PDA

View Full Version : What's different between Indiana Jones 1993 and today?

Pages : [1] 2

Noah
11-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi, if we were to ride Indiana Jones ride in 1993 what would be different about the ride compared to riding it today?
I heard there were some show effects that are no longer in the attraction.

TowerofTerror
11-17-2005, 10:02 PM
the jeeps arn`t as rough as they were back when the ride opened in 1993.

Maleficent Fan
11-17-2005, 10:18 PM
1993? Didn't it open in like 95 or something?

Andrew
11-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Hi, if we were to ride Indiana Jones ride in 1993 what would be different about the ride compared to riding it today?
I heard there were some show effects that are no longer in the attraction.
One very important difference is that the attraction had not yet been built in 1993. It opened in March of '95.

The only significant show effect missing is the ice fall, which occurred as you crossed the bridge.

Disneyfreak
11-18-2005, 01:06 AM
The jeeps are not as thrilling. I liked it way more when the ride actually would give you a thrill.

Gone2Disneyland
11-18-2005, 07:15 AM
the jeeps arn`t as rough as they were back when the ride opened in 1993.
You know, that's what I thought too after a four or five year lapse between first riding and then riding it more recently. I remember not liking being jostled so much the first time I rode it. Years later, I enjoyed it MUCH more, but assumed I was just a jerk for not liking it the first time. :p

As for differences between the opening version and now, I think there's a couple. One is the projected of spiders onto the fog; I think now it's a better, cleaner film projection. And lately that dark tunnel you travel thru, I didn't remember it and thought there must've been something going on in there in the past. Am I wrong, anyone?

MonorailChris
11-18-2005, 08:39 AM
1)in the line,they would hand you a decoder card,so while waiting in the 3 hour plus line you could read the walls.
2)in the spike room if you touched the large bamboo pole it would make the roof and sides go down with a loud roar.(it still works sometimes)
3)in the well if you pull the rope it would say different sayings(it still works sometimes)
4)after you see the first "indy" and you make the turn to see mara,a lazer beam would shot out of her eyes directly above the turn you make very sharply and debree(ice) would fall.
5)the jeeps were much rougher,but people were coming off with nose bleeds and neck pain.( i worked the opening mostly little kids)
6)the wind in the mummy room has been turned down due to all the lost hats.(if you ever looked down on the floor when it first opened you would see so many hats ,it was funny)
7)i remember when going across the bridge the jeep would stall out(wink,wink)and a lazer beam would hit the back of the jeep and a small amount of smoke would come out
8)when you would go behind mara the was a ghost above that would get highlighted very bright now you have to really look at it
9) when exiting from behind mara a lazer beam would shoot out by the jeeps left side and fire would come out(i havent seen this in a while,now just smoke comes up)
10)the rat room projection of the rats on the tree limb falling onto you is much clearer and it is on almost all the time
11)and in my opinon the best boulder effect is when you pull up to indy, he is almost in the middle of the jeep, then back up a little then go forward and drop.(sometimes you just pull up and indy is in front of the jeep then you drop, not as good)
thats some of the stuff i've noticed

annieb727
11-18-2005, 09:12 AM
710)the rat room projection of the rats on the tree limb falling onto you is much clearer and it is on almost all the time

i don't remember seeing that the last time i was at DL...used to see it and it was always kind of freaky! wonder why they did away with that??

Noah
11-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the input!
Regarding the Ice or debris falling, where did that occur exactly I cannot picture it in my mind. Did the Debris fall to the side or infront of the car?

Why is there a section of the ride towards the end when nearing the spear gun shooting scene in which there is like 30 or more seconds going through darkness? The jeep is supposed to have headlights, it would have been a nice effect to have the lights perhaps flicker a bit and then shut off like they broke. It would make the darkness make sense. There must be a reason behind the 30 seconds of darkness, is it a show effect or just to keep you from seeing behind the scenes?

Perdie
11-18-2005, 12:41 PM
I also noticed lately that the skeletons don't fall out at you anymore (or at least in September they didn't) but maybe there was something wrong with the ride.

Micki0624
11-18-2005, 03:33 PM
I remember when you would enter the "temple," right behind the bridge fire would shoot up in sync with the soundtrack. I thought fire would shoot up when you stalled on the bridge also.

Tinkermommy
11-18-2005, 06:47 PM
I also noticed lately that the skeletons don't fall out at you anymore (or at least in September they didn't) but maybe there was something wrong with the ride.

There must have been a problem when you went, because two sets still jump out at you. (My little girl LOVES this ride, but won't open her eyes until we've passed the skeleton 'surprises'...)

jazzysmom
11-18-2005, 07:31 PM
I am probably dreaming this, but when it first opened couldn't you walk up the steps into the temple?

WITron
11-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the input!
Regarding the Ice or debris falling, where did that occur exactly I cannot picture it in my mind. Did the Debris fall to the side or infront of the car?

This happened on the right hand side of the vehicle. I knew someone that had worked at WDI and on that element of the ride.

evrythngwmn
11-18-2005, 08:57 PM
One of the things that everyone seems to forget is that the ride is supposed to have something like 1,000 variants so that each time you ride it is different. I've found lately that they don't seem to vary things as much as they used to. So if you find that the skeleton didn't jump out at you it's not always supposed to. Your car should stall in varying spots for varying lengths. I think I rode the thing more than a dozen times before that god like imagine roared at me in the room with all the skulls and candles.

Vegitabeta
11-19-2005, 01:21 AM
1)in the line,they would hand you a decoder card,so while waiting in the 3 hour plus line you could read the walls.
2)in the spike room if you touched the large bamboo pole it would make the roof and sides go down with a loud roar.(it still works sometimes)
3)in the well if you pull the rope it would say different sayings(it still works sometimes)
4)after you see the first "indy" and you make the turn to see mara,a lazer beam would shot out of her eyes directly above the turn you make very sharply and debree(ice) would fall.
5)the jeeps were much rougher,but people were coming off with nose bleeds and neck pain.( i worked the opening mostly little kids)
6)the wind in the mummy room has been turned down due to all the lost hats.(if you ever looked down on the floor when it first opened you would see so many hats ,it was funny)
7)i remember when going across the bridge the jeep would stall out(wink,wink)and a lazer beam would hit the back of the jeep and a small amount of smoke would come out
8)when you would go behind mara the was a ghost above that would get highlighted very bright now you have to really look at it
9) when exiting from behind mara a lazer beam would shoot out by the jeeps left side and fire would come out(i havent seen this in a while,now just smoke comes up)
10)the rat room projection of the rats on the tree limb falling onto you is much clearer and it is on almost all the time
11)and in my opinon the best boulder effect is when you pull up to indy, he is almost in the middle of the jeep, then back up a little then go forward and drop.(sometimes you just pull up and indy is in front of the jeep then you drop, not as good)
thats some of the stuff i've noticed
#5 and #6 are quite interesting! There's some cool stuff in this list, thanks for sharing!

SandraVB79
11-19-2005, 08:36 AM
I am probably dreaming this, but when it first opened couldn't you walk up the steps into the temple?

That is at DLP...

There is one thing I wonder: Right after boarding the jeeps, you go to a first room, with 3 doors. Now, one time, your jeep goes through the right door, another time through the middle door and a third time through the left door. All three trajects go up, and you see that snake-thing and look in its eyes. What I wonder: are there 3 different tracks in the ride, or do they "come together" again at some point? Well, they have to come together at a point, because you have to end up at the same unloading place...
I really wonder about, because it seems that tracks after all 3 doors go up just as much, and then you make that left turn and then...?

I wished Disney would publish a bahind-the-scenes book about the ride!

Bolivar
11-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Take a look at the animated map on this site, it will explain it for you:

http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/decoder.htm

I had found a really good site that explained lots of things about the ride, but I couldn't find it. One tidbit I remember from the site is that when the jeep comes up to Indy and stops, then goes backwards and drops down, this when the bolder is comming. Well it doesn't go backwards at all. That is an illustion created by jerking the walls forward. Apparently the ride in unable to go backward at any point.

The Genii
11-19-2005, 08:46 AM
It's interesting how time plays tricks on the mind. I remember the debris/ice falling on the left side of the jeep just before the end of the bridge. What a fantastic touch it was. It's hard to imagine why they can't keep the icemaker operating!

There is only one track. The room into which your jeep first rides, with the three heads and three doors, is a clever trick: the ENTIRE room shifts from side to side so that it appears you are entering one of three different tracks. In actuality, you are riding on the exact same track no matter which of the three doors you enter through. In Tokyo DisneySea's version of the ride, they eliminated this and there is only one door.

The past few times I've been on Indy this year (May 4, July 14 to 17, and early November) both effects in the queue (falling spiked ceiling and the archeologist in the well) were working.

The rats on the log effect has been fixed by eliminating a draft which used to suck the fog (onto which the image is projected) out of the room.

Recent upgrades have been digital projections of the bugs and spiders on the wall to make them clearer, and a new more robust giant snake.

Still one of the best rides in the world!

twist1980
11-20-2005, 08:21 PM

Its really too bad that they don't hand out those cards anymore. That was the only thing that kept me sane while waiting about 3 hours in line! I have mine in my scrapbook! :)

I think the biggest difference is that you don't have to wait in a three hour line to ride! LOL! :D

Vegitabeta
11-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Its really too bad that they don't hand out those cards anymore. That was the only thing that kept me sane while waiting about 3 hours in line! I have mine in my scrapbook! :)

I think the biggest difference is that you don't have to wait in a three hour line to ride! LOL! :D
I've never been on this ride without using a Fastpass!

tod
11-21-2005, 08:47 AM
One of the things that everyone seems to forget is that the ride is supposed to have something like 1,000 variants so that each time you ride it is different.

True. And if you shuffle a deck of cards and turn over the first ten it'll be different every time you do it. But it's basically the same.

--t

Disneyfreak
11-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Yeah I am very dissappointed about the random sequences. It used to be different everytime you went on it but now it is just 1. Now when they made the ride rougher like it used to be this past May they brought back the randomness to it but shortly after they took it away again.:(

Dexter
11-21-2005, 11:40 AM
It's interesting how time plays tricks on the mind. I remember the debris/ice falling on the left side of the jeep just before the end of the bridge. What a fantastic touch it was. It's hard to imagine why they can't keep the icemaker operating!

The problem with the ice maker was it couldn't keep up with the capacity of the ride. Once the ice fell, the machine would have to make more, it had trouble generating enough ice every 30 seconds to a minute to make the effect worth keeping.

SandraVB79
11-22-2005, 12:13 AM
The problem with the ice maker was it couldn't keep up with the capacity of the ride. Once the ice fell, the machine would have to make more, it had trouble generating enough ice every 30 seconds to a minute to make the effect worth keeping.

My "simple solution" would be: put a second ice machine in there, that way, you double your capacity. Or add it as a random occuring effect: not every car will see it, but one out of 5 or so...