PDA

View Full Version : Fanstasmic - Waterfront vs Balcony

kkmickey
11-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Just got back from a long weekend at Disneyland - the weather was BEAUTIFUL!!! I will post a trip report later.

However, I was so disappointed. In June 2004 I went with a couple of friends for my 40th birthday, and we splurged and watched Fantasmic from balcony. It was a little crowded and there was a wiggly kid next to me, but the desserts were delicious, and it felt really special. I have seen Fantasmic countless times, so I wasn't as concerned with being upfront to feel a part of the show. (Although being 'misted' and then warmed by the fire is great).

This weekend I was with my husband and my three teenage sons. Since the boys are older, they spent much of their time on their own, and this was one of our special family moments. My parents had sat in waterfront seating a few years ago, and they got a special box with several sample desserts. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to postings, but I was quite disappointed with the food on the waterfront. The staff was great - very attentive and helpful, even when my son threw his retainer in the garbage!

The food was buffet, and basically it was chocolate covered strawberries and cookies. The cookies were ok - some we a little hard, almost stale. I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of cheesecake in a pretty box, so I was sad that I had to serve myself stale cookies. Especially for the same price as the balcony - when it is so much more 'fancy'.

HOWEVER, the kids had a great time. They love Fantasmic, and they liked having reserved seating. They enjoyed the cookies, but were a little disappointed it wasn't dessert. My youngest (almost 13) still said he felt very 'fancy' sitting in the special section with beautiful cookies being served drinks.

(I felt really bad for the family who thought they were getting a buffet dinner at the 9 pm showing, so hadn't eaten yet and then there were only cookies!)

So, my advice is to just KNOW what you are buying.
PROS AND CONS (that I can think of)

BOTH - expensive, but a nice splurge if you can afford it
Special - it adds a special element to your trip
You don't have to wait for hours to get 'good seats'

BALCONY -
PROS - Elite, balcony seating
Don't have to fight the crowds
Delicious desserts
Smaller group
Seats are reserved according to the order you call (this can also be a con)
Warmer (the mist from the water can get chilly)
CONS - harder to get tickets
A bit crowded
You are removed from the center of the action
If there are small kids, there is not much wiggle room for them

WATERFRONT
PROS - Closer to the action
Better for small kids - room to wiggle
Seats are assigned in the order you check in (can also be a con)
CONS
Not as 'fancy'
Pretty expensive considering the difference in the menu
Cookies are good, but not great

kohl
11-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Thanks for your view on the two. We will be trying balcony for the first time November 27th! We did riverfront in July and had a great time. It was a dessert buffet when we were there. There were chocolate dipped strawberries, mickey rice krispie treats dipped in chocolate, biscotti, chocolate covered macaroons, shortbread cookie with raspberry filling covered in white chocolate, I think there was more, but I can't remember.
I can't wait to see all the desserts offered on the balcony. I have heard that they are a little nicer than riverfront.

cpeak
11-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Where is the Waterfront seating at exactly? Also, how much does it cost? Thanks.