PDA

View Full Version : Observations from Yesterday (mini-trip report) (11/13/05)

SanDiegoDayTripper
11-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Just a few comments/observations from our day trip to DLR yesterday, Sunday Nov.13:

Overall, we had a great day! We are AP's, so we don't need to go on everything every visit, and have a "we'll do it next time" philosophy. I actually thought the crowds were light/moderate.

I'll put the most important one first, so if someone only scans this, they'll still see it: the Reindeer Roundup area is WONDERFUL! We were there at 6:15, and the lights looked beautiful, waited about 5 minutes for picture with Santa in the cabin (turned out so well I might use it for Xmas cards), there was line-dancing, ring-the-wreath-on-the-antlers game, cookie decorating for $5, reindeer to pet, did I mention the lights? We were there for a full hour, almost with the place to ourselves, and the cast members were so great. They also had art projects, and you could immediately view your Santa photo at a wagon back by the cookie counter. We told every CM we saw how fun everything was, I hope they continue this!!

Parked in the Timon lot at 9:45 a.m.

No lines at security, entrance to DCA at 10:00, entrance to DL at 1:15

At DCA, Santa area in Sunshine Plaza is well-themed, with painted surfboards, beach chairs, Santa in Hawaiian shirt

Seems a little strange to have Christmas themed music playing already

Lots of characters out in Sunshine Plaza, all in holiday outfits

No problem getting Soarin' fastpasses, first show of Playhouse Disney was three-quarters full

No lin for lunch at Taste Pilot's

Fastpasses for Space Mountain at 1:30 were for 9:30-10:30 p.m.

Autopia was a 5-minute wait, Star Tours walk-on, Buzz fast passes about one hour later, Pirates had both lines open, queue went back to greeter but moved quickly

No line for dinner at River Belle Terrace

Reindeer Roundup was practically empty at 6:15

Small World Holiday was a walk-on during the 7:15 parade

Matterhorn was a 5-minute wait at 7:45.

Main Street only had a few people sitting on the curb at 8:30 waiting for the fireworks, could still walk the hub

The weather got pretty chilly when the sun went down

As you can see, we waited for practically nothing, but then again we didn't need to do much, avoided the parades/fireworks, and ate early lunch & dinner.

Andrew
11-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip, and thanks for the info about the Reindeer Roundup. We're trying to determine if a December trip is going to happen this year and this might be a deciding factor.

lisap
11-14-2005, 07:04 PM
I saw the reindeer roundup on Saturday and thought it was muy cool. Lots of detailed decorations and Christmas spirit abounding.;) Live music, cookies, reindeer, Santa...it's the perfect fit for that area of the park.

Barebalou
11-14-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm getting soooo excited! I've been checking in several times a day for "tips" on what to do, where to go and the times to be there! Thanks to everyone for sharing :)

forthekids
11-14-2005, 11:00 PM
What a relief! We will be there Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday and I was having panic attacks after hearing about the Veterans Day crowds. Thanks for the tips too!

sixwoofys
11-15-2005, 02:44 AM
We go every Thanksgiving and have never found the crowds bad. This year we are leaving Tues night and staying through Sat. It usually starts getting more crowded Thurs night and then more as you move into the weekend. But we've never found it to be too bad. We usually go in early in the AM (4 kids under 7). Then we are ready to leave around 12 - 1:00 for lunch. That's when alot of people seem to be coming in. Then we come back in about 4:00 or so and that seems to be when alot of people are leaving for dinner. This system has worked for us well for the past 10 years or so.

HydroGuy
11-15-2005, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback! We have a day trip on Wed before Thanksgiving, and I had planned to skip Santa and the reindeer at DL, mostly because I figured it would be too crowded. Based on your experience we will try to work it in.

SanDiegoDayTripper
11-15-2005, 09:46 AM
I'm so happy to see that others might try to add on a visit to the round up. We found it a perfect break after dinner, and as I said, the night we were there it was empty, and the lights were so wonderful to experience. Santa and Mrs. Claus were great with the kids, great photos. Lots of benches and picnic tables to sit and rest.

One more thing I wanted to add -- my kids are 6,5, and 2, and DL veterans. We go about every two months. I'm honestly not sure if every kid will be as easily entertained as mine. My 5 yo son played ring around the antlers for about 25-30 minutes, and my 6yo daughter colored her picture for about 20 minutes. My two yo loved all the characters, and basically just walked around. Not every family will spend as much time there as we did, but it IS DEFINITELY worth at least a walk-by just to see the lights and Santa.