PDA

View Full Version : First time-How many nights?

Pages : [1] 2

Stitch1404
11-19-2005, 10:31 AM
I am going to Disneyland for the first time in July and I am wondering how many nights I should stay. I am voting for 5 nights. That would give us 1.5 days for California Adventrue and 1.5 days for Disneyland and 1 day to enjoy the hotel (Grand Californian) or Downtown Disney. However, no one else agrees with me. They all think you need two days max at the parks and 3 nights. Help me! I feel like we need to go longer since we've never been so we don't feel rushed. Also, we live in Ohio, so it's not like it's a short commute. How long does everyone usually go for?

geoffa
11-19-2005, 10:55 AM
I am going to Disneyland for the first time in July and I am wondering how many nights I should stay. I am voting for 5 nights. That would give us 1.5 days for California Adventrue and 1.5 days for Disneyland and 1 day to enjoy the hotel (Grand Californian) or Downtown Disney. However, no one else agrees with me. They all think you need two days max at the parks and 3 nights. Help me! I feel like we need to go longer since we've never been so we don't feel rushed. Also, we live in Ohio, so it's not like it's a short commute. How long does everyone usually go for?
If your friends think you can whizz around the parks in two days then good luck to them. If you want to see all the parades, fireworks, shows etc you can do it at a more paced out rate.Admittedly, the California park can be done in a day unless its totally packed out. All my guidebooks indicate that temperatures by day should be low to mid 80s in July and EVERY Saturday will be busy - they are year round. Monday and Friday are the next busiest at that time of year. If you must visit over a weekend in July then include a Sunday. The park is most crowded from beginning of summer thru Labour Day weekend. I'd go with your plan - enjoy! Given that 2 weeks at WDW isn't enough to do everything and that's 4 parks plus waterparks I think 5 days for DL Resort is probably ideal. Others may disagree but that's what these forums are about:)

Wendi
11-19-2005, 01:55 PM
I would say at least 4 nights 5 days... that will give you a chance to do what you want without rushing, especially if they are busy days. If you have kids, things take much longer and there are more unexpected things that come up preventing you from sticking to a schedule. I've been to DLR a lot, and I still like having 5 full days to roam while I'm there.

disneyperson
11-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Stay as long as you afford to. You'll be able to relax and enjoy the shows, parades ,and music if you don't feel you have to rush to get it all in. It will be busy in July and the crowds won't be as much of an issue if you have some extra time.

Susan L
11-19-2005, 04:56 PM

We are veterans of the Disneyland experience and we always go for at least 7 nights. Reasons are: we only get to go every 18 months or so, we don't like to rush around, we like to have part of our time there during the week days and some for the weekends, and if we want to go do something else we can.

I think your voting for 5 nights is a good choice if you could swing more do so, especially if this is your first time. You will be able to take your time and see everything. July is a very busy month so you want to be able to not rush around.

DianeM
11-19-2005, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't plan for less than 3 days at the parks, especially during July, which is going to be crowded. Four might be better. My husband and I generally travel to DL during the slow season, when you can easily ride every roller coaster in the park in one day plus take in a few other features, and find that we can do most of both parks in 2 days, but we like to take 3 so that we can relax and not have to rush. I wouldn't plan for a whole day for downtown Disney, though. It's really just a shopping area - you don't need a day for it.

And keep in mind, there are other things to do in the area. San Diego Zoo is very nice, as is the Wild Animal Park. A lot of people like Sea World.

SeansMom
11-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Stay as long as you afford to. You'll be able to relax and enjoy the shows, parades ,and music if you don't feel you have to rush to get it all in. It will be busy in July and the crowds won't be as much of an issue if you have some extra time.

Yeah, what dineyperson said! I mean, you're coming all the way from OHIO and only going to stay 3 nights???? :eek: . Take some time to explore the parks and spend half a day at the beach or medival dinner or something else. Let the magic sink in!

experiment626
11-19-2005, 05:49 PM
You need at least 2 days for Disneyland, 1 full day for DCA. Plus at least a half day for exploring DTD and hotels.

My vote would be at least 4 full days / 5 nights. If you can swing it stay later. the parks are so much more fun if you can do them at a leisurely pace, enjoying the sites and sounds instead rushing around. But deffiently no less then 3 days or you will feel cheated.

disneyhound
11-19-2005, 05:50 PM
We go every year, we stay four nights, and try for five days in the parks, if our flight schedule permits. We are always saddened on our last day, wishing we could stay another day!

annieb727
11-19-2005, 06:29 PM
we just got back from spending 10 nights at DL (in october) -- it was AWESOME!! we now want our annual trip to be that length...lots of time to do everything you want to see and do!! We covered two full weekends and got a whole week in there ... we had so much FUN!

I would stay as long as you can...the longer you're there the more relaxed you will be -- you'll have more time to get all the stuff done...and enjoy your favorites over and over!! I would have a hard time going for less than 4 nights (which is what we're doing for our anniversary -- though no little ones with us this time, so we should get more done).

Stitch1404
11-20-2005, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by DianeM:
San Diego Zoo is very nice

Okay, I admit I am geographically challenged...is this within driving distance from Disneyland?

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
11-20-2005, 07:29 AM
5 if you are staying at the resort, 7-10 if you are traveling around Southern California.

rentayenta
11-20-2005, 08:18 AM
I would say 4 nights minimum. Disneyland will take 2 full days in July and you will want another day to enjoy your favorites again. DCA takes a day and if you want to do DTD and check out the hotels, that's another 1/2 to full day.

The last thing you want to be is rushed. In July it is going to be hot and you might want to break midday to swim and get away from the crowds.

Whatever you decide- have fun! :D

geoffa
11-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Okay, I admit I am geographically challenged...is this within driving distance from Disneyland?
It's about 50 to 60 miles south of Disneyland. Take the I-5 it passes right by Balbao Park where the zoo is located.:)

DianeM
11-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Someone already gave directions, but I just want to say that compared to the distance between Ohio and DL, it's very close. And it is a wonderful zoo. World class. If you want something simpler, and closer, look up the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. It's not nearly as fancy as Sea World or the San Diego Zoo, but my husband and I were very impressed with it when we visited. I had never petted manta rays or sharks before. Of course, you have a wonderful aquarium much closer - in Chicago - but if you had an extra day and wanted to go to Long Beach (about 30 minutes from Anaheim) to maybe see the Queen Mary or something, it's very worth a visit.

ssturgeo
11-21-2005, 12:12 PM
I live in Indiana...went for 7 nights in June....just returned yesterday from 8 nights. Was able to do absolutely everything, enjoy the DLH, pool, etc. July will be busier...longer lines....

When I am traveling that far, I want to make it worth my time and money!!

Besides...I NEVER have enough days at Disneyland...no matter how long the trip. If I could retire and afford to live back in Calif. again, I would try sooo hard to get a job there!!

GrumpyUTboi
11-21-2005, 02:35 PM
We started with 3.5 days at DL then 5 days and then 6 days. We now spend 8 nights at DL and 6 full days at the parks. With 4 kids it is just the right amount of time for our small family to see everything and ride all of our favorite rides over and over again if we so desire.

Disneymomma
11-21-2005, 02:41 PM
You need 5 days.

We did 5 days last time, and we are doing 5 days again this time. I wouldn't go for less then 5.
There is too much to see.
I would rather be able to go at a leisurely pace then running around frantically trying to get it all in.
The shows are all a must-see, plus there is the Animation building, besides all the rides!
TAKE 5!!

Donald Duck Fan68
11-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Do your best to lobby for the most days possible. You need 2 days minimum at DL alone, but 3 is better. DCA can be done in a day, but make it a day and a half for a more relaxing pace and then repeat your favorite rides.

Another important note, it will be during the busy summer, so you want to allow for more time due to crowds.

I'm going during the busy Christmas season, and I'm starting to think the 7 night 6.5 days planned isn't going to be enough.

My suggestion, push for staying 6 nights and plan on 5 days in the parks. That way, each day you can take an afternoon hotel/pool/downtown Disney break and you're not feeling rushed to fit everything in. The afternoons are usually the busiest times in the parks.

annieb727
11-21-2005, 03:16 PM
well, want to let you know...we still rushed around on our 10 day trip...we wanted to do EVERYTHING about a million time LOL

ima_mickeyfan
11-21-2005, 06:27 PM
I think no less than 5 days for just parks alone.. we went the 2nd week of sept. and it was pretty crowded..we didn't get to do everything and I felt totally rushed..we were even there 6 nights. Of course I was doing all the planning for our vaction family of 6 plus 2 extra adults.. I had to think for everyone...was not a very enjoyable vacation...I don't feel like it was very relaxing...so make sure that everyone turns their brains on and don't think for them!! :confused: :) :~D

Bolivar
11-21-2005, 06:41 PM
I was at a friend's house for dinner on Friday and when the talk turned towards our upcoming Disneyland trip, a friend asked the length of our stay. When I said three days she was incredulous and couldn't believe we would go there for three days. I mean she was shocked with a capital S. She said that her husband's max is 6 hours and he is really complaining at that. She make one full day but that would be it.

I doubt anyone who would post on this board would fall into that camp, but given a bell curve of people and how many days they would want to stay at Disneyland, I'm guess that folks here are outliers on the longer side of that bell curve.

The thing with Disneyland is that if you want to go there, ride the rides and see the fireworks, you can do that in a couple days. But that isn't what Disneyland is all about, it is the experience. You desire for that experience and how much you want to soak in it is really the question.

I'm going for three days and I'll be satisfied with that. I would fall into a fit of ecstasy if I could go for five, ahhhhHHHHHHHhhhh.....

sambo
11-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Everyone but you are nuts.

Are they the type who stop by and visit someone for 15 minutes and run out the door? Do they listen to 20 seconds of a song and change stations? It is very clear to me that they do not care for Disney very much.

Five days is an absolute minimum for anyone who does not come several times a year. I recommend at least a week.

If you need to convince them - download online maps of Disneyland and DCA. Then ask them what they do not want to see. Make them point out at least half of the attractions. In the crowds of July there is no way you will be able to experience more than half the Disneyland attractions in 1.5 days - even if you run fast between attractions, never stop to eat or go the rest room, don't shop, and maximize your use of fastpass (missing the scenery and detail in the queues in some cases). Thinking that you can have a full and satisfying Disneyland experience in less than three days is like thinking that you can finance the trip by winning the lottery. It just ain't gonna happen no matter how many fingers you have crossed.

If you can't convince them - take a later flight home and stay the extra days. It's your vacation too...

I Heart Disneyland!
11-21-2005, 10:25 PM
I'd stay as long as possible! If you are already going, and you can take the time from work...I'd stay a lot longer than 3 nights! That simply isn't enough for a first time trip. I stay a lot longer than that, and I've been going there since the 1960's! ha!

KRA0125
11-22-2005, 07:29 AM
We were there last week, initially for 3 days but decided to upgrade to 4 days because as everyone has said, there is never enough Disneyland. We had 3 adults and one 3 yr old and definately used all of the time we were there. WE did go on several rides more than once and saw the parade twice but it was all the more fun. Plus no rushing through meals or worrying about missing anything. A perfect trip, but wish we had even more time.