PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Cast Member Question

all4thx
03-15-2002, 11:20 PM
I am doing some research on amusement park careers at the moment and have a couple of questions specific to the Disneyland Resort theme parks.

I would like to know how fast do employees move up the ranks at Disneyland Park or Disney's California Adventure. Basically, how fast do people move from an hourly part-time cast member to a full-time salaried manager? How long on average does it take? It is imporant that you detail it to the point of a full time salaried position.

Now the person I want you to estimate this time for would have a college degree and possibly be eligible already to hire in for a management position. Basically, they have some experience already. So they're already far ahead of your typical teenage worker.

Please respond with some scenarios for this type of person including the number of months/years it would take and in which area you're talking about like outdoor vending, attractions, guest relations, admissions, retail, etc. If you can detail the estimated time for the different leaps like from regular cast member to trainer or lead then to manager I would appreciate it.

I am compiling this information for a survey comparing the different theme parks and how fast people move through the ranks. The information will be used to write an article for people graduating from college who want to pursue careers in amusement park management. PLEASE do not provide actual names of people. Also, you won't be quoted and you won't be my only source.

Thank you in advance for your response if you can provide one.

Morrigoon
03-15-2002, 11:25 PM
The best way to move up in Disney is to leave it.

You used the "D" on your resume, to get you a better, higher job, then you can slide sideways back into Disney down the road. Internal movement is slow for most (I say most because I know of a management-type who has moved up quickly, but then again, she's also the best manager of people I've EVER seen, ANYWHERE)

tikiboy
03-16-2002, 07:14 AM
There is one saying that epitomizes the management path at Disneyland:
It's not what you know, it's who you know.

The selection of managers is very politically motivated. If you tick off the wrong person, you can forget about moving up until that person moves on.

Now I know that this is true for every place of employment, but I've worked at another theme park, and currently I work in aerospace. And I've yet to see politics play in so heavily as I did at Disneyland.

HondaBoy
03-16-2002, 11:07 AM
"Pick a career you really like--I'm not kidding about this--even if it is something other people may tell you is not trendy, 'has no future' or seems to have a low probability of success, like art or botany. I think you can only be successful if you really like what you are doing." Ben Schwegler, Research and Development, Walt Disney Imagineer

I mean if you really want to work at the Big D. don't mind what people say. Don't worry if you hear gossip that people there are being layed off, that's true for pretty much anywhere you work. If they don't need you they get rid of you. I'm actually going back to working at the Disneyland resort myself coming from a job that pays $3 - $4 more per hour with $16 an hour Sunday pay (yes I'm a student still so I consider that pretty good money, but money ain't everything). The job I'm currently at I really dislike (has really hurt my studies do to excessive hours and poor working conditions) and I would like to eventually get a full time salaried position within the W.D.I. ranks after I get my MBA in Business. From the time I was there as a store ops CM, you could be a lead right after your probationary period like a person I knew. From there, if you impress your managers with your leadership skills and ability to handle tough situations, you may be promoted to manager before you know it. If you already have a BA degree, you could go apply at TDA for a salaried full time position inside the parks.

all4thx
03-16-2002, 12:21 PM
I appreciate the comments so far, but I want to emphasize the fact that I DO NOT want to work for Disney.

I am quite happily employed as a writer and as a consultant for the amusement industry. I have already done my time in the parks. This is information is for young professionals who want to work in the parks.

tabacco
03-16-2002, 12:32 PM
I think the second person has been used so far in a purely generic way. As in, not you personally :)

tinkfreak
03-16-2002, 08:14 PM
You can't get far on merrit alone. You have to love booty kissing.
Never say anything to anyone you don't want repeated 100 times. It takes YEARS - if you ever get there.