PDA

View Full Version : How do you pass the time in queues?

Pages : [1] 2

Enter The Mouse
11-22-2005, 05:46 PM
I recently read the thread about Queues and a question popped into my head. When you are waiting in the line how do you pass the time?

One more question! How do you say Queues? I've tried a million times but I can't figure it out.

potterphreak
11-22-2005, 05:50 PM
You say it like the letter Q
q's (kyues?) LOL

I haven't had to pass time other than yapping with DH and DD, but this time I am coming prepared!! Bought little notebooks for me and the girls, after every ride/parade/whatever while we are in line, we are going to write a little note about what we just did, how we liked it, blah blah blah. Helps me with my future trip report and helps them for school work. Also, bringing subtraction flash cards and MONEY flash cards, these kids will LEARN on vacay, I tell you! LOL

Alice Fan
11-22-2005, 05:50 PM
We strike up conversations with the folks around us, we've met lots of great people in line at Disneyland! We've also been known to play "Rock, Paper, Scissors" and have "Thumb Wars". If a line is really long, we get a treat before we get in line (like a chocolate covered banana), and eat it while we're waiting.

How to pronounce "queue"... kyooo is the best I can do phonetically!

Have a great time!

Shelli

tod
11-22-2005, 06:39 PM
One more question! How do you say Queues? I've tried a million times but I can't figure it out.

You pronounce "queue" like the letter Q.

You pronounce "queues" like you would Q's.

--t

Wendi
11-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Lately I pass the time by telling Max over and over again to stop touching/swinging the chains or ropes, and/or get off the fence, etc. It's hard because then he'll see another kid doing it and he reports it to me... I have to tell him that these are my rules for him, and he needs to listen to me.

Vegitabeta
11-23-2005, 08:34 AM
Slightly off topic, but why do people not know how to say queue?

potterphreak
11-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Maybe it's not something they hear on a day to day basis. If I had never heard it and was just reading it, OH YEAH I would be like, uhhh, huh??? LOL There is nothing wrong with not knowing something and then asking about it. I do it all the time. It's called educating yourself. :D

Vegitabeta
11-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Maybe it's not something they hear on a day to day basis. If I had never heard it and was just reading it, OH YEAH I would be like, uhhh, huh??? LOL There is nothing wrong with not knowing something and then asking about it. I do it all the time. It's called educating yourself. :D
I didn't mean there was anything wrong with asking! I was just wondering why the confusion about that particular word.

garrett240
11-23-2005, 09:20 AM
I think the only time I ever used the word "queue" is when I'm talking about DL. I never use the word anywhere else. I guess banks, and fast food resturants have queues, but I've never head it called that. Only at DL.

Oh..oh..oh. Vegitabeta is from England. That explains it. In the US, we usually just say "line". Or "Line up".

Vegitabeta
11-23-2005, 09:21 AM
I think the only time I ever used the word "queue" is when I'm talking about DL. I never use the word anywhere else. I guess banks, and fast food resturants have queues, but I've never head it called that. Only at DL.
I thought everyone over there called them lines? :)

tod
11-23-2005, 10:52 AM
I thought everyone over there called them lines? :)

Americans do, as a rule, say "line." One gets "in line" or "on line" depending on where one grew up.

Disneyland developed its own nomenclature, like "Guest" for customer, "Cast Member" for employee, "Merchandise Host" for sales clerk, and "Queue" for line.

--t

nursemelis374
11-23-2005, 10:53 AM
I call them lines.

I like to make up games or stories. The most recent is wear someone slowly starts saying a word and then the other people try to complete it. Blueckles and I love this game.

Enter The Mouse
11-23-2005, 05:57 PM
I didn't mean there was anything wrong with asking! I was just wondering why the confusion about that particular word.

I just called them lines and I see Queue online so I just wondered how you said it. Also I am in my third year of learning spanish so when I see Que I think K. It was just a funny word and I just thought I would ask. now I will use Queue whenever I can.

mi_mous
11-24-2005, 12:00 AM
I think a lot of confusion, at least for me was the spelling. I didn't realize that word even existed until I read it in a book, and said it wrong, and was corrected.

TowerofTerror
11-24-2005, 12:02 AM
I just talk to the guest and found out where they are from and tell them about the park if they have never been here before .

mckygirl99
11-24-2005, 09:40 AM
It's the perfect time to people watch!!

AngelInside
11-24-2005, 02:15 PM
play with my daughter and try to keep her amused. We don't go on rides much though, all she ever wants to do is take pictures w/ characters and watch parades. :rolleyes: whatever makes her happy :D

coronado_g
11-24-2005, 08:10 PM
My last 3 visits to the DL were solo trips so there was no one to talk to while waiting in line. I spent the time looking details in the architecture - such as the walls, ceilings, floor, etc. I also looked at plants, flowers, shrubs and trees. Disneyland is rich in details. It was all really quite fascinating and I never missed having a companion.

SandraVB79
11-25-2005, 01:34 AM
My last 3 visits to the DL were solo trips so there was no one to talk to while waiting in line. I spent the time looking details in the architecture - such as the walls, ceilings, floor, etc. I also looked at plants, flowers, shrubs and trees. Disneyland is rich in details. It was all really quite fascinating and I never missed having a companion.

Whenever I'm at Disney in line alone, I start talking with the people in front of me, people behind me, ... I have met nice people that way.

In "peak season", when there are a lot of shows/parade I "plan" when I am going to see what, in order to spend the least time on it... I especially do this when I still have to videotape some.

rentayenta
11-25-2005, 06:23 AM
20 Q, the handheld game. lisap told me about this last year and it occupies the kids wonderfully. I also carry Dum Dum lollipops in my bag at all times.

newhdplayer
11-25-2005, 06:40 AM
I recently read the thread about Queues and a question popped into my head. When you are waiting in the line how do you pass the time?

Stand.

cryan71
11-25-2005, 07:27 AM
I usually show people around me my AP.

Then, I begin to critique their trip to Disneyland by telling them how it really should be done. I tell them all sorts of secrets about the park that only I know. I ramble on about random facts- most of them obvious- or trivia that only the most diehard Disneyland fan would know or care about.

I'll also try to trade cheap pins for expensive ones which I will sell on Ebay.

The cool thing is that many of the people in front of me will let me go ahead. This process seems to repeat until I am at the front of the line. I think people just understand that my superior knowledge of the park must be shared with everyone in line.

I love Peter Pan
11-25-2005, 09:15 AM
I usually show people around me my AP.

Then, I begin to critique their trip to Disneyland by telling them how it really should be done. I tell them all sorts of secrets about the park that only I know. I ramble on about random facts- most of them obvious- or trivia that only the most diehard Disneyland fan would know or care about.
I do that too. I make some people feel really stupid sometimes too! Unintentionally though! Maybe because I'm just a teenager and they're and adult who hasn't been in the park for a while and has no clue what they're talking about. But I do love it when I find another person who know Disneyland like I do!

I Heart Disneyland!
11-25-2005, 10:50 AM

I pronounce it "Lines". heehee!

We just chat amongst ourselves. Sometimes we chat with people around us, depending on how social we're feeling at the moment.

animagusurreal
11-27-2005, 02:03 AM
Oh..oh..oh. Vegitabeta is from England. That explains it. In the US, we usually just say "line". Or "Line up".

I remember the first time I saw 101 Dalmatians (The Original) as a little kid, and Sgt. Tibbs the cat tells the puppies to "form a queue along the wall." I had only read the word before in Disneyland guides, and even though ithe movie was a Disney thing as well, it was interesting to hear it in a non-theme-park situation. (Of course, 101 Dalmatians is set in England.)

I say it like "cue", like as in a theatrical cue.

What do I do while standing in line? Traditionally, impart Disney trivia upon the rest of my party, and most recently, eat turkey jerkey and read an old Disney Magazine.