PDA

View Full Version : Build a Bear

Disneymomma
11-12-2005, 08:33 PM
My daughter really wants to do this at Downtown Disney.

Can you give me an approximate cost on one?

Thanks!

CariBelle
11-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Their website: buildabear.com has prices for all of their bears and other animals and most of the clothing. I don't know if they have the Disney specific accessories on the site, but you can get a general idea. As for my own experience ( I used to work at BAB) they can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. The basic bear is $10.00 which includes the bear itself, the stuffing, birth cert or story, bear home, and ribbons for the bears ears. You can stop there and spend no more, or you can add clothing, accessories, etc.

MammaSilva
11-12-2005, 08:55 PM
The truth is it depends on how well you can say no....you can build a basic bear and get a basic tshirt for less than 25 bucks...BUT the average bear, completely decked out to include shoes and accessories is going to run between 40/50 bucks. You can go to the Build a Bear website and get a good feel for what the bear your child will want will cost. Not all stores have all the outfits featured online and the Downtown Disney Store has items specific to Disneyland Resort.

Hope that helps.

SneakyStella
11-12-2005, 09:02 PM
I took my son there earlier this month and we got out only spending $22. What a deal that was! He had so much fun making his bear and he just adores it! Keep in mind that we had a $5.00 off coupon that we got in our "Fun Book" we received from Walt Disney Travel. The bears alone start at around $10. and go up from there. My son got an adorable fluffy one for $16. (Read-a-Bear) and got one outfit for him. The outfits are around $10. I can see how it can easily get expensive when you start adding in all the accessories. They have lots of clothes, underwear, boxers, socks, shoes, skates, skateboards, cell phones and so much more. If you steer clear of all that stuff, you can easily make a special bear for under $30. Have fun, your daughter will enjoy it.

hlbtimes2
11-12-2005, 10:35 PM
I took my son there earlier this month and we got out only spending $22. What a deal that was! He had so much fun making his bear and he just adores it! Keep in mind that we had a $5.00 off coupon that we got in our "Fun Book" we received from Walt Disney Travel. The bears alone start at around $10. and go up from there. My son got an adorable fluffy one for $16. (Read-a-Bear) and got one outfit for him. The outfits are around $10. I can see how it can easily get expensive when you start adding in all the accessories. They have lots of clothes, underwear, boxers, socks, shoes, skates, skateboards, cell phones and so much more. If you steer clear of all that stuff, you can easily make a special bear for under $30. Have fun, your daughter will enjoy it.

That is exactly what I was going to say. We had the coupon also. My son got the cheapest bear ( I really played up how cute that bear was, and sold him on it before we looked at the rest). He got it a Buzz Lightyear outfit. After the coupon, with tax, I think it was $22. My daughter got a more expensive bear with a cheaper outfit, and also spent $22 after the coupon (we had 2 coupons).

Set a limit and stick to it! It doesnt have to cost a fortune to be fun. It really is a fun experience!

Disneymomma
11-13-2005, 07:19 AM
Thank you so much for all the info.
She will be spending her own Christmas/spending money on it, so she can 'budget' herself.
Those prices sound really reasonable to me!

Such a cute souveneir!!

annieb727
11-13-2005, 08:08 AM
hubby and i did bears when we were there...got them the mickey & minnie ears and tee shirts - and we spent about $100 on two bears

Also, there is an annual pass discount (ALL annual passes - not just premium) - something like $5 off of any purchase of $25 or more. dh and I purchased ours separately so we got the discount twice :p

msgmg68
11-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi there! My son made a build a bear, however it was in our town, not at Downtown Disney. My advice to you would be to make sure that the size bear your daughter wants has a good selection of clothes to fit it. My son chose the smallest bear and we can never find clothes for it.

Good luck!

AlbertaMinnie
11-14-2005, 10:42 AM
My two dd's each built a bear this July - one with the Tinkerbell outfit and the other with the Sleeping Beauty outfit. I also bought the 50th Anniversary Outfit for a bear I have at home. We got out of there only spending about $65.00. It can be done! Oh yeah, and the memories of building those bears together are worth their weight in gold!