PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Character memories

Pages : [1] 2

I love Peter Pan
11-19-2005, 06:59 AM
What's everyone's favorite character memory? Mine is when I went about a year and a half ago, all of the people I went with and I were invited to play charades by the Mad Hatter (he pronouced it "sha-rod-es!") It was very fun. Then the Queen of Hearts stopped the game, and wanted to marry this one guy against his will. All throughout the wedding he tried to leave, but she was lached onto him! I was her bride's maid! It was very fun! I think it's very cool how the characters will do that sort of stuff with you, especially the adults who really don't interact with the characters as much as the kids do!

Wendi
11-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Just this month...

Max has been afraid of the characters for a while now. Just the big fuzzies, not the face characters. Anyway, he just would hide his face if they came around and wouldn't interact with them. They understood and didn't push him.

Well, he was like this still on the first two days of our trip. Then we had breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe on Wednesday. Chip came by, I talked to Chip, Max turned away. Several minutes went by, and Koda came by. He saw that Max was a bit shy, he made a point of interacting with me and helping to show Max that he was a nice bear. He got Max to give him "four", then sat in the booth with him for a while and played. From that moment on Max liked the fuzzies again, and I'm very grateful for that!!! Thanks, Koda!

mickeynminnie
11-19-2005, 06:38 PM
When we went on our last trip with our just 20 month old, we waited patiently twice in a row (in long Saturday lines) to meet Pooh, because the little guy just wanted to see him again. Well what came out of the second moment when it was his turn has turned into my most precious memory in any of the Disney parks. He was so excited that it was his turn that he ran at full speed (after I told him it was ok) and threw himself into Pooh's arms, saying "Pooh" over and over again. I still get a hitch in my chest just thinking about it.

mi_mous
11-19-2005, 11:18 PM
We were there on one of the most crowded days, May 5th, 2005. We went to Toon Town while the castle celebration was going on, since we couldn't see anything anyways..

Right as we went to town square, Goofy and Donald came out of the doors. My son went over to say hi to Donald, and Donald took his hand and just started to walk with him, for a long time!! Then, he stopped at one of those talking man holes, and started to show the kids that it made noise. I got the cutest pictures from it, and was soo surprised that we caught those moments on one of the most crowded days!

Disneymomma
11-20-2005, 04:45 AM
We went to special early entry to Toontown one moring, and my daughter got to ride on the Gadget Coaster with Minnie Mouse.
She still talks about how Minnie elbowed her in the head when she lifted her arms up on the ride!!

KRA0125
11-21-2005, 09:19 AM
We were just at the park last week and my son (3 yrs old) got to meet Cinderella, those princess lines are soooo long. Anyway, we get to the front and he was so excited and nervous he was just barely whispering answers to her questions. He has the hugest crush on her. So she asked him if he would like to sit on her lap for the photo and I thought he was going to go thru the roof he gave her the biggest hug and sat on her lap for the picture. All of the others photos have that typical fake smile that most kids get at some point but this is the best photo ever, a geniune smile ear to ear. Priceless.

ssturgeo
11-21-2005, 11:44 AM
When my son was 2 1/2 his favorite book was Snow White...every night...the LONG Disney version...and he was thrilled at Disneyland when he got to meet her. She picked him up in her arms and talked to him a long time...that was back in the days BEFORE lines, specific character greeting times, etc. When we were ready to move on his dad tried to take him out of her arms telling him we needed to go on to ... whatever the next ride was...and he said "No, I am going to stay with Snow White"!! I have a wonderful picture of them together!!

Seashellmama
11-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I was always scared/distrustful of the characters as a kid. One time when I was there when I was probably 10, maybe 11 years old, running around the park on my own with my best friend, we encountered Cap'n Hook. My friend was a character-liker, and insisted we see him and take our pictures- I took a picture of her, and then it was my turn, and I really didn't want to, and somehow as Hook put his hooked arm around me I leaned sort of away and his hook POKED ME IN THE EYE. Ow! I have an awful picture of me with my head dragging to the side with Hook's arm around my neck.

OK, maybe not a favorite memory, but one of my few real character memories (from the mid-70's, even).

BayAreaDisneyFan
11-21-2005, 01:03 PM
It's funny, we had the same experience with Alice inviting my daughters to play charades - they had a BLAST! Also had a lot of fun with Alice at the character breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen - played tug-of-war with one daughter using the other daughter's pigtails It made for a great picture.

Another standout was a great visit with Pocahontas when no on else was around - first character my youngest would actually warm up and talk to.

Best ever was a visit on Tom Sawyer Island with Tom and Huck. They took the kids all over exploring, lots of clowning around and one-on-one time.

WITron
11-21-2005, 09:44 PM
I have a couple from when I worked at the park. The first one was when I was working at the lunching pad, the snack bar that was under the people mover. One day when I was working there the 3 little pigs came out and one of them came up to a couple of teenage girls that were eating there. He was playing with them and at one point pretended to take a drink of their soda. Shortly after he came up to me and said "They aren't bad are they?" I couldn't help bust bust up laughing.

The other one was one day a friend of mine and I were coming up Main Street and Jafar was out. The next thing I know he is pointing to me and motioning to me to come over. When we get over there he says "What's up?" I knew right away that it was the guy that had played Beast during the musical when I had worked at the theatre.

hlbtimes2
11-21-2005, 10:15 PM
During our Dec 03 trip we had the best experience with Tigger at the plaza breakfast. He worked and worked to get my almost 2 year old to warm up to him. We was playing peekaboo, running with his arm out- like a flying airplane, etc. Then he grabbed my 5 year old and rolled around on the floor with her. Literally rolled on the floor. It was the funniest thing to watch. She had the hugest laughing smile on her face. My son never did warm up.

I Heart Disneyland!
11-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Strange as this is, it was this October! Hubby & I were by the castle and the Fairy Godmother was there. She was the sweetest lady, and spoke so softly. She was signing autographs, and said to us, "I would love a photo with the two of you". I felt like a little kid in a 44 year old body! She was so darn sweet!!!!

CrazyTrain
11-22-2005, 10:26 AM
On my birthday, Peter Pan and I had a fun little conversation about never growing up. :D

The best that didn't happen to me was at Storyteller's, when Dale sat down with a guy who was dining by himself and proceeded to have coffee with him!

Vegitabeta
11-22-2005, 11:12 AM
I ran and hid from Jafar when I was six lol. (Lots of good hiding places in Adventureland!;))

DangerMouse
11-22-2005, 11:19 AM
On my two year old daughter's first trip to DL, she kept saying all the way there that she was going to sleep with Sleeping Beauty in her castle. I had to break it to her that the Castle is closed for visitors, and that she wouldn't be allowed to sleep in there. Yet, she insisted over and over again, that she WAS going to sleep with Sleeping Beauty! I told her that she would have to talk to Sleeping Beauty about that.

Well, we found Aurora in the Animation Building in DCA. My dd was the first in line to see her. When she walked up to her and said "I want to sleep with you." Aurora said "What did you say?" My dd repeated herself. And Aurora, said "Allright." and proceeded to lay down on the floor and layed out her dress for my dd to lay on. The laid down for about 3 minutes for a little nap. Aurora asked my dd if they could wake up, and my dd said "Nope! Still sleepy!" So they kept napping! My mom and I were in tears! We were so grateful that she took my dd's request seriously. It made our trip PERFECT and my dd still talks about sleeping with Sleeping Beauty. I heard Aurora ask the photographer to make sure she got a copy of the photo, too. So I know it was a special event for her too.
:D

Vegitabeta
11-22-2005, 11:38 AM
DangerMouse, that is sooo sweet!

kirstie_29
11-22-2005, 11:40 AM
What a great story. I love that they are so accomodating, especially to little ones. It really makes their day.

Disneymomma
11-22-2005, 11:48 AM
We were over behind where WWTBAM was. Sully came out from one of the buildings, and my 6 year old son went running towads him. Sully came running towards my son too, with his arms outstretched. They both had to run about 50 feet. When they reached each other, Sully grabbed my son and swung him around and around and hugged him.

It was sooooo cute! Like a slow motion movie, with them running towards each other!

ToursbabeC3po
11-22-2005, 11:59 AM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d10/katmeow25/moneybusi.jpg

This was taken at Animal Kingdom in 2002. I have never had more fun with a character in my life. He was joking around with me for about 10 mins and by the time I had left he had a crowd of about 30 and was entertaining them. Very entertaining Character :-)

olegc
11-22-2005, 12:00 PM
this one for me is great only because it was unique. I was about 8- and we were taking a picture with Pluto for my mom - at Town Square. I kept looking at Pluto and staring at his face - and then a voice said "turn around and look at your mom". I whipped around and froze! Pluto talked!

the other was getting a big hug from Goofy at 7am on 7/17 this year - dad to dad. That was a great feeling of "being home". Hey - what a great slogan! :p

cstephens
11-22-2005, 04:25 PM
We've always had very good luck with characters, even when there have been no children in our party.

Plaza Inn - Tigger using a balloon to rub the top of a friend's head to create static electricity, and then later trying to communicate to a cashier CM that Tigger wanted the CM to unfold a paper napkin for him because he couldn't do it himself.

Plaza Inn - Tigger stealing my shoe and then taking it with him when he went on a break.

Ariel's Grotto - There to celebrate a friend's birthday, and Chip and Dale and Goofy were all very animated that day.

PCH Grill - On one Easter brunch visit, we showed Donald that there was a duck item on the menu. He took the menu and stormed up to the hostess' podium and had a fit.

PCH Grill - On another Easter brunch visit, I was so happy that Thumper was there, so we were able to get a picture of Big Thumper with Little Thumper (http://colddeadfish.net/images/easter02/easter-thumperx2.jpg). However, Pluto wasn't as happy to see Little Thumper... (http://colddeadfish.net/images/easter02/easter-stomp.jpg)

Big Thunder Country Picnic - We had a great time with Meeko there, who was apparently well versed in Fantasmic. We've even got video of him with a friend reenacting a scene from Fantasmic, and I think my friend said I could put the video on our site, but I have to confirm with her before I do it.

leota's necklace
11-24-2005, 08:25 PM
I almost always have at least one great interaction with characters.

The first year the HMH opened, my husband and I had the last ride one night. We were totally alone in the elevator and when we entered the hallway, a tall, Lurch-esque butler appeared out of "nowhere" and tapped me on the shoulder. I turned in surprise, and then we waltzed down the hallway.

We had most of the Goofy's Kitchen crew standing around our table making portrait requests of my husband, who tends to draw on the tablecloths. Goofy did a drawing of himself for us.

And if you ever get the chance, watch Snow and her Stepmother working together. Their interaction, particularly when fueled by children, is usually priceless.

SandraVB79
11-25-2005, 01:59 AM
PCH Grill - On one Easter brunch visit, we showed Donald that there was a duck item on the menu. He took the menu and stormed up to the hostess' podium and had a fit.

We showed Donald that at DLP, he was so mad about it! ;)
Especially since I was eating it! (oh, it was SO good, before I showed him that. Afterwards I felt bad I was eating one of Donald's family members...)

donaldquackers
11-25-2005, 06:26 AM
In August I had 3 three years old with me so there were lots of meltdowns. It seemed anytime a meltdown occured, a CM or a charactor can out of the woodwork and helped us through it. One time a CM asked if Desi would like to meet the princesses. He took us into the animation building, and took us to the front of the line and let her meet each princess. Meltdown over. Another time we were waiting for the parade and Desi fell asleep. Eyeore came and laid down of the street and put his head on her for a pillow and slept for 5 minutes. Way cool. With all the labor disputes, I have to say that CM's are the best. No other park has people that try so hard to fulfill your dreams

I Heart Disneyland!
11-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Great idea to post a photo, Toursbabe! This is our photo in October of my memorable moment with the Fairy Godmother, she was adorable!!! Like I said above, she made me feel like a little kid in a 44 year old's body! Too sweet!