a bit higher than our previous stay. The Holiday Inn is comparable in rates but has the 4th night free promotion. ( we are going in January). My biggest concern is the distance. It doesn't look too much farther than the Hojo, which was fine for us. Any thought would be apprecitated. TIA!

ToursbabeC3po
11-23-2005, 05:40 PM
I stayed at Holiday inn express once because I was too tired to drive home from work and it was very nice. I recommend it.

Andrew
11-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on this hotel? From my research I think this might be a good choice for us. I do like the hojo - and am still considering it - but the rates are quite a bit higher than our previous stay. The Holiday Inn is comparable in rates but has the 4th night free promotion. ( we are going in January). My biggest concern is the distance. It doesn't look too much farther than the Hojo, which was fine for us. Any thought would be apprecitated. TIA!
We've stayed there twice. It is a bit of a walk but not too bad--comparable to the HoJo. Free high-speed Internet access in every room, reasonably comfortable beds, nice bathrooms and amenities. Parking is fine and there's no dodgy "resort fee". My only real complaint was with the included breakfast; the room they serve it in is way too small for the number of chairs and tables crammed in there, so the lines for each station (toasting, cereal, fruit, etc) get long and it's quite loud. The staff are very friendly and accomodating.

AngelInside
11-24-2005, 11:11 AM
If you get to breakfast before the morning crowd, it's nice, very quiet, everything is fresh. I liked it.

gkeep
11-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the input! I just wanted to check with a few of you to make sure it was a good choice! I can't wait!

Aussie MouseFan
11-25-2005, 04:58 PM
I am posting this reply from the Holiday Inn Express on Katella, so this is as first hand as you are going to get...

I have stayed here many times, very good, as has been mentioned previously, the rooms are clean, the beds and pillows are very comfy (IMO), they have free high speed internet access in all rooms, and if you dont have a laptop, they have a desktop you can use in reception.

Breakfast is adequate, but get in early as it does get crowded (6.30am - 9.30am).

When you check in, ask for a street facing, pool facing or even better a park facing room (all of these will get you a basic view of the fireworks).

Other than that, if you can get a good rate, you are on a winner (I usually pay approx $52 per night by strategically booking well in advance)

gkeep
11-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Thank you so much for the info! I was wondering if you could tell me about the internet access, though... my husband usually brings his desktop computer with him ( he is self-employed and usually has to assist clients even when we are on vacation) . Do they only have a wireless connection in room?? or do they have an actual connection he can use in the room? And how reliable is it? Thanks again!

Andrew
11-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Do they only have a wireless connection in room?? or do they have an actual connection he can use in the room? And how reliable is it? Thanks again!
Both, and it is reliable enough that I haven't noticed any connection problems.

Aussie MouseFan
11-26-2005, 07:21 AM
Ditto to Andrews reply. They have both and I have never had a connection problem with either (prior to late last year I only ever used the cable connection). Actually, the connection here is one of the fastest I have found in any hotel throughout the U.S.

gkeep
11-26-2005, 08:44 AM
Awesome! thanks so much for your help!

AZDisneyDan
11-26-2005, 10:33 AM
We stayed there one night before moving over to GCH and found it a clean and comfortable room. They have a bunch of TV stations, more than your typcial 10 you find at most resorts. The bathroom was large, in fact larger than GCH. The walk to the DLR was about 10 minutes and was not bad at all!! For the price, it is a great value!! Breakfast was pretty good, your standard continental fare....have fun!!!

mkcbunny
12-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Do they have mini fridges in the rooms?

Andrew
12-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Do they have mini fridges in the rooms? Yes, as well as a coffee maker, hair dryer, and iron & ironing board. Details here: Holiday Inn Express ANAHEIM MAINGATE (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/laxex).

mkcbunny
12-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Hello all,

Sorry if this has come up before, but when I search threads for "Holiday Inn," all theose that come up are Christmas-related, and I can't find the info I seek. The hotel reviews section didn't help all that much, as there weren't too many reviews there.

We are planning another DLR trip for the first week in May, and as some folks have noted, the rates next spring seem really high. We usually stay at the HoJo, but it's around $100 then. We wanted to try the Candy Cane, but it's also up there. Boo.

The Holiday Inns have lower rates, but we've never stayed at any of them and it's pretty confusing there being at least three seemingly in walking distance.

Can anyone comment on the relative merits/demerits of the several nearby Holiday Inns? This is for two adults, no kids. We don't need frills, but we do like to take an afternoon nap, so the rooms should be clean and well-tended.

Thanks

Andrew
12-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=50603) is a current thread about the Holiday Inn Express on Katella, near Harbor.

mkcbunny
12-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks. Do you know how it compares to the non-Express HI?

mkcbunny
12-28-2005, 10:05 PM
If anyone has comments about the Holiday Inn "At the Park" on S. Harbor, rather than the Katella Holiday Inn, we would really appreciate them. There are only four reviews to read, and they are split between 5-star positives and one-star negatives, 2 each, so it's really hard to tell if the average stay is OK there; it's so extreme.

Perdie
12-29-2005, 06:53 AM
I have stayed at both the Holiday Inn Express (with AZDisneyDan my husband) and we liked it AND the Holiday Inn at the Park-HATED IT!!!
Holiday Inn at the Park was not that clean, the room we were given had one of those vaccuums that suck up water sitting in the middle of the room when we walked in and the floor was sopping wet-gross! So we switched rooms, but overall the bathtub was kind of gross, ring around the toilet, and not too comfortable bed.....the only place to eat in there wasn't all that grear either. This is an "outside hotel" where your door to your room is in an outside hallway and I am not a big fan of that. It's also quite a hike to DL, over the highway. I would never stay there again. We stayed at HoJO last week and loved it, cleaner, friendlier and overall a really perfect place (no frills, but perfect for what we were looking for). My husband and I also have no kids and while we do enjoy the occasional splurge (our GCH stay in September) we find hotels like HoJO perfect for us and this Holiday Inn was just overall gross.

mkcbunny
12-29-2005, 09:25 AM
My husband and I also have no kids and while we do enjoy the occasional splurge (our GCH stay in September) we find hotels like HoJO perfect for us and this Holiday Inn was just overall gross.
Thanks. This is kind of what I was afraid of. Wee llike the HoJo, too. We were just shocked to see how everything's over $100 when we want to go. Thanks.

Anyone tried the other Holiday Inn, on Walnut? It seems a bit fancier. Rates there were under $100 too. More like $85.

Aussie MouseFan
12-30-2005, 11:56 AM
For the past 5 years (2-3 trips per year) I only ever stay at the Express or the Hol Inn on Walnut (when I cant get a good rate at the other.

The rooms are very spacious, well appointed, internal access (unlike Hol Inn at the park - which I have stayed at once, and will never stay at again), free high speed internet, large bathroom, etc etc.

The only downfall regarding the Hol Inn on walnut is the lack of restuarants, etc nearby, although it is only a 10-12 minute walk to the rear entrance of DTD (through the carpark near DLH).

If I had to score both.

Holiday Inn Express on Katella 8.5/10
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites on Walnut 7.5/10
(although if you are lucky enough to get a suite 9/10)

HTH