PDA

View Full Version : No Fireworks 11-18-05

Phantom2006
11-19-2005, 10:37 PM
On Friday I brought my friend to Disneyland. She is 23 and has neverbeen. It was a great day, not that many people, nice wheather, etc. But when it came the the fireworks i guess that wheather sucked. They said it was 2 windy. I would have never thought that would cancel firworks. I have an annual pass so i go all the time and i have seen the show many times. I am not really mad that the show was off. I just dont like the fact that Disney keeps peoples hopes up, then dashes them. For an hour they said that they did not know. Then they said it would be delayed. The it was going to start in a few mins. Then they said it was off. They need to make up there mind. I know Disneyland does not have control over the wheather, but they could have not wasted my time just standing there. I dont even think it was that windy.

mi_mous
11-19-2005, 11:00 PM
You weren't the only one who was dissappointed. We were there for 4 days, and NO fireworks the whole time we were there. I didn't feel bad, cause I have an annual pass, but our family who was here from out of town didn't get to see them at all.
Thursday, they DID do them, but we had reservations for dinner that we had to go to. I guess they were delayed, and we saw them as we were driving away from the park.
I had a feeling when I was watching the news when they announced the windy conditions that there would be no fireworks. We were in your same situation, we were sitting in front of the castle, for HOURS and to no avail!! We spent a total of 6 hours on those 4 days that we had sitting waiting for the fireworks, and we didn't get to see them.
I too wish that they knew beforehand if they were to cancel them, so we could know not to spend time sitting for hours on end.
I even went to City Hall, and they answered me with, "Our schedule is ALWAYS subject to change, and it is only for YOUR safety that they are cancelled."
I appreciate that answer, but the way she said it was a little rude, almost condescending!
So, I am sure you and I are not the only ones who are upset over the cancellation. I thought for sure that they were going to do the show on Friday, since they did them on Thursday, and since Fantasmic was going just right before, and they usually cancel that for winds.
But, I guess with the priority seating, they have more of an obligation to show that?? Have they ever cancelled it since they have done the priority seating?
I know how you feel though!

Phantom2006
11-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Yea, it sucks because I really wanted her to see it. She Loved Fantasmic, i am glad she got to see that. She cyed during it. She said it was the cutest thing she had ever seen(the princess part) lol.

Disneymomma
11-20-2005, 04:43 AM
It is the Fire Marshall who cancels them.

The CM's have no say in the matter, and go on a minute by minute schedule to see if the wind conditions are ok.

I am sure the CM's would rather they be on then have to have people yelling at them, questioning them and getting mad at them.

You have to remember that the fireworks are way way way up high where there is different winds then down in DLand. And remember that DL is in the middle of a city, and can't be having fireworks if it could in anyway endanger people or buildings.

It is too bad that you never got to see them, but there are reasons.

GrumpyUTboi
11-20-2005, 05:40 AM
SO the whole day was ruined by the fireworks not being done? We watch the fireworks one day, maybe because while all of you are watching the fireworks all the rides are open and no waiting!

karl
11-20-2005, 07:06 AM
Fireworks were cancelled for Saturday night as well.

While it was tame at the surface, the smoke from the Fantasmic finale was moving swiftly toward the south/southeast. That was a good early indication that they would be cancelling.

indyBeagle
11-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Last year on the Thursday before Christmas we had priority balcony seating for Fantasmic and they cancelled Fantasmic for high winds. It was the same thing with the delays and maybe start in 15 minutes, etc and then they finally cancelled. We were really disappointed, but we understood that it could be very dangerous to do that type of show with high winds. We did go to City Hall and they refunded our priority seating tickets. Which I thought was nice and the people in City Hall were great about the whole thing.

AaronInCal
11-20-2005, 02:57 PM
For those who may have seen the fireworks this past Thursday when they did have them, although delayed. You could really see what they mean by "winds high above the Magic Kingdom." The high-up fireworks would explode and then blow pretty fast towards the southwest. The wind up there that night must have been just below where they would cancel them. It was dead calm down on the ground that night as well, so they are not lying when they make those announcements about winds higher up.

Another Dimension
11-20-2005, 07:20 PM
So, I am sure you and I are not the only ones who are upset over the cancellation. I thought for sure that they were going to do the show on Friday, since they did them on Thursday, and since Fantasmic was going just right before, and they usually cancel that for winds.
But, I guess with the priority seating, they have more of an obligation to show that?? Have they ever cancelled it since they have done the priority seating?

Many many times F! has been cancelled over the past 13 years with the Priority Seating area(s) and all the non-Priority Guest sections being full.
Due to winds, rain, power outages and technical difficulties. :(

socaltexan02
11-20-2005, 07:55 PM
For those who may have seen the fireworks this past Thursday when they did have them, although delayed. You could really see what they mean by "winds high above the Magic Kingdom." The high-up fireworks would explode and then blow pretty fast towards the southwest. The wind up there that night must have been just below where they would cancel them. It was dead calm down on the ground that night as well, so they are not lying when they make those announcements about winds higher up.

Yes! I was there Thurs. and thought to myself about 1/2 way through that they were moving really fast! You could definately see how windy it was up there...but like you said it was very still on the ground.

As dissapointing as it can be to wait around for fireworks and then have them cancelled, I'm glad that they are always on the safe side!

mi_mous
11-20-2005, 08:35 PM
I didn't really mind that they were cancelled, I have seen it before, but for our family, it was a little dissappointing. I guess also since we were sitting there for a long time.
We did see the Thursday fireworks from the car, and yes, they were moving quickly.. I did notice that.
I also didn't mean to sound like the HAVE to have fireworks, even if the winds are there.. the CM was just a little more harsh than I would have expected, especially since I was asking really politely. She was still nice, but you could tell she had been asked a lot about the fireworks.
But, we ALL understood that it was for our safety.. Even if it was a little sad that we never enjoyed them.. we still all had a good time!

Phantom2006
11-20-2005, 08:37 PM
I know Disney wants to be safe. I just don't like how they went about of doing it. i have seen the show many times. But, I had people with me who have NEVER been to Disneyland. It was such a dissapointment. The part that they made there mistake was saying it was delayed. Then they said it was going to start in a few mins. Then it was off. If they know that they canclled a few shows in the week then cancel it before hundres of people line up on main street. I just wish i knew that they were off, so i could have lined up to get a better space at Fantasmic or get in line for a ride.

Seashellmama
11-20-2005, 10:44 PM
From the other side of the coin, we were there Friday night and my 4 year old, who hadn't stopped talking since our visit in August about how scared she was of the fireworks, was wondering if they'd cancelled the fireworks because they saw that she was scared of them. We were leaving DCA and heading back to DL to ride Small World (kudos to the CM in August who saw the scared kids in front of IASMW and gave us the tip to wait a few minutes into the fireworks and then run onto IASMW- 17 minute fireworks show, 15 minute ride, avoid coming out during the finale'.... we screwed up a little because my daughter just couldn't stand it and we did come out during the loudest part of the fireworks, but she managed through it OK).

Anyway, I know most guests were unhappy about the fireworks being cancelled, but it sure made our lives easier! (Except for the monster IASMW line once we got back there... longest line we stood in all day, at ~25 minutes... would have been a lot faster if I'd chosen to go right instead of left when the line splits)

mi_mous
11-20-2005, 10:49 PM
would have been a lot faster if I'd chosen to go right instead of left when the line splits)

ALWAYS go right. The left lane is the lane they use for handicap entrance. I learned that, and now ALWAYS go on the left. I am sure there are other reasons, but it seemed that anyone needing assistance to get on the ride was in the right side, which slowed the ride up on that one side.

Seashellmama
11-20-2005, 11:01 PM
ALWAYS go right. The left lane is the lane they use for handicap entrance.

From what I could see, the handicap helping slowed it way down, AND the line is wider for longer, so there are actually more people in it at the split. But mostly it was the wheelchair transfers (on AND off)- a lot fewer boats seemed to be cycled through the right side. Live and learn. I don't think I've stood in a real amount of line for IASMW since I was a kid in the 1970s.

Er, but this is getting rather OT from fireworks being cancelled.

mi_mous
11-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Yeah, you're right, sorry to get off topic!! Back to the cancelling of the fireworks!

chrisaustx
11-20-2005, 11:25 PM
The fireworks were cancelled on 11/20, Sunday night. It appears that the new pyro from small world was set to go off tonight. They had cleared out small world and would not allow the train to enter small world during the fireworks. But the fireworks were cancelled, so I didn't get to see the new Small World pyro tonght, I was bummed.

SandraVB79
11-21-2005, 04:54 AM
Now that's the reason why I NEVER wait a long time to see a show/fireworks/parade (unless I want to videotape a parade, and that only happens once every trip)
I prefer coming at the last moment, and maybe not having the best view. Instead, I have had way more time on less crowded rides (since everyone is waiting for the fireworks, they are not in front of you in line!)
Of course, if you're there with a group of 20 people, it won't work to squeeze you somewhere between the ropes in a viewing area... My mom and I often are at a different part of the hub/ Main Street/ ... because the place is packed when we arrive, but we always set a spot to find each other back (e.g. the Pin cart) and then go each apart look for a nice spot :) It works each time!

I guess they keep on saying it's delayed, just a couple of mins because they really keep hoping they can do the show.

At DLP, things like that happen all the time (you have to love the idjit that decided to put a Disney-park in a place where the weather is not that nice...)

ALWAYS go right. The left lane is the lane they use for handicap entrance. I learned that, and now ALWAYS go on the left. I am sure there are other reasons, but it seemed that anyone needing assistance to get on the ride was in the right side, which slowed the ride up on that one side.

Now, which line is it now, left or right???

mi_mous
11-21-2005, 11:04 AM
When the line splits right as you get on Small World, go to the right "outside" line.. the one closest to the street. It generally goes a lot faster.