PDA

View Full Version : Grandma Vev's Birthday Trip

adriennek
11-16-2005, 09:17 PM
We had the BEST day today at Disneyland! My son is off-track (year-round school) so Doc took the day off and we took my mom for a belated 60th birthday gift day at the park. Mom has only been to DLR once or maybe maybe twice in the past 15 years and NEVER with my kids! (Can you believe it?) My boys for those who don't know are 7 (M), 4 (S) & 18-months (Cman).

We first went by Thunder to get Fast Passes but they don't have them on weekdays. Just as we were there, the attraction opened so Grandma and M got on the first train of the day. (I'd told M that he could pick Thunder or Matterhorn but we weren't spending all day on coasters that the little boys couldn't ride.) Thunder is Grandma's favorite ride and M taught Grandma the Goat Trick.

Ah... the Goat Trick. :D

Then iasw Holiday. First time for Grandma. They were using the wheelchair loading entrance because the line was so short! When we came off, the regular queue was fuller. Woo-hoo!

Then Alice in Wonderland

Then Teacups- So much fun. My dad isn't a teacup fan so she hasn't been on the teacups much even though she loves them, and my mom had so much fun! She and the big boys spun as much as they could. Cman and I just watched and smiled.

Then we went on the Carousel. M didn't want to but he got over it. Grandma stood between S & Cman and loved it.

We convinced S to go on Mr. Toads by my promising to cover his eyes in the "bad" parts. Just as we entered the building, Doc showed up in Fantasyland (He had to go to work on his day off for a meeting. :mad: )

Lunch at Pizza Port was ok. M insisted on it. They said that the pizza salad had dressing on it but if it did, it was INCREDIBLY light. :confused: It was still tasty but I'm not convinced there was dressing on it. The food was good it just wasn't what I was in the mood for. But M ate every bite of his meal.

Buzz Lightyear was great: Super short line (Weekdays! Who knew?) We had a stop in the first room and Doc and I were aiming at the same diamond for awhile. I was 2000 points away from Level 5. :mad: Doc made 6th place in the Top Ten! We took a picture of the screen. :D

On our way out we stopped at the Information booth to get Grandma a Birthday Sticker. The CM was soooo funny and in character. After he made the sticker he said to my mom, "Ok, so you're Veva, V-E-V-A?" My mom said, "yes" "Ok, well, someone called for you earlier and I didn't know where you were so I switched him to voice mail for you, are you ready to hear your voice mail now?"

Ok, it was a little corny but he played it totally well. He was great. My mom smiled. Everyone got Honorary Citizen Stickers. The group was pleased.

Then we went on S's favorite: Winnie the Pooh. I forgot to show my mom the "heads" from Country Bears. Afterwards we met Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger. Cman has no fear of characters. We couldn't get his older brothers NEAR them at this age! He was soooo adorable! Pooh made a gesture that was not SOP and I said, "I saw that!" He came over and tried to "kiss up" and then tried to "erase my memory." Yeah, well, I have to say, Eeyore and Tigger way outshined Pooh in the photo department. The baby wouldn't look at the camera so even though POOH Is the one with the official staff photographer, Eeyore took the baby and aimed him for my camera and then Tigger.. Tigger put his leg out, sat the baby on his leg, put M in a position and then put his arm around S. OHMYGOODNESSGRACIOUS. IT WAS ADORABLE!!! I was clicking away saying, "oh, THANK YOU TIGGER!"

Cman screamed when we made him leave Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger.

My mom had never been on Tom Sawyer's Island before so we did that next. She followed those big boys through every cave and up and down stairs but she was wearing out!

On our way to see Santa, passing Big Thunder, Doc said, "Did you have S measured today?" We stopped at Thunder and lo and behold, S is over 40" tall! I was shocked. The CM said, "Now, why are you surprised? Don't you know how this works? You give them FOOD and they GROW? Didn't anyone explain this to you?"

S said he was ready for Thunder!!!! Grandma said I should go with them so Doc, M, S & I went on Thunder. Afterwards, S announced that it was "too fast" for him. Oh well. It was cute.

We went to see Santa. The boys looked at the reindeer for part of the wait. M complained about the wait. The line wasn't long and it moved slowly BUT, it was worth every minute! Santa rocked. He talked to the boys and took lots of time with them. At the end we found out that the video camera hadn't worked and Santa offered to spend MORE time with us! I refused and he was beyond sweet! Cman was a pill. He hadn't taken a nap all day and Mr. I Love Characters was crying and not at all into Santa :(

M made some crafts at the craft area and S tossed some wreaths at antlers. They were getting cranky so we went around the corner and found a fruit cart. Yeah! Within 30-seconds the grapes turned M's attitude around and the adults shared a yummy dill pickle.

In Toontown, S announced that the "Cars" were his favorite ride so we went on Roger Rabbit. I'm not really a fan of that ride for babies because they can't lap sit and it gets rough. I tried to keep our car straight and it was just a pain.

Then we went to Mickey's Barn. My strategy is always to let the people in line ahead of us go first. This was great because it gave cranky cman a chance to warm up to Mickey before it was our turn. Mickey was just as gracious as Santa had been and so was his handler. (I think we annoyed the photographer but that's ok.) We took lots of time with Mickey and again, Cman did NOT want to leave when we made him. If you saw an adorable 18-m/o crying coming out of the barn today, he was mad he was leaving, not scarred for life by the Mouse ;)

Grandma, M, S, & Doc rode Gadget's Go-Coaster and then we hit Autopia. M drove Grandma, S drove Doc and Cman drove me. :eek: He was actually pretty good when he bothered to put his hands on the steering wheel. ;)

We took the train to New Orleans Square because S decided he was brave enough for HMH!!!! We all went on it. S hated the stretching room but was fine for everything else. The only time Cman complained was when I covered his ears in the stretching room and I think I'm the thing that he was mad about!

For dinner we debated BBQ at River Belle and El Zocalo and Zocalo won. I had grilled chicken and shrimp, substituting extra pineapple for the potatoes/rice option. (Thank you, AVP for the tip.) Doc had the pork tamales. Grandma had a taco and enchilada but she didn't touch the enchilada because she had too much food. Doc and I helped eat part of it.

Afterwards we hit Jungle Cruise. Skipper Don: Thumbs Up. I was actually entertained. Except he said "Dr. Albert Schwitzer" instead of "Dr. Albert Falls." But he was funny. Grandma didn't know about the pirhanas and laughed. M insisted on sitting inside the boat because he does NOT like the pirhanas at ALL.

When we came off we were just in time for Tiki Room. Cman boogied on out. The best part of the whole day was watching Grandma watch the boys. She had such a great time holding Cman and riding rides with the kids!

After Doc headed on a Churro Hunt and we headed to iasw for fireworks. The churro cart was OUT of churros - major saddness. Fortunately for the boys, M didn't want a churro so I got him Dole Whip. M was very glad that I suggested it to him and the boys all shared it.

Finally, Fireworks were cancelled due to winds so we watched snow fall on Small World Mall/Way. There were big CLUMPS of suds and the smell of the bubbles was pretty strong. M & S were not really pleased. As soon as it was over, we headed through Fantasyland and the castle. We walked to the parking structure instead of dealing with the tram crowds and a baby asleep in the stroller. The kid didn't take a nap ALL DAY. He FINALLY fell asleep heading up Main Street on our way out.

It was a great day. I don't remember any cranky CMs. The boys had a BLAST! Grandma had a GREAT TIME! I'm putting together a photo album for her Christmas present and I have her Autopia card, her sticker and her ticket to put in it. Doc got her ticket at work so we were able to get a discounted one-day-one-park ticket. Yeah for discounts! And everyone got home safely tonight when it was over. I just wish the fireworks didn't have to get cancelled :( Oh well!

It was really a great day!

Adrienne

MammaSilva
11-16-2005, 09:24 PM
NOTHING beats holding an adorable little one on your lap on IASW....nuthin! I'm so glad you guys had a great day!

Crazy4DL
11-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Oh Adrienne! What a fun day. I am sure your mom is still smiling. Nothing more perfect than a day at Disneyland with the little grandkids. So glad you all had such a wonderful time together.

lisap
11-17-2005, 05:36 AM
Your mom is a real trooper--mine fades out by about lunch time.:rolleyes: ;)
Sounds like an awesome day--weekdays rule! Post your pic gallery.

Mommy2NicknMax
11-17-2005, 06:23 AM
It sounds like you all had a wonderful time! :)

11-17-2005, 08:38 AM
Mom has only been to DLR once or maybe maybe twice in the past 15 years and NEVER with my kids! (Can you believe it?)

Gasp! Code Blue. Repeat: Code Blue. 3894 is in cardiac arrest.

How can someone live in SoCal and not go to Disneyland all the time? ??

MrsPooh
11-17-2005, 08:39 AM
How awesome! Great trip report!

I just love taking my mom to DL, she loves it, especially her Dapper Dans!

So glad you had a great time! :D

Alice Fan
11-17-2005, 09:04 AM
GREAT trip report! Thanks for sharing!

Raven
11-17-2005, 10:38 AM
It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Thanks for the report. Can't wait for pictures!

Disneynerd
11-17-2005, 11:08 AM
I felt like I was there with you guys. I usually have the urge to fall asleep on the walk out too!
Thanks for sharing!:)

Maus
11-17-2005, 11:39 AM
What a wonderful Disney day! I'll be there next week with a 3-year-old granddaughter (it'll be her second trip). Nothing beats watching the little ones watch everything!

nursemelis374
11-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Great TR! Sounds like you all had a great day!

dsnyredhead
11-17-2005, 06:43 PM
Glad you had a good visit. I'm hoping to take my parents there this weekend along with dh and my two year old.

rentayenta
11-18-2005, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the report AdK, it sounds like you all had a great day! :D