PDA

View Full Version : Le Bat en Rouge

Boingo
11-14-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm one of those HMH/NBC nuts so I spend a decent amount (and waaaay too much money) of time in this store.

When I last went (10/17-21) my SO said that he thought they'd have Corpse Bride merchandise as well. "No" I replied "Corpse Bride is Warner Brothers."

Well lo and behold on my last day, they had a brand new rack of CB shirts.

Um...huh? How did Disney manage to get the rights to sell a Warner Brother (albeit Tim Burton) product? :confused:

On a totally unrelated and irrelevant note, I'm heading back 11/27 for 3 nts.

Vegitabeta
11-14-2005, 01:36 PM
There was a thread on this somewhere, and I was wondering the same thing!

cstephens
11-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Here's the prior thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=49389).

lilypad
11-14-2005, 08:50 PM
I think all of Tim Burtons movies are Warner Brothers, even Nightmare Before Christmas. Tim Burton even used to work for Disney as an animator, so maybe that has something to do with selling Warner Brothers merchandise at Disney.

Gone2Disneyland
11-14-2005, 09:05 PM
I think all of Tim Burtons movies are Warner Brothers, even Nightmare Before Christmas.

That's not true. "The Nightmare Before Christmas" is a Disney film, distributed by Touchstone Pictures (I just checked my DVD :) )

I think the reason why the park offers "Corpse Bride" merch is simple. They want to make money, and Tim Burton's new movie (by way of it's similarity to NBC as well as being a Burton flick) is another avenue to generate more sales. It's the same (and for me, annoying) reason that the park used to have Power Rangers action figures in seemingly every store. I think the show may have run on ABC Family at some time, but I still couldn't connect it as a favorable Disney property, at least one that should be so prominently displayed at Disneyland, taking up space from Mickey and Minnie plush. :eek: But I bet during it's hey day, Power Rangers merch pulled in a satisfactory sales into Disney.

TowerofTerror
11-14-2005, 09:06 PM
i like that store a lot but i wont buy anything in there everything in there is so highly priced.

tod
11-14-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm one of those HMH/NBC nuts so I spend a decent amount (and waaaay too much money) of time in this store.

When I last went (10/17-21) my SO said that he thought they'd have Corpse Bride merchandise as well. "No" I replied "Corpse Bride is Warner Brothers."

Well lo and behold on my last day, they had a brand new rack of CB shirts.

Um...huh? How did Disney manage to get the rights to sell a Warner Brother (albeit Tim Burton) product? :confused:

What rights? They can sell anything they want. They sell Coca-Cola, they sell Stetson hats, they sell No Fear (or something) T-shirts in Adventureland. They choose not to sell Bugs Bunny and otehr Warner Bros. DVDs, but they could if they wanted to.

--t

Another Dimension
11-14-2005, 10:01 PM
The same way you can buy Disney merch at Knotts, Universal and at uncountable 'Hollywood' touristy shops across southern California. The same way Hot Topic sells Disney and Univesral and Warner Bros products.

When mass licensing and mass money is involved, many companies aren't concerned at all with 'confusion in the marketplace' when their licensed products (especially Disney's) stand out and aren't overshadowed by other merchandise.
Disney and Warner Bros (in this case) thought 'some' Disneyland park guests (and Corpse Bride fans) might find it convenient to browse some other Tim Burton-related and dark/macabre movie merchandise and toys in the same place that sells tons and tons of other Tim Burton merch annually to Burton fans. Yes, even at Disneyland.
Obviously they were correct in their assumption and product placement.
:)

SandraVB79
11-15-2005, 12:12 AM

Why would Warner Bros object to another store that sells its products, and thus generating more money for the company? After all, we are not talking exclusive merchandise here.

Why would Disney NOT sell the merchandise, since half of the people will think it's Disney anyways (like many people still think that Shrek, Antz, ... are Disney). Selling the CB merchandise generates money into Disney's pockets.

11-15-2005, 05:00 AM
Why would Warner Bros object to another store that sells its products, and thus generating more money for the company? After all, we are not talking exclusive merchandise here.

Right and we're not talking about Disney manufacturing Warner Bros merch, just selling it.

JeffG
11-15-2005, 07:40 AM
I think all of Tim Burtons movies are Warner Brothers, even Nightmare Before Christmas. Tim Burton even used to work for Disney as an animator, so maybe that has something to do with selling Warner Brothers merchandise at Disney.

Burton has worked for quite a few studios, although he has done more films for Warner Bros than any others. "Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Ed Wood" were both Disney/Touchstone, "Beetlejuice" was Geffen (although Warner Bros did handle distribution), "Sleepy Hollow" was Paramount, "Planet of the Apes" was 20th Century Fox, and "Big Fish" was Columbia.

-Jeff

DaddyB
11-15-2005, 07:52 AM
I'd heard a rumor that one of the reasons we have HMH one more year is because of the timing of the release of Corpse Bride and it's similarities to NBC... and an agreement to sell some CB merchandise in the stores.

(enough abbreviations?)

I included a picture of the "Corpse Bride" merchandise (T-Shirts) in my weekly photo update several weeks ago.

wishIwasthe_Mouse
11-15-2005, 08:01 AM
My Wife and I were just there on 11/12. I was so stoked when she suprised me and got me the NBC baseball jersey. I love it. I am also a huge NBC fan. I even have a tatto of Tim Burtons orriganal sketch of Jack on my arm.. any way we also just got our New Premium Passes so I am sure we sill be going up again soon. :)

prncsmsj
11-15-2005, 08:48 AM
It's the same (and for me, annoying) reason that the park used to have Power Rangers action figures in seemingly every store. I think the show may have run on ABC Family at some time, but I still couldn't connect it as a favorable Disney property, at least one that should be so prominently displayed at Disneyland, taking up space from Mickey and Minnie plush.
Disney bought Power Rangers from Saban Entertainment in 2001. On the original topic, I love Corpse Bride! I am excited to see the stuff in the store next month.