PDA

View Full Version : Compare/Contrast: Fantasmic!

dflores
11-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Hola,

Out of curiosity is there a difference between our show and the one playing in the Florida resort? I was listening to Subsonic's awesome station; Disney Theme Park and Attraction Music, and saw a file titled "Fantasmic:MGM Studios - Mickey and the Lamp" ( I know there are no elements from Alladin in the Anaheim show).

Just Wonderin'.

Thanks,

Daniel :)

Vegitabeta
11-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Well unless they have changed the WDW show, I can assure you that there is nothing to do with Aladdin in there! The DL Fantasmic has the Peter Pan scene where WDW has their Pocahontas scene. The DL Fantasmic also has the pink elephants section and the Pinochio routine, which WDW does not have. I can't think of anything else right now, but I hope that helps!

mariogarza
11-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Actually, from day one at WDW's F! they have a whole segment of Aladdin, it was added from the DL version and didn't replaced any segment...

It's just before the dragon, when all the villians go laughing ends with jafar and converts into a cobra...mickey fights with the cobra, then comes the dragon...just before the dragon it has this song, Mickey and The Lamp...

The major changes are this addition of Jafar's Cobra, the Pocahontas battle instead of the Peter Pan fight and also the Pinnochio and Pink Elephants section was replaced with a video they call Dancing Bubbles, which has a songs and images from about 15 movies...quite cool...

With the exception of the Peter Pan fight and the Mark Twain appearance at DL's F! I think overall the florida version is way better...

Chiidesu
11-20-2005, 10:08 PM
The major changes are this addition of Jafar's Cobra, the Pocahontas battle instead of the Peter Pan fight and also the Pinnochio and Pink Elephants section was replaced with a video they call Dancing Bubbles, which has a songs and images from about 15 movies...quite cool...

For some reason the "Dancing Bubbles" segment kinda bothers me... Anyways, I love Disneyland's a lot more, but I guess I'm just biased :/

ChipmunkStar
11-20-2005, 11:23 PM
The "Dancing Bubbles" sequenceS are WAY long, overdone, and drawn out. THere is a first bubble sequence with random characters that have NOTHING to do with any other element in the show, then there is a second one with the villains (there is nearly the same sequence to Disneyland's which is then expanded with other villains such as Cruella DeVille and Jafar).

Other differences:
-The Kaa/Flowers/Dancing monkey sequence is cut and replaced by a Lion King segment which includes the dancing monkeys in the replacement sequence.

-Mickey and the Lamp

-Pocahontas segment replacing the Peter Pan segment. It starts with Ratcliffe and the settlers digging for gold, then continues with the Indians in canoes and a battle between the two groups. All falls silent with Pocahontas and John Smith appearing atop the large rock stage/wall, looking at each other, raising their arms to one another... and then next segment. Very anticlimatic and annoying.

-There are more Disney Princesses that appear via waterscreen in the "Snow/Ariel/Belle" part... including shots of Jasmine and Aladdin on the magic carpet, Aurora and Phillip, etc.

-The show is not performed in the Magic Kingdom on Tom Sawyer Island, but rather in the Disney-MGM Studios park in a large amphitheater with a VERY large stage. There is more use of the waterscreens (BO-ring!), but there are more water effects used, which is kind of neat.

-The Mark Twain versus the "Steamboat Willie" PVC pipe boat. While the Mark Twain is HUGE with about 45 characters, the Steamboat Willie thing uses maybe half of that... and is less than half the size.

Hands down, Disneyland's original version of the show is much more immersive and exciting, with WDW's version going way overboard with the mist screens and lack of cool sequence (aka the Pan scene). Of course... those are the differences I happened to notice the last 3 or 4 times I saw WDW's... and the 500 times I've seen DL's.

SandraVB79
11-21-2005, 03:38 AM
I have only seen the WDW version on video, and I didn't like it, because it is so "clean". At DL, they use attractions in their show, at WDW everything is made especially for the show. The DL-version is more "charming"
Maybe if I ever see the WDW version in real life, I will like it, but I seriously doubt that...

Vegitabeta
11-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Oh of course, that snake is Jafar...Sorry!

mckygirl99
11-21-2005, 09:05 AM
I just saw the show in FL a couple of weeks ago and even my husband, who tires of seeing the DLR show with me all the time, was disappointed. To me, the only thing I can possibly think of that's better is that they have a stadium. But I felt so removed from the show, not part of it like how I am at DL. The Aladdin part was bizarre as well as the Pocahontas section. The way Mickey slays the dragon at the end seemed distant, like the dragon was doing one thing and Mickey another. At the end, my 5 year old said, "Well, that was weird," and I think that sums it up.

Chiidesu, I don't think we're biased but just know a good thing when we see it!