PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report 11/14-11/18

momtotwins
11-19-2005, 07:10 PM
We had a great time at the DLR the week of November 14-18. For the most part, crowds were light (although Friday was getting crowded!).Lines were mercifully short for even the most popular rides. The longest wait times I saw were 35 minutes for Soarin and Space Mountain. The weather was miserably hot…mid to upper 80s everyday with very dry Santa Ana winds blowing. It made for frequent breaks, and carrying large amounts of water with us.

We stayed at the GCH in a 2 BR suite with concierge service (I was able to upgrade when we checked in). The suite itself was gorgeous. No complaints whatsoever. Impeccably clean, and well furnished. We had a view directly over the pool area, into Paradise Pier. Fabulous at night, and wonderful during the day. The service, from the maids to the bell staff, were friendly, courteous and helpful. For example, I discovered that the robes were missing from one of the bedrooms. I called down, and was told to wait and they would be delivered. Literally, within 2 minutes the robes arrived, with apologies for their absence. Same with getting our bags brought up (our rooms were not ready when we checked in at 2:15)….took less than 5 minutes. And, lest one think that this level of service was a func6tion of a less than full hotel, it was not. The GCH was completely sold out (and is sold out through the remainder of the year!).

The pool area was well kept, plenty spacious and always very well stocked with an enormous number of towels. We enjoyed it both in the morning before the parks opened, and then again in the mid-afternoon. The slide was nothing spectacular, but was just the right speed for my 6 year old twins.

The concierge lounge was also a treat. Breakfast (served from 6:30-10:30) was ample, although there were no hot items. It was fruit, assorted muffins, bagels, incredible croissants, cereals, orange juice (other types available upon request), coffee, milk, and tea. From 11:00 to 4:00, tea service was set up. Small sandwiches (a veggie option, turkey or ham, and smoked salmon…all delicious), fruit platter , tea cookies, chocolate dipped strawberries, and the most delicious Mickey shaped warm scones. From 5-7, appetizers and beer/wine were served. There was always a veggie platter, cheeses and crackers and crustless PB&J sandwiches for the children. There was a hot appetizer, which varied, but was things like crab cakes and mini shrimp enchiladas. Finally, from 8-10, they served cookies and milk (for the kids) and delicious mini desserts with cordials for the adults. We watched the fireworks from here twice…and while you don’t see everything that you would from inside the park, the music and narration were piped in, and the view was ok. Comfort factor was high. Ease of getting seat? No problem at all.

The thing we enjoyed the most about the lounge however was that it was a peaceful respite from the hot and noisy parks. Don’t get me wrong….I enjoy the parks very much. But, it was nice to be able to regroup in a civilized way. Was it worth the extra $150 per day? From a sheer monetary perspective for a family of four, I would say no. I’m estimating that the value of the food and drink we consumed was maybe $75-$100. Still, however, I would not hesitate to do it again. For the sheer convenience and luxury of it, I’d say it was more than worth it. We ended up eating most meals there (the selection and quantity was enough). We ate one lunch in DCA (more about that later) , had breakfast at Storytellers (excellent…as good as others say, with plentiful, albeit low key, character interaction) and had dinner (the husband and I only) at Napa Rose (more about that later too). So, our food budget (other than the concierge lounge) was minimal.

We ended up spending more time in DCA than Disneyland, partly because it was so convenient to GCH, and partly because my children enjoyed it more. They are not big “thrill” riders yet, and find most of the dark rides in Fantasyland to be “too scary” (strange, huh?). So, our Disneyland activities were limited to things like Toontown, IASW, Dumbo, the Carousel, the Tiki Room (had my first Dole Whip during that show….yum!), and the Jungle Cruise (looky very spiffy, and still as corny as ever J). I did leave the small ones with the husband for about 70 minutes on Wednesday morning, and did walk ons (no lines at all) to SM, BTMRR, HM, POTC, and Indiana Jones. It was amazing how quickly I covered all those rides!

At DCA, we all thoroughly enjoyed Turtle Talk. We went three times, and managed to position ourselves so that both our children had a chance to “talk” to Crush. They loved it. (I recommend sitting in the middle front row in either Lily Pad if your children want to talk to Crush). Of course, they also liked Playhouse Disney, Flik’s Land, and the “kiddie” rides on Paradise Pier. We convinced my son to ride Soarin, and GRR…he loved the former, and pronounced the latter “ok”, but never asked to go again. He rode Soarin 4 times…enough to have a decided preference for the first row. I rode TOT, and can definitively state that the version in WDW is MUCH better. It is far more intricate and interesting. Still, it’s a good ride…not great, just good.

We saw both Block Party Bash, and the Remember parade. Between the two of them, I thought BPB was better. Remember was a bit disappointing, I think mainly because there were so few units in the parade…maybe 7 or 8? BPB had good energy to it, and held the attention of my kids much better.

My daughter is a major princess freak, so of course we had to eat at Ariel’s Grotto. I’d give the character interaction part a 10, but the food a zero. The princesses were all sweet, and very charming to my 6 year old. That was probably worth the money. The food was the worst I’ve ever had. Both my husband and I had the salad for our starter course. Both were way overloaded with dressing, and the lettuce was wilted. My husband had the salmon burger for his entrée…it arrived cold (including the fries). My chicken pot pie was incredibly salty and instead of being covered with a “flaky” pastry (as described on the menu) was topped with a rock hard, and huge, biscuit. If there’s anything worse than a bad biscuit, it’s a large bad biscuit. Yuck. The desserts were equally as awful On the bright side, my children thought the pasta was fine, and their sundaes were a-ok. I wish I could have ordered a children’s meal! Something truly needs to be done about that horrid food!

Standing in marked contrast was the meal my husband and I enjoyed at Napa Rose. Superb. Service was helpful, but not solicitous. We were made to feel very comfortable, even dressed in our “resort” finest (read that as khakis and decent shirts). Nothing the least bit snooty about that place. We both had the Vintner’s table (with wine). We thought that the wine/food was perfectly paired on every course. Sure, it set us back over $300 (after the tip was added in), but it was money well spent. I wish I could remember every course, or better yet, I wish I had stolen a copy of the menu. J The first course was monk fish and lobster, I’ve completely lost track of the second course, the third course was venison (very tender and delicious…the best I’ve ever had), and the fourth course was a small souffle like dish. Anyway, sorry I can’t be more descriptive of the food…but it was good. Eat there if you ever get the chance. You won’t regret it. And, surrender yourself to the Vintner’s table.

Sorry this got so long. Thanks again to all those who participate here. It made planning my trip easier and more enjoyable!

A few things I forgot:

(1) We had vacation planning do gift baskets for each of our children on their birthday. The baskets were incredible, and a wonderful surprise for them. Not cheap of course...you pay a slight premium (for the baskets and packaging) over what the same items would cost you in the store, but they looked incredible.

(2) We also had vacation planning arrange for a small cake on their birthday. The cake was, bar none, the BEST chocolate cake I've ever had. It was delicious. I've no idea what I was charged for it...haven't seen the bill yet...but whatever it was, it was worth it. Yum.

(3) Finally...I forgot to add my daughter's sentiment about GCH: Mom, this is the best hotel ever...can we live here? (Wouldn't that be nice?)

nvmom
11-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Great report! Sounds like a wonderful time.
I love to live vicariously thru those of you who stay at the Grand... :)

Theresa

Disneymomma
11-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip, I always love to read peoples reports! Thanks! :)

disneyhound
11-20-2005, 06:50 AM
... Sorry this got so long. Thanks again to all those who participate here...

I love trip reports! I don't think I have ever read someone objecting to a trip report that is too long. I love to read all the detail, it's like a visit through someone elses eyes! Thanks for your report; did you forget to tell us about anything...:p

rentayenta
11-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Great report!