PDA

View Full Version : Screamin' launch

I love Peter Pan
11-18-2005, 02:53 PM
I know they had to put the little countdown in the lauch for Screamin', but I liked it without it :crying: ! I figured out when we were going though. When the track would make a big swoosh sound, you had to countdown from 5. That's what they do now on a recording. It was just more fun to not be forewarned, even though I knew when we were going!

DianeM
11-18-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm with you. The first time my husband and I went on Screamin, he thought that the pause was due to a malfunction or to give some disabled people time to board the ride (like on HM). I didn't think so... they don't generally "pause" roller coasters to let people get on. It was a real suprise when it took off, and we love suprises. A countdown will seriously diminish the impact of that takeoff. I'm glad we rode it first before the countdown was added.

charpaul
11-18-2005, 05:59 PM
I have been riding it for three + years now - it has ALWAYS had the countdown on it...... Was there a time when it did not??? If so I don't remember it.

StonePrincess
11-18-2005, 09:46 PM
I remember when there was no countdown! I loved the thrill of waiting for it to send you off! :D

Another Dimension
11-19-2005, 05:52 AM
I have been riding it for three + years now - it has ALWAYS had the countdown on it...... Was there a time when it did not??? If so I don't remember it.

Cali operated a couple (or is it a few) years before the countdown was added.

The countdown is ok..
the recently added trim brakes are BAH!

I love Peter Pan
11-19-2005, 06:04 AM

The countdown is pretty new. I think they added it about a year ago. Like I think late 2004/early 2005.

ThomasCanty
11-19-2005, 06:48 AM
I'm with charpaul. I don't remember the countdown not being there, and I've been going for years.

Alex S.
11-19-2005, 07:37 AM
The countdown was added sometime around the end of April, early May 2003.

I don't know if it was ever explicitly stated, but the general assumption is that it was added to make sure people would have their heads (literally) in the right place when the launch happened rather than leaning forward or looking ot the sides when the launch would snap their heads back.

charpaul
11-19-2005, 07:55 AM
The things you learn on here - LOL

What I miss on Screamin' is the wave crash that used to hit just before the launch. The wave generators have not been working for a LONG time....
(OK - I also miss the music/soundtrack - LOL)

SandraVB79
11-20-2005, 11:24 AM
I missed the soundtrack the most on the green train. Apparantly it worked on the red train, but out of 8 times, I had 7 times th egreen train, argh!

I love the music near the end of the ride, when you have those three "waves" you go just up and down
I love listenig to my DCA CD, and reliving that moment when I hear that part of the song!

TowerofTerror
11-20-2005, 11:42 AM
I missed it too the soundtrack.

I love Peter Pan
11-20-2005, 05:21 PM
How come the soundtrack doesn't work anymore? I'm tempted to take my iPod on the ride when I go and play the soundtrack myself! LOL!

10-97
11-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Actually, I'm thankful for the countdown. The first time I rode Screamin', I wasn't paying attention at launch, and I smacked my head into the headrest. I had a headache for about 30 minutes.

annieb727
11-20-2005, 05:53 PM
i miss the soundtrack alot too -- it just adds so much to the ride...

Another Dimension
11-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Some of the trains still have music sometimes, and the wave machine was actually working last Wednesday.
I didn't get hit by any waves before launch though.. on any of my 5 rides. :|

I love Peter Pan
11-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Actually, I'm thankful for the countdown. The first time I rode Screamin', I wasn't paying attention at launch, and I smacked my head into the headrest. I had a headache for about 30 minutes.

Even before the countdown they told you to face forward and keep your head against the headrest as soon as you rounded the first corner to stop. To me, the countdown was put there for guests who can't follow directions. Even now, as I watch people in different cars go while looking for my dad or my sister to appear, people still don't keep their heads back, even with the countdown. If guests actually somewhat followed directions at Disneyland, I don't think the CMs would know what to do with themselves! LOL! Their job would be a world easier.

Disneyfreak
11-21-2005, 09:36 AM
They added the warning and the countdown at the sametime. Prior to that it was just silent and you would take off without anyone knowing when. Me personally I think they should just have the guy tell you to keep your head forward, not the countdown.

Chadsgal
11-21-2005, 11:37 AM
I remember the lack of countdown and I agree that I don't mind it due to that w/o it everyone I went with would hit thier heads really bad on the back of the seat cause they weren't expecting it. So now it gives us all time to press our heads back and wait. LOL! :D