PDA

View Full Version : What is it? ("Mystery" building in Fantasyland)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Disney Daddy of 4
11-12-2005, 02:51 PM
In the back of Fanatasyland, next to the train, there is a house up in the trees. What is it? Is it open to the public?

disneyperson
11-12-2005, 02:54 PM
It's where the skyway ended in Fantasyland. I miss the sky buckets so much.

Opus1guy
11-12-2005, 07:13 PM
See this thread on it from back in July:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=44679

SoCalSteven
11-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Amen.

twist1980
11-13-2005, 02:18 AM

The missing sky buckets (and people mover) just make you wonder why they took out high capicity rides for nothing...

Crazy4DL
11-13-2005, 06:08 AM

Me too. :crying:

I loved them. It was such a peaceful ride, looking out over DL. :)

olegc
11-13-2005, 08:57 AM
The missing sky buckets (and people mover) just make you wonder why they took out high capicity rides for nothing...

well, in the case of skyway, the supposed issue was one word
liability

but no one from DLR has ever "confirmed" it...

Bolivar
11-13-2005, 09:40 AM
Liability for what? People droping things on people below?

Opus1guy
11-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Liability was certainly one of the issues with the Skyway attraction.

But actually the main reasons were about maintaining Disneyland's (and WDW's) design "differential" with other amusement parks, and also with simple show quality considerations.

First, when the Skyway opened it was unique. Today, many chintzy theme parks feature their own Skyways.

Second, show quality. It was felt by most Imagineers that having what looked like high tension towers and wires strung through park with what had become basically another junky bucket ride that gave you mainly views of cracking rooftops with air conditioning units and other visual intrusions, and that you could find at many other crummy parks these days...that it was time for this old attraction to go.

Even many retired Disney Legends and other old-timers agreed that while it's always tough to pull the plug on one of "Walt's attractions"...that is probably what Walt would have done. Keeping with his "I can always tear something down..." philosophy of change.

At Disneyland, I miss it too. But only from a nostalgia point-of-view. As far as how the levels of show quality have progressed and improved and changed over the years, I think the Skyway outlived it's original purpose and place in Disneyland. I like to think that if Walt were around, he'd have eventually agreed and said, "Boys, it's time to pull that one. Just doesn't fit any longer with what we're trying to do these days."

Now having said and/or opinioned all that...I have to say that I'm surprised with the previous design qualities and disciplines that were traditional for Disney parks being thrown out the window by the previous and now mostly gone (thankfully!) corporate management team...and with all the things that would never be accepted in Disney parks that started popping up all over the place...that the Eisner/Pressler camp didn't install the Skyway in California Adventure. It fits the cheap "carny" atmosphere of the Pier area (something which Walt detested and was everything he wanted to get away from when he created Disneyland) of California Adventure perfectly. It's also a relatively cheap type ride to install. Amazed it didn't make into CA for that reason alone. And I don't say that as a good thing, either. :)

olegc
11-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Liability for what? People droping things on people below?

i think Opus1guy also made good points - but as far as liability you have what you mentioned -but also people jumping out. documented case in mousears by david koenig was a man who jumped out on top of the tree near Alice/Tea Cups.

only 1 of a few - but the liability issue has been growing on the minds of DLR legal for along time now. look at the splash log redo, the extra tape around simple stairs or raised curbs, etc... lawyers thinking up ways they can get sued and trying to cirumvent that...

one good thing that came of liability concerns (imho) are the air gates at attractions to prevent you from getting in the way of a coaster train. while i think some folks need to figure out their own responsibility level - this overall is a good thing (especially if it's well themed)..

Osky
11-13-2005, 12:26 PM
I heard one of the biggest reasons was because it was not ADA compliant. However, that might of been the good PR reason to remove it when the real reason was along the lines of what Opus1Guy stated.

Susan L
11-13-2005, 01:26 PM

This is the one ride I miss the most:crying:

dldhistory
11-13-2005, 02:38 PM
One of the reasons i heard (grain of salt) of why they have not torn down or done something with the Fantasyland station of the Skyway is because there is a huge counter weight under the building..

Fantasyland Station
Now:

http://www.dldhistory.com/gallery.asp?Tab=Disneyland&Page=7&ID=511&Current=4

And In Operation:
http://www.dldhistory.com/gallery.asp?Tab=Disneyland&Page=7&ID=511&Current=19

GrumpyUTboi
11-13-2005, 02:57 PM
my parents would never take us on it when we were kids, so I can't say that I miss something that I never went on

Nancy
11-13-2005, 03:26 PM
They should use the building for picture pick-up when you have your picture taken in front of the castle. That would free up some of the line on Main St.

I Heart Disneyland!
11-13-2005, 03:41 PM

ME TOO! I love that ride. Sigh. Memories of childhood and early adulthood. Sigh again.

sunfun94
11-13-2005, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE=dldhistory]One of the reasons i heard (grain of salt) of why they have not torn down or done something with the Fantasyland station of the Skyway is because there is a huge counter weight under the building..

[QUOTE]

Forgive me for asking such a lame question...but what do you mean by counter weight under the building? i have never heard of such a thing...what purpose do they normally serve? thanks for humoring me! lol..

Susan L
11-13-2005, 07:04 PM
They should use the building for picture pick-up when you have your picture taken in front of the castle. That would free up some of the line on Main St.

That is a very good idea:D

TTFN92
11-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Forgive me for asking such a lame question...but what do you mean by counter weight under the building? i have never heard of such a thing...what purpose do they normally serve? thanks for humoring me! lol..

I was wondering the same thing ;) .

One of the reasons I miss that ride is because it was such a relaxing way to get over to Tomorrowland or viseversa. I would be nice if they could bring it back in a furturistic fantasy sort of way so it would fit with the theme of the 2 lands.

Doug
11-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Do you have a link for the story/stories of people jumping? I find this hard to believe! I guess if you are going to die, doing so at the "happiest place on earth" would not be so bad ;) haha ...

"air" gates? Why do they call them air gates? Are they pneumatic?

To all: I can not see to find that building, anyone have a distant shot (so I can see the surroundings) then a closer shot? Thanks!

i think Opus1guy also made good points - but as far as liability you have what you mentioned -but also people jumping out. documented case in mousears by david koenig was a man who jumped out on top of the tree near Alice/Tea Cups.

only 1 of a few - but the liability issue has been growing on the minds of DLR legal for along time now. look at the splash log redo, the extra tape around simple stairs or raised curbs, etc... lawyers thinking up ways they can get sued and trying to cirumvent that...

one good thing that came of liability concerns (imho) are the air gates at attractions to prevent you from getting in the way of a coaster train. while i think some folks need to figure out their own responsibility level - this overall is a good thing (especially if it's well themed)..

Doug
11-13-2005, 08:33 PM
ADA?

I heard one of the biggest reasons was because it was not ADA compliant. However, that might of been the good PR reason to remove it when the real reason was along the lines of what Opus1Guy stated.

Chiidesu
11-13-2005, 08:55 PM
I wish we could just walk up to the building to see what it was like now... All we could do is stare at it with nostalgia from afar... I want to touch it... :geek:

Opus1guy
11-13-2005, 09:04 PM
Do you have a link for the story/stories of people jumping? I find this hard to believe!

Well...not people, but person.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/skyway.htm

And I might add...I was at the park when it happened!

ADA?

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm

oregontraveler
11-14-2005, 04:52 AM
ADA?
American Disabilities Act, needs to be wheelchair accesible.

dldhistory
11-14-2005, 10:10 AM

The counter weight would be used to keep the cables tight..depending on the number of people on the ride the cables would sag the counter weight would keep it taught ..make sense?
The counter weight would not be directly connected to the cables but would be attached to the pulley in the station.