PDA

View Full Version : Help me plan my Disneyland trip for next week!

carolynNstitch
11-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Hi everybody... I am very new here, and I need a lot of help! I've been browsing the forums for a few days and everyone seems very nice here, so I am relieved to have found this place. :D I found out yesterday that I am *finally* getting to go to Disneyland, for the first time!! The date is Tuesday of next week, the 22nd. So now I am frantically trying to make last minute plans!! Please tell me I'm not too late! I've never been to DL before (so excited!) so I have TONS of questions....please be patient with me! If I ask a question that has already been answered in a previous post or elsewhere on the site, please don't hesitate to direct me there. I apologize in advance if I'm asking questions that have already been answered a million times... ^^;;;; But any help on any of these questions that anyone can give me will be so appreciated. I have one day at Disneyland, and I'm gonna do anything I can to make it the best! ^^ I don't know when I'll get to go again...

Ok here we go!

1. Fast pass- I know these get you onto the rides at a certain time, right? How do I get them, and what's the best way to go about doing it? Any pitfalls I should look out for?

2. Fantasmic- How do I get tickets, and how much do they cost? ;__; Please tell me I'm not too late!

3. What is the best place to watch the fireworks at the castle, and what time should I get there to get a good seat? I really want to see Tinkerbell, I think that's priority. ^^

4. Is Toontown any fun for adults? We have no kids with us, will two adults find anything amusing there? And do you need tickets to get in? I thought I heard somebody having trouble trying to get into "Toontown Madness"?

5. Does Frontierland have a place where you can dress up in Old West clothes and have your picture taken? If so, how much does it cost?

6. I want to buy some of Lilo and Stitch merchandise, where would be the best place for this?

7. Is the breakfast with the Princesses only for people staying at the hotel?

That's all I have for now. I really appreciate any help you guys can give me (even if it's just a link to a website that will help me). If I have more questions (ok I'm sure I will ^^), would it be best to post them in a new thread, or would that seem excessive? I can just add them onto this one, if it would be more polite.

Thank you again, and nice to meet you all!
Carolyn

Wendi
11-15-2005, 06:56 PM
1. Fast pass- I know these get you onto the rides at a certain time, right? How do I get them, and what's the best way to go about doing it? Any pitfalls I should look out for?
You just go to the "Fastpass Distribution" area for each ride that you want FP for... check your fastpass ticket to see when you can get your next fastpass, the general rule is that you can't have two at the same time, but if one is for a much later window, there will be a time telling you when you can get the next one (probably in an hour).

2. Fantasmic- How do I get tickets, and how much do they cost? ;__; Please tell me I'm not too late!
You don't need tickets for F! unless you want to sit in the balcony or in the reserved riverside seating area. Each of these are dessert buffets and I believe they're somewhere around $56 per ticket now... you can sit along the riverfront for free otherwise.

3. What is the best place to watch the fireworks at the castle, and what time should I get there to get a good seat? I really want to see Tinkerbell, I think that's priority.
Right in front of the castle at the hub is the best spot. Find a spot that gives you an unobstructed view of the front of the castle AND the matterhorn and you'll be very happy! The timing really depends on how busy it is. For just two people, you'll likely be able to find some space to squeeze into about an hour before the show... but go look a few hours early to see how the area looks.

4. Is Toontown any fun for adults? We have no kids with us, will two adults find anything amusing there? And do you need tickets to get in? I thought I heard somebody having trouble trying to get into "Toontown Madness"?
I'm not a fan of Toontown, and even though I have a kid, I don't go there often. You don't need tickets, "Toontown Madness" is an early entry special - Toontown opens an hour later than the rest of the park, this allows entry during that hour. If you want to get pictures with Mickey & Minnie, this is a good place to go for it... otherwise, TBH with only one day in DL, I'd probably skip it. JMHO though.

5. Does Frontierland have a place where you can dress up in Old West clothes and have your picture taken? If so, how much does it cost?
Not that I'm aware of, but it sure would be fun!

6. I want to buy some of Lilo and Stitch merchandise, where would be the best place for this?
I don't know specifically where to find L&S, but I would check the Emporium on Main Street USA, and World of Disney in DTD for the most merchandise. The shops in Adventureland tend to be big on Stitch usually, but it seems that right now they are more dedicated to retro DL stuff.

7. Is the breakfast with the Princesses only for people staying at the hotel?
I don't know if there is a Princess breakfast at this time. There is a Lilo & Stitch breakfast at Paradise Pier Hotel, Minnie & Friends at the Plaza Inn in DL, Chip & Dale Breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe in Disney's Grand Californian Hotel, and Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel. If you want princesses, go to Ariel's Grotto in DCA for lunch or dinner... we did dinner on Thursday and it was wonderful! Great interactions with the princesses!!!

HTH!!!

DangerMouse
11-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Well, I'll see if I can help you a bit.

1. Fastpass. Make sure you read Darkbeer's Joy of Fastpass post here:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=48421&highlight=Fastpass

2. You don't need tickets to view Fantasmic. Unless you are wanting premium seating which includes a dessert buffet.

3. If you are wanting to catch both the fireworks and Fantasmic. I would recommend camping out for a spot to see the fireworks early. Like at least 2 hours early in front of the castle. Try to be to the left hand side near the Plaza Inn. Immediately after the fireworks end, grab your partner and head directly through the Plaza Inn/Rancho de Zocolo tunnel to Adventureland. Then wait with the MOBS to get a spot for Fantasmic by the Rivers of America.

4. There isn't a lot in Toontown for adults. I personally would skip it if you don't have kids. However, if anyone is really wanting to meet Mickey or Minnie in their houses, then you gotta go there. Toontown Morning Madness is a special privilege for those who book their travel through the Walt Disney Travel Co.

5. Frontierland doesn't have an old tyme photo spot, but I believe there is one on Main St. (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) Don't have details as I have never done it myself.

6. You can get Lilo & Stitch stuff at the World of Disney in DTD. I bet DCA would have a lot of it as well.

7. Breakfast with the princesses is currently at Ariel's Grotto in DCA. It is not only for hotel guests. If you are wanting to do this you should get preferred seating reservations. I know there are lots of posts here about Ariel's. Just do a search under "Ariel's Grotto".

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

DangerMouse
11-15-2005, 07:08 PM
Correction: Wendi is right, Ariel's is only lunch and dinner.

truesally
11-15-2005, 08:01 PM
Couple of tidbits (since the others have pretty much nailed your actual questions) ~

For a fun, unique, inexpensive & quick souvenir alternative to the dress-up photo - get a silhouette done at the little shop on Main Street. It's a tiny place, on the right as you head toward the hub. If I'm remembering correctly, it's around $10 for two silhouettes (the artist cuts two pieces of paper simultaneously) + frame, and they'll put yours & your friend's into one frame if you want. It takes 2 minutes! My husband & I did it on our honeymoon, and we had our kids' done a couple of years ago. Love it!

I second the suggestion to read DarkBeer's fastpass manifesto ;) It's not a tough system to crack, just detail-oriented, and you want to know it like your SSN so you can get tons done in a day!

Regarding ToonTown - my husband & I like silly gags, so the puns and goofiness were fun for us even before the kids. It only takes a few minutes to go in & listen to the mailboxes and such, if you love that. Seeing Minnie & Mickey might take an hour or more, depending on the crowd. When we got there at the opening time, we saw both + their houses (more cute gags inside) in about 45 minutes. If these things aren't priorities, I agree with the others - leave it for next time.

About shopping - if you have a partial day before you have to head out, shop in Downtown Disney then and spend all of your ticketed day riding in the parks. Does that make sense? For example, we have 5-day hoppers but are not actually leaving for the airport until 3:30 pm on the 6th day. So we are spending that morning doing Club Libby Lu and Build-A-Bear since we don't need park tickets to get to DTD, and using our 'park time' to the max.

You're actually arriving the day we're leaving!

HAVE FUN!! Remember everything ~ take lots of pictures!

Micmousetoo
11-15-2005, 08:20 PM
I just wanted to add that my husband and I don't have young children and we enjoy a leisurely stroll through ToonTown. Probably more so during the Christmas season as it is really dressed up for the occasion!! You can have someone take a lovely picture of you and a loved one infront of one of the many street lamps that have Christmas wreaths on them. We also enjoy riding the Gadget roller coaster. It's tiny and the ride seems to last less then 45 seconds but our inner child comes out evey time we see the ride and we find ourself in the line.:p ToonTown in the summer or on a hot day is the worst place to be in DL. But during Christmas we enjoy a quick tour.

annieb727
11-16-2005, 06:24 AM
a cool thing to use is ridemax -- you enter in the rides you want to go on, and the date you will be there and then it gives you a list of the order to do it and approximate wait times -- very cool www.ridemax.com
cost is $14.95 for a 90 day subscription, 1 year is $24.95.

also...fantasmic will not be showing the day you are there - you said you were going next tuesday (Nov 15), right?

here's a list of the entertainment stuff at DL and DCA for that day:

DL - open 10am-8pm
Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams 6pm
Small World Lighting Moment 4:45pm
Fireworks 7:45pm
Billy Hill & the Hillbillies 11:45am, 1:15pm, 3pm, 4:15pm, 5:30pm
Flag Retreat Ceremony 4pm
Closed: Mad Tea Party

DCA - open 10am-6pm
Block Party Bash 5:15pm
DCA Tree Lighting 5pm
Playhouse Disney (you said no kids, so you probably don't want to see this)

The showtime info i got from the DL website.

Also, if you are planning to shop on Mainstreet, wait until the park closes...after the main part of the park closes, stores stay open an hour or two (someone correct me if my time is wrong here) so you can get your shopping done then. With the park closing so early (8pm), you can also do Downtown Disney Shopping after the park closes.

samkj
11-16-2005, 06:43 AM
a
also...fantasmic will not be showing the day you are there - you said you were going next tuesday (Nov 15), right?
;)

Ummm, November 15 was yesterday, she's going next week, the 22nd.
;) So yes the Fantasmic show will be playing!

pisces
11-16-2005, 07:17 AM
Question #5: Knotts Berry Farm has the old-west costumes at their Ghost Town General Store.

The Overland Gun Shop has all kinds of holsters and other wild-west items.

"Pitchur Gallery" is where you pose for pictures in old-west costumes.

-----Again, that's all in Ghost Town at Knotts Berry Farm, which isn't too far from Disneyland.