PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Know What Happened Friday Night at DL?

Davideo
03-19-2002, 12:41 PM
Was at DL Friday night and something happened during the parade. My bf and I were trying to get across when all of a sudden the parade came to a stop. I mean the music kept going, but the floats and characters were halted from moving forward. Lots of guys on walkie talkies hovered around the parade. A paramedics stretcher was rushed out in the middle of the parade. It was so odd seeing the swan float with the 3 princesses having to just wave and wave over and over again to the same group of kids. This went on for quite a while. Finally we decided to leave the park (also saw poor Tarzan looking exhausted on his float, trying to wave at the same couple of kids.) Does anyone know what happened? Obviously you can never get any real info from the DL castmembers at the time.

spacemtncastmbr
03-19-2002, 01:25 PM
A guest who was very drunk passed out and cracked his head open. so they had to stop the parade to help him.

awinner
03-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Do I smell lawsuit?

Ace
03-19-2002, 02:51 PM
of course you do! it's the familiar

"I'm a drunken idiot. I got hurt while at Disneyland. I'm broke. Disney is rich. Bertha-May, call that lawyer on Tee-Vee!".

Dreamstaker
03-19-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
of course you do! it's the familiar

"I'm a drunken idiot. I got hurt while at Disneyland. I'm broke. Disney is rich. Bertha-May, call that lawyer on Tee-Vee!".

You crack me up.

tinkfreak
03-20-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Davideo
Obviously you can never get any real info from the DL castmembers at the time.

That's because they usually don't tell us anything either. Besides, if you could potentially lose your job over telling some lookly-loo you don't even know some boring tid-bit, wouldn't you think twice?

Traci
03-21-2002, 10:58 AM
Honestly, what is the point of being drunk at DL? People amaze me!!

Almost everytime I am there, I smell alcohol off of someone's breath when I am in the lines.

It's ridiculous!

I was actually at Magic Mountain last weekend, and that place needs some improvements done! I guess I am spoiled with the cleanliness of DL and DCA and the security too, cause Magic Mountain seemed like it was just trashed!!! :thumbdown:

And at the end of the day, when we all walked through the parking lot, it was just amazing to see all that trash and beer cans and liquor bottle strewn all over that lot! It was honestly very depressing!

gautry
03-22-2002, 08:11 AM
DLR needs to learn the lesson the hard way.that they did not have to learn at WDW

When you puts bars betweenm two theme parks stupid people are doing to get drunk and get hurt. The Bars espically the one dead in the middle of dtd by the prezztle place is bad, THESE bars draw people in to drinka nd get stupidly drunk and then they do stupid things hwile being drunk.

In DWD PLeasure island and other places like it get people drunk but they charge different admission prices and have more security I believe.

I know what I can drink and what my friends can drink and I am sure that most of the mp people do to. However there are people that are stupid like this guy who drink to much and then get hurt. He was probably trying to impress some girl and decided to sit on a trash can or a light pole.

In a perfect world guest of the park andd cast members should be able to counter sue him for being a *** whole and making theirday horrible, but at last we dont live in a perfect world.

In closeing DTW and needs to enforece the law that I believe the state of ca has if the person appears to be drunk give that person coffie and call for security assistance if that person wants more happy juice.

Also all happy juice aka beer wine and mixed drinks needs to be moved out of DCA

I go to bars to pick up girls and drink.
I go to DCA To pikc up girls and play with them lol

Iceman
03-22-2002, 11:27 AM
Saying that it's Disney's fault because they built some nice bars and restaurants that serve alcohol near the parks is ridiculous. It is a person's own responsibility not to drink too much, and no one else's.

Ghoulish Delight
03-22-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Iceman
Saying that it's Disney's fault because they built some nice bars and restaurants that serve alcohol near the parks is ridiculous. It is a person's own responsibility not to drink too much, and no one else's.
Absolutely, and I don't think gautry is trying to say Disney is at fault for this particular, or any similar instance. Clearly it's the individual's responsibility. But he does bring up a good point. Bars attract a certain type of crowd. It's undeniable. That type of crowd is not a Disney crowd. There was a reason Walt didn't want alcohol in Disneyland. He knew that there would be people who would not know how to control themselves, and he did not want to attract that kind of customer. The new Disney, apparantly, has decided that they do want to attract that kind of customer.

I'm undecided whether I like it or not. Personally, I enjoy the Uva Bar. I love the Mondavi wines in DCA, and I like to relax and have a margarrita or two. It adds something to the DCA experience, especially the wine since wine is such an important part of California. But if the number of people who come to just get drunk continues to rise, I don't think I'd be very happy with it. However, getting drunk at DCA is rather cost prohibitive. So I doubt the number of completely blitzed people will be much higher than in the past. Afterall, it's not like people weren't sneaking vodka into DL in baby bottles before DCA was built. There were pleanty of drunken morons before, and everyone dealt with it well.

As for Disney getting sued for this, that'd be like a bar getting sued. At least that's one thing the American court system has kept its head on its shoulders about. If you get sloppy drunk and hurt yourself or someone else, it's YOUR fault, not the bartender's.

Lani
03-22-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by gautry
When you puts bars betweenm two theme parks stupid people are doing to get drunk and get hurt. The Bars espically the one dead in the middle of dtd by the prezztle place is bad, THESE bars draw people in to drinka nd get stupidly drunk and then they do stupid things hwile being drunk.So by your own logic, would you agree that putting bars between two streets is a bad thing, because people will invariably get drunk, then go and drive drunk and hit someone?

SzczerbiakManiac
03-22-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
As for Disney getting sued for this, that'd be like a bar getting sued. At least that's one thing the American court system has kept its head on its shoulders about. If you get sloppy drunk and hurt yourself or someone else, it's YOUR fault, not the bartender's.Unfortunately, in many places that's not the case. California, among other states, have statutes (colloquially referred to as Dram Shop laws) that do indeed hold taverns (or anyone serving alcohol) liable for their customers' behavior after they leave the establishment. (I'm not a lawyer, so forgive me if I have the specifics wrong.) IMNSHO, these kinds of laws are LUDICROUS, but the fact remains, they exist and we have to live with them until they are overturned.

If you're interested, do a Web search on the phrase "dram shop law" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Traci
03-22-2002, 01:19 PM
Coming from a family of alcoholics, I still just can't understand why people abuse alcohol, or why there is such a thing.....but alas its here and unfortunately it is something that gets abused.....

BTW....SczrzrManic...what part of Torrance? I was born and raised there!

zapppop
03-22-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by lani
So by your own logic, would you agree that putting bars between two streets is a bad thing, because people will invariably get drunk, then go and drive drunk and hit someone?
It HAS happened :D.

Seriously; I don't get why Cocaine or Marijuana or MDMA(Ecstacy) among other substances are illegal yet Alcohol isn't. They're all drugs that mess up your mind and body and many people that do them end up getting themselves hurt and other people. Alcohol should be illegal just like any other drug or else they should legalize all drugs. It sickens me to see adults tell children not to do drugs yet they smoke ( nicotine ) and drink. I just can't stand the hypocricy. It's no good no matter what age you are so why is it acceptable at ANY age ?

As for having it accessible in the park; it really doesn't matter if it's in DCA or not. You can get loaded at the ESPN Zone or the restaurants and liqour stores surrounding the area. Not to mention some people will go out of their way to sneak some into the park. If people want to get loaded in DL, they'll find a way.

Now for behavior in the park: Many people come to Disneyland thinking that they don't have to think at all and that's where the problems start. You got 30 year olds acting like I don't know what. I'd say 3 year olds but that would be an insult to many kids. People should be held responsible for their own actions. Disney should issue some kind of statement saying they take no responsibility for your safety if you violate their safety rules.

..hmm...I better get back to work.

I think I'm going out somewhere tonight :D

Ghoulish Delight
03-22-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by zapppop

Disney should issue some kind of statement saying they take no responsibility for your safety if you violate their safety rules.
You know, that actually reminds me. Has anyone been to a baseball game and read the back of their ticket? It explicitly says that the team and stadium are not responsible for injury caused by balls going into the stands. And it's darn true. You do not see baseball teams being sued for the injuries caused. The same is true for hockey. Recently, a little girl was killed by a deflected slapshot that caused a freak injury (one that doctors say they hadn't seen in 25 years). It is doubtful that the team will be sued, or if they are that it will be a successful suit. Most likely, the team will voluntarily give some sort of payment to the family, because most sports teams do that as a PR move and because it's the right thing to do. But that ammount certainly won't be a huge settlement as often seen in the amusement park cases. Nor do you see people demanding safety screens, like the ones behind home plate, be installed throughout the parks. People who go to games know the risk and accept it for what it is.

Now, why can't Disney get away with that (or rather, why can't Disney guests take that kind of responsibility)? Is it because of frequency of injuries and deaths? I suppose that might be it. But to me, the situation is the same. Heck, amusement parks should be less responsible since a large percentage of the time accidents are at least partly caused by guests not completely following all posted safety rules. The baseball/hockey thing is entirely out of the control of the fans.

Does anyone know if the standard Disneyland ticket has such a clause on it? And if so, why is it never upheld?

Nigel2
03-22-2002, 09:38 PM
I could have sworn that a standard ticket had all that liability stuff on it and when you get an AP for the first time it has that on it as well. But still people find lawyers that find loopholes and sue. Also eventhought the family may not sue, and the Team, Stadium, NHL, the Players involved, the sponsers... were not directly responsible for the death there is a lawyer(s) out there that could sue them if the family lets them.:crying:

Uncle Dick
03-23-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by SzczerbiakManiac
Unfortunately, in many places that's not the case. California, among other states, have statutes (colloquially referred to as Dram Shop laws) that do indeed hold taverns (or anyone serving alcohol) liable for their customers' behavior after they leave the establishment. (I'm not a lawyer, so forgive me if I have the specifics wrong.) IMNSHO, these kinds of laws are LUDICROUS, but the fact remains, they exist and we have to live with them until they are overturned.

If you're interested, do a Web search on the phrase "dram shop law" and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Exactly.

As a DL CM, straight out of training, I can tell you that all CMs have to undergo a two hour course dealing with intoxicated guests. It's something Disneyland takes very seriously. If a ticket taker admitted an intoxicated guest without notifying security, he/she could very well be held responsible. I guess Disney makes enough money off of alcohol to make it worthwhile.

adriennek
03-23-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Traci
Coming from a family of alcoholics, I still just can't understand why people abuse alcohol,

The American Medical Association has identified alcoholism as a disease. That's why some people become alcoholics and some don't. It can be arrested, but not cured.

It may be genetic, I don't know much about what causes alcoholism. But there are many diseases whose symptoms we know but we don't know the causes.

A few years ago, Carol Burnett made a commercial comparing alcoholism to diabetes. This commercial greatly upset many diabetics. However, I believe both diseases are similar in that they can't be cured but they can both be treated. Diabetes can be treated with medication. Alcoholism can be treated various ways but the best known and most widely accepted is Alcoholics Anonymous.

Adrienne K

Morrigoon
03-23-2002, 07:50 PM
I'd think it has more in common with obsessive/compulsive disorder than diabetes, but I guess they had to relate it to something medical.

Nigel2
03-23-2002, 09:29 PM
Have there been any lawsuits filed by alcoholics for one reason or another? Somehow it wouldn't surprise me.

gautry
03-25-2002, 10:30 AM
"I know what I can drink and what my friends can drink and I am sure that most of the mp people do to. However there are people that are stupid like this guy who drink to much and then get hurt. He was probably trying to impress some girl and decided to sit on a trash can or a light pole." quoted by me

I beleive this quote sums up my felling I have have drinks in DCA and DTD and at bars between two streets. However i know what I can handle when it comes to drinking if I fell a little light head and people still want to drink I drink coffie or club soda as I belive most mouse planet people do. My problem is what was stated at early that this person will sue Disney and state that it was Disney fault for making him get drunk and cracking his head open. Kind of like the argument that Marbo Man is bad because he make you smokes.

"So by your own logic, would you agree that putting bars between two streets is a bad thing, because people will invariably get drunk, then go and drive drunk and hit someone?" Quotting lani

Yes some people will do this, however the legislature bodies of teh United States have mad bars liable if they knowing send out a drunk person and that drunk person gets into an accident.

However Disney needs to watch itself if more problems happen. Someone may get drunk and stunble into someone else thet second person can pull a gun knife or other weapon and attack the drunk.

disneyholic family
03-25-2002, 10:47 AM
as Iceman already knows, i'm afraid of drunks and drunken behavior.....(one of the reasons that alcohol on airplanes downright terrifies me)....
too bad people don't have to submit to a breathilizer test before entering the parks (or boarding a plane for that matter)....

Ghoulish Delight
03-25-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by gautry

However Disney needs to watch itself if more problems happen. Someone may get drunk and stunble into someone else thet second person can pull a gun knife or other weapon and attack the drunk.

Okay, what?! That was a HUGE nonsequiter. I mean geez. I might accidentally step on someone's heal (sober) and that person can pull a knife or other weapon on me. But that doesn't mean it's likely, and it certainly doesn't mean that having a bar contributes to that at all.

Nigel2
03-25-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight

Okay, what?! That was a HUGE nonsequiter. I mean geez. I might accidentally step on someone's heal (sober) and that person can pull a knife or other weapon on me. But that doesn't mean it's likely, and it certainly doesn't mean that having a bar contributes to that at all.

Excellent point GD:)

I can't remember (it may have been said) but how are CMs supposed to deal with drunk/unruly guests? And does it involve the "snake Lasso" type restraint the airlines use?

Uncle Dick
03-25-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2

Excellent point GD:)

I can't remember (it may have been said) but how are CMs supposed to deal with drunk/unruly guests? And does it involve the "snake Lasso" type restraint the airlines use?
As a Resort Transportation CM, I can tell you that we're not supposed to let intoxicated guests board the tram (or any other attraction for that matter) or enter their cars. As soon as we spot an intoxicated guest, we're supposed to alert security who will either seek out alternative transportation for the guest or keep them occupied until they sober up. Extremely unruly guests probably get accosted by the Anaheim PD who maintain a constant presence at the resort. Security must do a fairly good job because I've never noticed any intoxicated guests around the resort.