PDA

View Full Version : Autograph question

potterphreak
11-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Packing up the mini backpacks the girls will have to schlep all over the parks and was wondering-I know the characters need a "fatter" pen to hold so they can properly sign, will a sharpie work? And will it bleed through the pages? Thanks in advance!!

Dexter
11-21-2005, 02:23 PM
From what I've seen, Sharpies work best and they don't bleed through the book pages, at least they didn't on my sisters book.

annieb727
11-21-2005, 03:17 PM
we spent a few $$ and got a couple of those fat pens from DL...it was kind of cool too b/c it's a cheap souvenier!

experiment626
11-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Bic has pens called XXL that are ball point.

MammaSilva
11-21-2005, 05:49 PM
After many years of autograph books, I will say that the characters have an easier time with 'felt tip' style pins as opposed to ball points. I actually had one character comment on how wonderful the pen my daughter was using and I gave them the pen because I had a box of them in my bag....so if you use a ball point make sure you've checked it and the ink is free flowing before you get in line .... it's sad to have half the autograph not 'show' because the pen was being stubborn!

ima_mickeyfan
11-21-2005, 06:12 PM
We used the sharpies, and what's really great is that we got the retractable ones so our autographs are in different colors...kind of nice for scrapbooks..

nvmom
11-21-2005, 06:16 PM
We brought over sized Sharpies with us. They worked well.
The only comment I've heard from a few people is that Sharpie ink can get on them or their costumes... especially characters w/big gloves or hands.

nvmom

Wendi
11-21-2005, 09:08 PM
My friend bought the 50th autograph/photo book that came with a pen... the pen is metallic gold... really nice!

AVP
11-21-2005, 09:18 PM
We brought over sized Sharpies with us. They worked well.
The only comment I've heard from a few people is that Sharpie ink can get on them or their costumes... especially characters w/big gloves or hands.

nvmomThat was going to be my comment - I saw Eeyore get marked with a huge fat orange sharpie some mom was trying to cram in his hand, and I wondered if he was ever going to be able to get himself clean.

Maybe Chipmunk Star could drop 2c here, but I know I've been told the "furry / head" characters prefer fat ball-points, while the face characters prefer fine-tip felt.

AVP

adriennek
11-21-2005, 09:23 PM
I've heard that wrapping a pen with masking tape makes it much easier for characters with gloves over their hands to grip.

Adrienne

ChipmunkStar
11-21-2005, 11:38 PM
That was going to be my comment - I saw Eeyore get marked with a huge fat orange sharpie some mom was trying to cram in his hand, and I wondered if he was ever going to be able to get himself clean.

Maybe Chipmunk Star could drop 2c here, but I know I've been told the "furry / head" characters prefer fat ball-points, while the face characters prefer fine-tip felt.

AVP

Aw, feeling the love here, AVP ;)

As far as my experience goes with the characters, it is MUCH easier for the characters to grasp a regular to larger sized Sharpie than a regular pen. Just be sure to be VERY careful of how you hand it to the character, as there is a way to give it to them without marking up their hands or gloves (When they hold out their hand for the pen, try to put it between their thumb and pointer finger with the ink side pointing toward the paper).

The characters have all dealt with many different types of pens and markers, so they're nearly used to almost any kind of writing utensil you could give them. But seriously, use some thinking and don't try to give them a golf pencil and eensy weensy autograph book you picked up at Wal Mart. Yeah, it's cheaper, but it's a world harder to sign!

Another tip- The gold pens that come with the Gold autograph books SUCK!!! They break easier than any pen I've ever seen at the park, and run out of ink even faster. It's also hard to even see the autographs on the blue paper provided. So whatever paper you bring, make sure there's a good contrast from pen to paper, so you can see it.

Oh yeah... and please remember to say something like "Hey ______, Will you please sign my autograph book? Thank you!" It's much more rewarding to know that the guests are actually appreciating the effort the characters are making to sign your book rather than someone shoving it in their face (I call it feeding it to them) and just walking away. The End.

Hope that was informational enough... :)

KRA0125
11-22-2005, 07:21 AM
We just got back, used a sharpie and it worked great. The cm at Mickey's house would not let us use the sharpie, the ink was toxic to mice she claimed, but everyone else was fine with it.

[QUOTE=ChipmunkStar]
Oh yeah... and please remember to say something like "Hey ______, Will you please sign my autograph book? Thank you!" It's much more rewarding to know that the guests are actually appreciating the effort the characters are making to sign your book rather than someone shoving it in their face (I call it feeding it to them) and just walking away. The End.
:)[/QUOTE

And we always said please and thank you, is there any other way? ;)

adriennek
11-22-2005, 07:26 AM
We didn't have autograph books last week but my 18-month-old screamed when we made him leave Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger, and Mickey, so I'm hoping they were able to translate that as "Mommy! I don't want to leave these wonderful things! Call CPS! I want to play with the animals more! My Mommy is horrible and they are wonderful!" ;)

Adrienne

lauramaynot
11-22-2005, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE=ChipmunkStar]Aw, feeling the love here, AVP ;)

Another tip- The gold pens that come with the Gold autograph books SUCK!!! They break easier than any pen I've ever seen at the park, and run out of ink even faster. It's also hard to even see the autographs on the blue paper provided. So whatever paper you bring, make sure there's a good contrast from pen to paper, so you can see it.

QUOTE]

We bought these also. My niece loved the pen since it is sparkly and pretty and it worked ok during our visit. My Sister-in-law told me that a few days after they got home the pen was dry. They were planning on using it again next month so that the sigs would all be the same in her book. They were disapointed...I thought we just got a bum pen:(

SDiamond
01-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Packing up the mini backpacks the girls will have to schlep all over the parks and was wondering-I know the characters need a "fatter" pen to hold so they can properly sign, will a sharpie work? And will it bleed through the pages? Thanks in advance!!

Coming from experiance, Most characters prefer a longer writting utincil. I find Pens the best. Sometimes the Disney pens run out or skip but that usually happens only when they are new. The big Blue Pins with the Mickey head top are the best. Gold Pens are horrible. They are great when they work and in day light but I have run into problems. At night the characters can't see as well. (Think as though you were wearing sunglasses with blinders attached) So the gold ink becomes invisible to them. Can't see the ink at all.

I have also had trouble with perminent markers. Someties they bleed though, sometimes they don't. Permenent Markers are only of the ways the Characters get dirty. Marks all over the hands and face... and for Pluto, the tounge.

So from experiance, I prefer a black ink pen, normal size or a little larger. Please no smaller than a normal pen. But most characters can get there hands around a normal pen with out much difficulty.
;) Happy Character Hunting ;)

Wesley815
01-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Another tip- The gold pens that come with the Gold autograph books SUCK!!! They break easier than any pen I've ever seen at the park, and run out of ink even faster. It's also hard to even see the autographs on the blue paper provided. So whatever paper you bring, make sure there's a good contrast from pen to paper, so you can see it.You could sure say that again! I have a feeling Goofy would agree with you as well ;)