PDA

View Full Version : When to get the lowest rate at Grand Californian Hotel

Aristocat
11-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Well, my long weekend at the GCH has come and gone (sigh) so, of course, I'm already thinking about the next time.
Does anyone know off-hand when GCH offers their lowest rates? The end of January and mid-week? Or sometime in February?

TDBearGrrl
11-14-2005, 07:16 PM
My birthday typically falls around Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday Weekend. In 2003 K was able to get a great rate for that weekend. On Monday morning when were given our 'bill' under the door, they offered us one more night for $99. I think she paid $139 for the other two nights.

I have found the people at reservations to be really nice, I would call and check with them...

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
11-14-2005, 07:57 PM
179 with an Ap for the first week in january, havent seen anything much lower than that since last year

DangerMouse
11-15-2005, 05:45 AM
Expedia has had last minute specials as low as $169. I got this rate at the beginning of June. If you are willing to book a higher rate, and then wait for a last-minute special to come up about 7 days prior to your trip, this strategy sometimes works.

Dis Ohana
11-15-2005, 12:11 PM
We were at GCH last December 4 - 9, the rates were pretty reasonable, I think around $200 per night. The crowds at the parks were non-existent, we had a wonderful time. We decided to take another trip to DL this year, but started planning rather late in the game. I called WDTC on October 21 and was told that all rooms at the DLR were sold out. I was able to get a room by calling DLR directly...but the cost per night is $370! On the last night of our stay, only a concierge level room is available for $650.
We really want to stay at this hotel, but I'm starting to wonder if the cost is worth it. Do you think prices would be lowered as it gets closer to the date? We are going on December 5 - 10. And do the Disney people let you make new reservations at a lower price if you're already holding those high priced reservations?
Another thing..since I've got your attention. We HATE crowds, which is why we planned our trip on what is supposed to be a low attendance time. It worked beautifully last year - but I'm starting to get nervous after reading several posts on how crowded the parks have been. Do you think this trend will continue through beginning December?

tinker3
11-15-2005, 12:46 PM
I had a hotel on hold, hoping that GC would come up on expedia, and it didn't happen. I checked every day a few weeks before our trip and there was nothing. I think it is a very busy year for Disneyland, 50th bday and all. As it turned out our other hotel was great! We were just there a couple weeks ago (we like to go 1st week of Nov. because it's slow) and although the hotels appeared sold out, the Park was still quite slow.

Crazy4DL
11-15-2005, 12:51 PM
.As it turned out our other hotel was great! We were just there a couple weeks ago .

Which hotel was it?

tinker3
11-16-2005, 01:03 PM
The Homewood Suites! I know it's no GC, but my expectations weren't too high and we were very happy with it. Huge bedrooms with a family room and small kitchen area! Pretty good breakfast (and free) and evening reception. Fresh warm cookies when you get back every night! I was worried about the shuttle service and making a lot of stops, but it was great, always on time and only one other stop. I would love to stay at the GC but I just can't reasonably pay a few hundred dollars a night! I would love to find a great deal:) Maybe next year!

Crazy4DL
11-16-2005, 01:50 PM
thanks, tinker3 :) I would love to stay at the GCH too but we usually have such a large group with us that it would cost a small fortune. I will have to check on the Homewood Suite. I think a good friend of mine stays there too.