PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland -- Winter Attire?

splashmtngurl
11-11-2005, 01:41 PM
we are going to Disneyland on December 6th and it will be our first time ever not going in the spring. We were wondering what you locals would reccomend that we wear....jeans? Shorts?? Heavy Coats???

disneyperson
11-11-2005, 01:56 PM
It's hard to say. You probably will not need heavy coats. You will most likely be fine from morning to night in long pants and t shirts with a sweatshirt or light coat for the early morning and at night. Of course those fuzzy Disney santa hats are awfully nice too.

cakimmy
11-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Really take your pick. LOL. Actually though, just check the weather forecast before you leave. I would probably say though that you would be fine in jeans, a tshirt and a light coat or sweater. Just do some layering.

Just to let you know for example, we were there on Sunday and it was great out not too cold but not to hot either (I was in jeans and a tshirt). However when we left the park at around 4:00 p.m. there must have been a cold front come through because it got cool and looked like it was going to rain (I even put the sweaters on the kids). We may be having a warmer weather or it could be cool (I would just look at the weather forecast before you leave) and plan on layers.

annieb727
11-11-2005, 01:59 PM
also - are you naturally colder or warmer than others? this is important to keep in mind...i'm generally on the colder side -- and when we were there in october, I was wearing a sweatshirt a LOT of the time .. for me, i know having a heavy jacket will be a must

Mermaid
11-11-2005, 02:04 PM
I went that weekend last year and was suprised at how cold it was. During the day a long sleeve shirt and jeans was fine. I wore a sweatshirt some days. At night- wow it was cold. The first night I didn't bring a hat and got a huge headache. The next two night I wore a hat and felt much better. I also wore gloves at night because my hands get cold easily. I would say bring a hat and gloves just in case. They don't take up much room in a suitcase and if you need them, you'll be happy!

pisces
11-11-2005, 02:06 PM
You'll need a jacket depending on how late you stay. It gets chilly in the evenings, what with it getting darker sooner.

Something a little stronger than a sweater.....but not necessarily as heavy as a wool coat. An anorak that breathes? Maybe a lined/insulated windbreaker?

This Tuesday, the weather forcast says it will go from a high of 81...to a low of 56 :eek: that's quite a stretch.

The temperature rapidly plummets, after dark, this time of year, even if it gets up to 80 midday.

Just bring a good jacket and throw it into a locker or your car!

experiment626
11-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Jeans & T-shirt w/ a sweatshirt for the early AM and evening.

DianeM
11-11-2005, 03:26 PM
I take a heavy flannel shirt along and wear it in the evenings. It doesn't wrinkle much, keeps me warm, and fits nicely into my backpack during the daytime. A light weight wool shirt would do just as well. You really don't need a heavy coat, although an umbrella might be desirable if the weather is inclement.

we are going to Disneyland on December 6th and it will be our first time ever not going in the spring. We were wondering what you locals would reccomend that we wear....jeans? Shorts?? Heavy Coats???

Disneymomma
11-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Where are the lockers, how much do they cost, and would they fit 4 jackets/4 pairs of gloves in one?
thanks!

splashmtngurl
11-11-2005, 05:10 PM
thanks everyone!!! we will keep this all in mind....thanks for helping us to make our trip the best we can possibly make it!!!

experiment626
11-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Lockers are located on Main Street about half way down.

I think you would need two lockers for 4 coats depending on how bulky they are. The large size ones are about the size of a standard gym locker.

potzbie
11-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Here is an idea that no one posted yet.

(I assume that you were going to (or are willing to) budget $50 or so per person, for souvenir clothing.)

• Pack for ordinary chilly nights (approx. 60 degrees).--No more.
(Here is my idea:)
• For anything needed for warmth, PURCHASE EXTRA NEEDED CLOTHING THERE.
e.g., a fleece hooded sweater--Pullover or zipper.

I was just shopping for a fleece hooded sweater last week.
Thus, my "research" is still fresh in my memory.

List price for fleece pullover = $44 and up.
Biggest stores to carry best selection are probably these:
EMPORIUM (DL), and WORLD OF DISNEY (DTD), and EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN (DCA).
Within Disneyland Park, see Frontierland at Davey Crockett's general mercantile; see Disney Clothiers on Main Street.
Outside Disneyland Park, see DISNEYLAND HOTEL; and see GRAND CALIFORNIAN HOTEL.

If you are interested is saving $11 to $24, or saving 50% off, and if you can travel to DISNEY CHARACTER WAREHOUSE a couple of miles north of DLR (Fullerton, CA; off Harbor Blvd., north of 91 Freeway), and if you are not picky about design or color, you can get DISNEY-logo clothing.

Even cheaper is to go to an ordinary Anaheim OLD NAVY or WALMART or KMART, whatever is in the malls on Harbor Blvd. south of DLR, and pick out a heavy jacket or fleece pullover, for the ordinary price of $16.99 or so, for ordinary (non-Disney) warm clothes.

That will allow you to pack LESS going to Anaheim, but forces you to pack MORE going home. -- A modest trade off.

May I recommend, for the no-budget-limit adventurous guest:

• For the head, go to the BAZAAR in ADVENTURELAND for an Indiana Jones hat.
The wide brim is good for keeping sun out of the eyes, and rain off the neck. The hat has NO Disney logo, so the hat can be worn anywhere, without looking like a tourist-y kitch-like sourvenir, (unlike those oversized Minnie Mouse bedroom slippers you will be wearing when you come home [joke]). You can wear the hat to weddings and funerals, since it is a fully-functional fedora of leather, a la what gentlemen wore in the 1930s and 1940s.

• For the body, go to the BAZAAR in ADVENTURELAND for an Indiana Jones leather jacket.
Likewise, the jackets look pretty cool, and have no gaudy Disney-logo that would prevent you from wearing the jacket back home like in office work or wherever it would out of place to have Mickey Mouse's face staring out on your backside, like a bar mitzva, or a court appearance. (You know what I mean.)
Pricey, though.

But imagine how it would feel to stand in line for the MATTERHORN, at 10:00 p.m. Saturday night, with a 50 minute wait in front of you, wearing your INDIANA JONES fedora and INDIANA JONES leather jacket.
Or wearing your CLASS OF 1928 MICKEY MOUSE fleece hooded sweater, while in the queue for PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN.

I know when I wear my baseball-style jersey with my "Original 1955" logo on the chest, I feel "geared up" for my visit.

MrTomMorrow
11-12-2005, 02:42 AM
Yeah, a light jacket over a long-sleeved shirt and pants have always been sufficient for me during the wintertime at Disneyland.

Leap for Joy
11-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Since no one has mentioned this yet...
If you're going to be seeing Fantasmic! you'll be sitting on very cold ground. Bring something to keep that cold in the ground and not let it soak into your tush! Last year, we sat on a thick blanket doubled over plus stadium chairs, and had gloves and hoods and a blanket wrapped around us, and we were glad to have so much! When you're moving around you don't notice the cold so much, but when you're sitting and waiting it becomes a focus point.

TowerofTerror
11-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Well maybe a fur coat you can wear since Ive seen people wearing them at Disneyland before when Ive gone when it cold.

10-97
11-12-2005, 11:16 AM
We had an interesting experience last year when we went to DL in December for my son's birthday. We drove down from Northern California on Sunday 12/18. The weather for most of the drive was cold and foggy, but it turned to clear and warm when we reached L.A. County. The temperature that day in Anaheim was over 90 degrees.

It felt strange to be in DL during the short December days, enjoying the Christmas decorations, yet walking around in shorts and T-shirt in 90 degree heat.

We had a great time, but I think I'll always pack at least a few summer clothes for a winter trip.

PapiBear
11-12-2005, 11:57 AM
You'll need a parka, snowshoes, thick gloves, and it might not be a bad idea to bring along a face mask when you climb the Matterhorn.

stan4d_steph
11-12-2005, 08:49 PM
You'll need a parka, snowshoes, thick gloves, and it might not be a bad idea to bring along a face mask when you climb the Matterhorn.Don't forget the ice axe!

BlueBayouDIS
11-13-2005, 07:51 AM
splashmtngurl - We have gone that second week of December twice. We wore sweatshirts during the day with pants. At night we needed to bundle up more with jackets. But I am whimp when it comes to cold.

Then last year we went the third week of December and were HOT during the day. We had a Princess Breakfast at the Plaza Inn and were seated outside. My whole family had to remove layers. There were warm winds blowing. It was actually warmer for a couple of days than a prior trip during April. One night we even walked back to the motel at park closing time without jackets on.

SandraVB79
11-14-2005, 12:56 AM
You'll need a parka, snowshoes, thick gloves, and it might not be a bad idea to bring along a face mask when you climb the Matterhorn.

That's what you definitely need when you go to DLP!

When I was at DL end of October, it was cool/cold in the mornings and in the evenings (after dark) and very warm during the day. So I left the hotel wearing pants, a polo-shirt, a sweater and "real" shoes. By the time it was 10 am, the sweater was already a long time in the backpack. By noon, I had changed my polo shirt for a tank top that I did bring with me in my backpack. By the time I was doing "water-rides" like splash or GRR, I changed the real shoes into sandals (also out of my backpack)

By the time we were waiting for Fireworks or Fantasmic, tank top and sandals were back in the backpack, and I wore my poloshirt, sweater and shoes again.

If you think I was carrying around lots of stuff: no, I just have a regular-size backpack (more or less like the ones they sell for the 50th anniversary) and it contained (at noon): 2 sweaters, 2 shirts with short sleeves, and on epair of shoes. Next to that it contained two bottles of water, 2 cameras (digital and regular), sun lotion, some snacks, bandaids, my pintrading-lanyards, etc etc etc
Yes, I specialized in good packing-skills ;-)

You might want to consider an option of taking extra clothes to the park for in case it gets colder/warmer than you thought it would be. You could always return to the hotel, but my feet didn't like that option. And once the backpack is on your back, it doesn't feel quite that heavy anymore!