PDA

View Full Version : Asking for AP discounts

Mermaid
11-16-2005, 06:18 PM
I am a new AP holder (yay me!!). When I got it on my last trip, I used it for AP discounts but I always felt like a tool when I asked for it. What is the best way or does it not matter? Also at a sit down place, do you mention it when ordering or when paying? Thanks! I am cheap but don't want to be rude!!

Tinker Bell
11-16-2005, 06:20 PM
I like to use my AP like a ID.Then they know I want the discount. Take it out when you take your cash out they see it a offer the discount. Just a thought

cstephens
11-16-2005, 06:25 PM
I am a new AP holder (yay me!!). When I got it on my last trip, I used it for AP discounts but I always felt like a tool when I asked for it. What is the best way or does it not matter? Also at a sit down place, do you mention it when ordering or when paying? Thanks! I am cheap but don't want to be rude!!

If I'm not sure, I just ask politely - "Do you offer an AP discount?" At a sit-down location, we always mention it when they come to check on us after the food's been brought out, before they bring the check. If they bring the check and you then show them your AP, they have to go redo the check, so we try to catch them beforehand so they don't have to do it twice. They seem to appreciate that.

Darkbeer
11-16-2005, 06:36 PM
With the change in policy regarding AP discounts, now most food locations offer it.

Places that don't, the ODV carts, basically the portable stands that sell Popcorn, Churros, etc... and some limited food locations, such as Catch a Flave or the Corn Dog Cart near First Aid.

Just ask nicely, and if they say no, don't make a fuss.....

You can always get a full list of locations that offer AP holders a discount at Disneyland.com/ap or from the Bank on Main Street.

Mermaid
11-16-2005, 06:49 PM
hmmmm... let me rephrase! I know where I can get discounts but was wondering what is the proper way to mention my AP. Should I just flash it, say "I have an AP" or show when paying. I don't want to be one of those obnoxious people on stupid guest tricks and I work in service and know how annoying people can be about discounts!! Thanks for the quick responses!!

Darkbeer
11-16-2005, 07:02 PM
hmmmm... let me rephrase! I know where I can get discounts but was wondering what is the proper way to mention my AP. Should I just flash it, say "I have an AP" or show when paying. I don't want to be one of those obnoxious people on stupid guest tricks and I work in service and know how annoying people can be about discounts!! Thanks for the quick responses!!

I just pull it out with my credit card or cash if paying at the register, and show it to the cashier...

At table service, I tend to just place it the check folder at the same time I place my credit card....

potzbie
11-16-2005, 07:32 PM
When I pay by credit card, I just flash BOTH cards simultaneously.
The AP card's photo acts as a "photo ID" for the sake of the credit cards.

The member will respond accordingly:
(a.) "... That will be fifteen percent off ..."
(b.) "... Your AP discount is not accepted here, sorry ..."

If it is cash, just place the card atop the cash, and let the Cast Member respond as he/she is trained to respond.

An anecdote:
Once I had breakfast at GRANVILLE'S in the DISNEY HOTEL.
For a sit-down restaurant, I made the mistake of NOT flashing my card as I sat down, because when I asked for my check, the waiter went off and did the calculation and had to re-do the calculation after I flashed my AP and credit card, at the time of presentation.
The waiters/waitresses must know, before they hand you your check, whether to apply whatever discounts.

Don't make my mistake.
"Flash early and often!"

cryan71
11-16-2005, 10:02 PM
I usually flash my AP card with some remark about how I know everything about the park and that I'm ready to go complain to city hall if as much as one piece of trash is anywhere near my table or if the temparature of meal is not satisfactory.

Remember, your an AP, you deserve special treatment. It's your park, they just work in it.

Nancy
11-17-2005, 01:25 PM
On a different post something was mentioned about some CM's not giving the discount at some of the newly added places. I just printed out a copy of the places that offer a discount and the amount from the Disney website and had it along with us just in case there was a question. There was never a problem for us.:cool:

Maus
11-17-2005, 06:37 PM
When I pay by credit card, I just flash BOTH cards simultaneously.
The AP card's photo acts as a "photo ID" for the sake of the credit cards.

The member will respond accordingly:
(a.) "... That will be fifteen percent off ..."
(b.) "... Your AP discount is not accepted here, sorry ..."

What annoys me is when I discreetly show my AP and I get no acknowledgment. Then I have to ask, "Did you see this?"

potzbie
11-17-2005, 06:48 PM
What annoys me is when I discreetly show my AP and I get no acknowledgment. Then I have to ask, "Did you see this?"

Hmmmmm ...
Then you may be TOO discrete.

"To flash" is the opposite of "To discrete" (to coin a verb!).

I've NEVER had the cashier say nothing.
Either YES or NO.
Never silence.

Was the card the topmost item in the stack of bills you pushed across to the cashier?

If they have to touch or move your card to get to the credit card or get to the twenty-dollar bill, I am sure that the cashier will respond accordingly.

Did you blink your big puppy dog eyes, like me, while you wiggled your card?
;)

Mermaid
11-17-2005, 08:21 PM
This is kind of what I kept getting! I don't want to be annoying and like "look look give me a discount," but I want to make sure to get it. That is a good idea to bring it out with the cash. i guess if I am polite I shouldn't worry about it!!

TDBearGrrl
11-17-2005, 08:27 PM
I usually just ask. "Do you give discounts for annual passholders?" I've never gotten any attitude. At the full service restaurants, I usually hand them my pass and ask for the check at the same time.

Leash81
11-18-2005, 12:39 PM
I just ask if they do the discount when I put my stuff on the counter so they know to ring it up that way and I have never had a problem. When we do table service, which we only really do at the Blue Bayou, I usually just put my card in an obvious spot on the table about halfway through the meal that way when our waitperson checks on us they will see the card and know to discount the check. The last time I did this the waitress actually thanked me for letting her know before she rang our check.

DisneyQB
11-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Why be concerned about what they think or others think? Don't be shy about it, just show the discount card. If others around you don't have the same options, they can ask and get a AP card themselves.

I work for Disney in one of their many companies and have a company ID that gets the basic discount. I just show it to them and get the discount... I'm not concerned about those others who might see it. Besides, you can bet the employee helping you flashes their ID card to get their discounts, too!

Besides, if you are an AP holder then you shouldn't shy away from making sure the person taking your money knows to give you the discount.

Just my opinion..

tod
11-21-2005, 02:46 PM
When I reach into my wallet, I pull out my AP and ask "Does this make any difference?"

They tell me.

That's about it.

--t

adriennek
11-21-2005, 07:47 PM
I hand it to them when I give them my credit card and/or cash. Sometimes I hold it up next to my face as if to say, "See, it's really me!"

And I always ask anytime they have a cash register because sometimes information is conflicting. Somewhere I heard someone say that Napa Rose no longer offers an AP discount. Last night we got a 20% discount on our bill! So I figure, it never hurts to ask! If they say no, then I just say, "Ok, no problem, thanks!"

Adrienne